Topic ClosedFriends reaction’s to prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friends reaction’s to prog
    Posted: October 19 2004 at 14:07

What makes this forum so unique is that we all enjoy a musical movement that is usually shunned by other folks. I have lived in this area for TWENTY years and I personally know two (2) people who know and enjoy progressive rock.

Last night I was having a few games of 9 ball and swilling some Bass and Newcastle ales, whilst discussing this phenomenon with one of those two fellow proggers. He told me stories of being laughed at by friends when he tried to expose them to prog... He related that this experience occurred during prog's heyday (71-74) and got to the point where he became a closet progger.

I knew the feeling. I think Pink Floyd was the only prog band that most of my friends didn't deride me for listening to. I did what I assume many of you did. I dumped those friends and sought out other freaks like me.  

What about you? Any horrific/hilarious stories of prog isolationism?

will View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 14:44

Sadly i dont have any horrific/hilatious stories of prog isolation but most of my friends also have no interest in the progressive movement. Being 17 i think this is to be expected. Some of my friends are metal heads and they appreciate some of the more metal oriantated prog such as opeth (personally i am not sure wether to call them prog or not), Evergrey, dreamtheatre etc. I don't care what they think though because all us proggers know we are superior (joke, we are modest folk really)

Dont worry danbo i lke you.

Edited by will
Long live progression.
Will
5 minute solo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 15:12
most of my freinds wonder how i can listen to long tracks without getting bored
You want the spoon? You can't handle the spoon!
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 15:20
ooh good thread. well my friend pete introduced me to prog and then we both spread the word and now lots of my friends like different prog in small doses. me and pete are the only ones who listen to it all the time (and lots of other genres too). he goes on this site occasionally but i go on here everyday cos i'm a prog manic!

some of my friends have mixed reaction. my friend newman is a strict metal fan. he only likes tool who are on here.

my friend dave loves floyd. likes yes.

my friend oli loves king crimson, pink floyd

most of them acted weiredly to yes. and some of the ummagumma era floyd. my friend oli always laughs when he hears the "aaaah" on the intro to close to the edge. we are all 16/17
The Worthless Recluse
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 15:21
prog has it all
The Worthless Recluse
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 15:26

My friends tell me the song never changes beat and cannot tell when it ends....that's usually because the song hasn't ended in the 20 minute drive to the bar. 

The changes of beat I do not get at all though. The reason I love prog so much is the song is constantly changing. Somehow they can see the diversity of rap but not prog

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 15:47

Christ I must be very lucky!!!

When I was in the Sixth Form (16-18yr old) about 1/3 of us were into prog rock:Genesis,Camel, Yes, Elp and Rush were always on the turntable in the common room.

Most of those lads I still see regularly still treasure their 70's Prog albums, but the miserable old git we have for a Pub Landlord won't let us put any prog on the JukeboxLOL This is probably down to me playing "Child In Time" about 20 times one night a couple of years agoLOLLOL

I remember a priest at my college saying that A Farewell To Kings was one of the most Christian albums he'd ever heard (Obviously never played it backwardsWink) He was intrigued enough to play A Lamb Lies Down On Broadway over and over for a few weeks but I don't know if he thought the album was an allegory of Christ's life.

Edited by Reed Lover

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 16:11
There is nothing better than pulling up to a red light next to a car load of vatos with Tarkus blasting out at max volume and watching as they look at you as though you've just landed from another planet.  
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 16:19

I have a few friends who quite some of what I listern to. mY best mate is a gyitarist and we both grew up on Heavy Metal and Prog rock. He likes Rush and Genesis

My girlfriend, like me is a lifelong Rush fan, and also doesn't mind some Genesis (1975 - 1980) and some Marillion, but she is more of a metalhead really.

School was the worst for having the p!ss taken! I was frequently asked how life was down on the farm, after making the mistake of bringing in a Tull album on my Walkman! With regard to my liking of Heavy Metal there was one guy everyday who would shout across the common room, 'How's Satan' and 'Did you eat any bats over the weekend'

I once put 2112 on the stereo in the common room, and the room erupted in laughter as soon as Geddy Lee opened his mouth. Someone shouted 'Who is that woman singing. Is she possessed?'

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
penguindf12 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 16:57

When I first started loving Dark Side, I invited my friend over to listen, and he only liked one song (Money, of course). The rest he automatically said he didn't like even though he only heard the first few notes. He gave it no space, and from then on was absolutely opposed to any prog I played (except "Lightbulb Sun" by Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater stuff).

My Dad, who indirectly introduced me to prog, probably regrets it. His musical tastes stop around Pink Floyd, Led Zepellin, and the occaisional Yes. But after that, he doesn't really like anything. He likes most of "Close to the Edge" and "Fragile," but "Relayer" doesn't get to him. Neither does any Genesis and especially Gentle Giant and Godspeed You Black Emperor are beyond his range of his tastes.

My brother is a metalhead, who takes in only the occaisional Dream Theater (he actually introduced me to them) and Porcupine Tree. He even dislikes most of the Floyd, with only "Wish You Were Here" being within his range of taste.

Some situations I've been in involve playing "music that meant something to you" in a Youth thing. We heard mostly Avril Lavigne and one Simon & Garfunkel song, and I was going to play "Supper's Ready" originally, but decided against in and used the first part of "Close to the Edge" instead. Boy, did I hear it. When the "aaaa"'s came in, one of my friends said "do you like this for the music or the lyrics?" sarcastically. I decided to stop it right before the lyrics came, red-faced and worried that they would be even less open to Anderson's semi-rapping about experiencing change. One of the guys there had actually read "Siddharta", of which the song is based, so there may be hope for them yet... (oh, I also played "Wish you were here" title song, and of course, they liked it okay)

The only person I know who listens to prog is this one girl. She listens to Yes and the Floyd and Jethro Tull, but beyond that, nothing but Incubus and alt rock. (ugh!).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 17:03

They all mock.Who cares?

What made you think that Close To The Edge would would go down well at pre-school Pingu?Wink

I get up...I get down

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 17:32

Most of my friends are gay men... lets just say I only have one who is actually interested in Prog... and thats probably cause he grew up in Spain and loves King Crimson.  He did go with me to see the 21st Century Schizoid Band.. and he had a great time... but I don't think we're convincing any of the others to listen...

But I do have a lot of new friends in the last few years I have met from the GregLake.com website that I see quite often... and its been really good for me to have people around who can be obsessed with me....  And some of them are just like family now.... right, Richard, Steven....

THIS IS ELP
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 17:44

Most of my friends are gay men... lets just say I only have one who is actually interested in Prog... and thats probably cause he grew up in Spain and loves King Crimson.  He did go with me to see the 21st Century Schizoid Band.. and he had a great time... but I don't think we're convincing any of the others to listen...Confused

What are you babbling about Old Girl?

Have you fallen out of your rocking chair?LOL

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 21:03
I've recently converted my friend D'Arcy (who actually posts here as Asuma) to the ways of prog.  A bunch of my friends like Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull, I've converted a couple to King Crimson and ELP, and a couple also like Frank Zappa.  I guess I'm just lucky...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 21:21
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

Most of my friends are gay men... lets just say I only have one who is actually interested in Prog... and thats probably cause he grew up in Spain and loves King Crimson.  He did go with me to see the 21st Century Schizoid Band.. and he had a great time... but I don't think we're convincing any of the others to listen...Confused

If you couldn't understand that, you must be the senile one... but then again you would have had to have had some sense in the beginning to lose it...

THIS IS ELP
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 21:53

They all mock.Who cares?

What made you think that Close To The Edge would would go down well at pre-school Pingu?Wink

I get up...I get down

I laughed so hard when I saw that pic I spit up my drink all over my lap

gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 22:04

Threefates is so old she farts dust

I love ya TF

Eddy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 22:12
damn all my friends hate the music i listen to. well not hate, but they think it sounds too "absurd" and "weird"  I try to make them listen to it so thast they get the music in there head, like you need to with prog more then other music, but they basically scream in distain and take out my yes cd and put in some death metel shishcabag stuff like superjoiunt ritual, which i dont mind either.. but stil;...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 22:13
Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

Threefates is so old she farts dust

I love ya TF

Atleast my butts not clogged....to bad you can't say the same....

THIS IS ELP
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 22:30
Nothing KY can't cure
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>