3 [6.25%]
37 [77.08%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trevor Rabin and Yes
    Posted: April 30 2006 at 23:01
I feel he destroyed them musiccally on all 4 LPs and Financially on Talk and Union.
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 23:42
Not sure about the financial part. Remember how big of a hit "Owner of a Lonely Heart" was? All I know is that I can't stand the Rabin era albums (though I still own them all.)
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
frippster View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 00:25
IMHO they should have stopped using the yes name during the rabin years. it was a great band, just not quite yes. well, I do hate most tracks on big generator. that kinda makes me vote for "none"
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 00:56
Trevor Rabin destroying Yes.....please......Ermm
Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 01:41
Disapprove
razifa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 02:51
Well IMO the poorest album was 90125, the only decent track was Changes and I don't mean it was something spectacular, just listenable. "Big Generator" was not a bad release, honestly I enjoy it, but still too commercial..
Union and Talk are very good both and I really think are worthwhile. So I think he did not destroy the band....but wasn't essential
**razifa**
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 03:11
He did not destroy the band because Yes are still alive and kicking (I saw them live in 2003 and they smoked!). Besides, I think we're already been there... He couldn't have destroyed the band single-handedly, as the other members agreed on their new, more commercial direction. Same thing applies to Phil Collins. I don't think either Collins or Rabin held the other members at gunpoint...Wink
eddietrooper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 04:07
Rabin didn't destroy anything. He helped to create an alternative Yes, and I think it was interesting to see what they can do in another style. After that they came back to the classic line-up, so Rabin didn't killed them, he only gave us a different episode in the band history. Like it or not, it was interesting. I prefer classic Yes, but I can't deny the quality of songs like Changes, Hearts, The Calling or Endless Dream.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 06:09
This is ludicrous. If anything, the 80's era of Yes introduced them to scores of new fans--myself included! 90125 was one of those crucial albums from my teenage years; but, it also was the springboard that led me to albums such as Fragile, Close To The Edge, and Relayer. If people feel that Rabin ruined the Yes name, then they're pointing the finger in the wrong direction. Ultimately, (I would think) the final decision to carry on as Yes would've been from the likes of Squire and Anderson.

E
heavyhery View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 06:32
love yes allways with and with out trevor
heavyhery
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 08:43
None.  He didn't destroy them, he just made terrible albums with them! Wink
Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 08:55
Aw, come on, blaming Rabin is sooooooooooo easy. Sure, those albums ARE crap, but the 80's in itself were commercial years. So, blame the f*cking 80s instead.
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 09:31
I don't think Yes were ever destroyed. Personally, I like their 80s albums like '90125' and 'Big Generator' a lot, plus they sold a bucketload. They kept enough of the Yes sound in there for me, plus some heavy metal touches that I think worked quite well. Wasn't so fussed on 'Talk' which sounded rather tired, imo, but the 80s albums are fine.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 09:36
Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

Aw, come on, blaming Rabin is sooooooooooo easy. Sure, those albums ARE crap, but the 80's in itself were commercial years. So, blame the f*cking 80s instead.
I don't think they are crap and I object to the use of that word. I like the "Rabin years".
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 09:56
I love 90125! It was the first Yes album I ever heard. I dont think Rabin destroyed Yes at all. He brought a new dimension to their music, that many of their older fans may have objected to, but he introdcued the band to a new audience. A HUGE new audience! 90125 was a huge selling album that Wakemen has since claimed he would've loved to have been part of.

I wasn't keen on Big Generator, but 'Talk' was a great album IMO. In any case, the classic Yes line up reformed after Rabin had gone. They may have split for good if they hadn't enjoyed the much elevated profile that they achieved in the Rabin years.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 10:04
<<I love 90125!   It was the first Yes album I ever heard. I dont think Rabin destroyed Yes at all. He brought a new dimension to their music, that many of their older fans may have objected to, but he introdcued the band to a new audience. A HUGE new audience! 90125 was a huge selling album that Wakemen has since claimed he would've loved to have been part of.

I wasn't keen on Big Generator, but 'Talk' was a great album IMO. In any case, the classic Yes line up reformed after Rabin had gone. They may have split for good if they hadn't enjoyed the much elevated profile that they achieved in the Rabin years.>>

Man, Amen to that! As a 17 year old kid, I recall being blown away by 90125. And I wasn't so much impressed by "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" as much as I was with "It Can Happen", "Changes", and "Hearts".

And far as Talk is concerned, I'm enjoying that disc the more I listen to it. I don't think it sounds tired at all. Personally, I'd love to see another Yes disc with Rabin.

E
A'swepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 10:32
I don't think TR destroyed Yes. Why not look at this era from the other direction: He helped Yes remain viable & in the spotlight (so to speak).
The only Yes album that I hate is Big Generator.
I quite like 90125, Talk, Union, in fact I like about 90% of their output, regardless of who the musicians were.
I will admit to a preference for Squire, Howe, Anderson, Bruford/White & Wakeman, but good music (read: music that I like) is good music.
You can blame Trevor for your dislike all day long, doesn't change my opinion. I like it.
David - Never doubt in the dark that which you believe to be true in the light.
http://www.myspace.com/aardvarktxusa - Instrumental rock
http://www.soundclick.com/aardvarktxusa
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 10:49
Trevor Rabin is a commercial money sucking sponge that used yes and yes fans to gain capitol and then dump on yes the worst album in the world called TALK because he knew they wanted him out.

Get Real People take of the blinders you horses
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 10:52
Originally posted by Xenoxen Xenoxen wrote:

Trevor Rabin is a commercial money sucking sponge that used yes and yes fans to gain capitol and then dump on yes the worst album in the world called TALK because he knew they wanted him out.

As I said....I like Yes with Rabin.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 11:46
Originally posted by Xenoxen Xenoxen wrote:

Thats just your opinion. You're entitled to it, of course, but I happen to think 'Talk' is better than Tormato!

I'm glad the classic line up got back together, as their output overall IS better than anything Rabin's Yes produced IMO. But, Yes could have been alot worse in the 80's, and like I said before we may have Rabin to thank for the fact that Yes are still going.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>