Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed'Refugee' remastered!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Refugee' remastered!
    Posted: May 27 2006 at 06:59
For those who don't know about this ,prior to joining Yes and recording 'Relayer',Patrick Moraz was in a short lived band called Refugee with 2 ex Nice members- drummer Brian Davison and vocalist/bassist Lee Jackson.For my money this is one of the best symphonic prog albums ever.Moraz displays all his legendary ability over 50 minutes of delicious keyboard driven prog ably backed by one of prog's finest rhythm sections.

The album consists of 5 tracks including Grand Canyon Suite (5 movements total 16 minutes) and Credo (8 movements total 18 minutes).It is utterly superb stuff.I can't praise it highly enough.Ok some people might complain at Jacksons raspy vocals here and there but mostly this is an instrumental work and the mighty Moraz carries it along in breathtaking fashion.

I got mine from CD services but the record label that has released it is called Voiceprint.You can e-mail them at [email protected] or visit their website at www.voiceprint.co.uk.

The quality of the remaster is superb.For fans of ELP,Yes etc this is a must.Trust me!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 11:18
Great album Richard, a re-issuing is certainly justified.
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 16:30
Thanks Richard, I knew of it but have never heard it, will be checking it out....
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 17:09
Thanks Richard.

Are Jackson Heights prog in any way?  Just curious, as I know that's also a band that Lee Jackson was involved with.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 17:54
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

Thanks Richard.

Are Jackson Heights prog in any way?  Just curious, as I know that's also a band that Lee Jackson was involved with.

I've never actually heard them although I know it was the band that Lee Jackson formed after leaving The Nice and he was keen to get away from the loud bombastic prog that Emerson was keen to do at the time,so from that I deduce not.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 15:55
I already have a CD of 'Refugee' on the 'Valhalla Records' label, though whether it's official or not is open to conjecture (sounds fine anyway). I agree though, a classic album- one of the all time great keyboard albums; for me this is better than any one album The Nice did. Pretty essential, imo.

As for Jackson Heights, I had one album of theirs (can't remember what it was called but it had a decent piano led prog track called 'To Catch A Thief') but for the main part, it was dull pub rock as I remember and did little to stimulate the listener. There was another Nice spin off on Charisma called 'Every Which Way' which featured Brian Davidson but I've not heard this.
 Post Reply Post Reply