Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM
    Posted: June 21 2006 at 06:30

I listen to the mp3 of this band in the archives. I think they are very good and innovative band with good music.

Whaty do you think about the album "To Natural Science"?
STATE OF MIND
http://www.stateofmind.it - Italian Prog Metal Band
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 06:33
You probably mean Of Natural History.
I personally like it a lot as I love this sort of music very much.
A more than enjoyable and rewarding listen for people into this sort of music.
nicoguitar View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 06:41
Thanks Avestin!
Sorry, I confused the title.... "Of natural history"
STATE OF MIND
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 06:49
Have you heard their first album Grand opening and closing (or whatever it's called)?
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 06:53
Great album by a great band. They could be a little testing for first time listener as their music can be quite over the top (something I love about them). For me personal I perfer, "Grand Opening and Closing" in comparision to "Of Natural History". But most people seem to think the other way round.

If you are looking for something different they are difinately something you should try out. I have heard they put on a fantastic live show. Might have to go over the states sometime to see them!
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 06:58
Also if you are interested they have a few more tracks you can download off their offical website:

www.sleepytimegorillamuseum.com/multimedia-audio.html
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 07:25
Originally posted by Black Velvet Black Velvet wrote:

Great album by a great band. They could be a little testing for first time listener as their music can be quite over the top (something I love about them). For me personal I perfer, "Grand Opening and Closing" in comparision to "Of Natural History". But most people seem to think the other way round.

If you are looking for something different they are difinately something you should try out. I have heard they put on a fantastic live show. Might have to go over the states sometime to see them!

I generally agree with above, and I also prefer "Grand Opening" over the "Natural History", but want to add that I find their music to be very uneven, I mean, I like some parts a lot ("wow, it's great"), while other parts sound very repelling to me ("oh no, I can't listen to this anymore") mainly due to male vocals arrangements (growling of a kind). This might be a perfunctory impression, as I have not listened to both albums long enough (only couple of times each), but still there is something which prevents me from enjoying their music to the full. In general - very interesting band and deserves lots of attention, but not to everyone likings (oh well, nothing is).
carefulwiththataxe
nicoguitar View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 07:32
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Have you heard their first album Grand opening and closing (or whatever it's called)?

NO, I've never heard their first album. But I think that now I'll serch to buy their album, I see that in their site the first CD costs only $5.
ThankS for the answer!!
STATE OF MIND
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 07:43

Originally posted by eugene eugene wrote:

Originally posted by Black Velvet Black Velvet wrote:

Great album by a great band. They could be a little testing for first time listener as their music can be quite over the top (something I love about them). For me personal I perfer, "Grand Opening and Closing" in comparision to "Of Natural History". But most people seem to think the other way round. If you are looking for something different they are difinately something you should try out. I have heard they put on a fantastic live show. Might have to go over the states sometime to see them!

I generally agree with above, and I also prefer "Grand Opening" over the "Natural History", but want to add that I find their music to be very uneven, I mean, I like some parts a lot ("wow, it's great"), while other parts sound very repelling to me ("oh no, I can't listen to this anymore") mainly due to male vocals arrangements (growling of a kind). This might be a perfunctory impression, as I have not listened to both albums long enough (only couple of times each), but still there is something which prevents me from enjoying their music to the full. In general - very interesting band and deserves lots of attention, but not to everyone likings (oh well, nothing is).

I would definately give both albums some more time to sink in, I found their second album took a little while to take my fancies. Funnily enough the males vocals are one of the high points for me. But I can definately understand how this would not be for everybody especially if you are repelled by growling vocals.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 07:47
I too love the vocals, but then again, I love growling vocals, so your impression fomr it Eugene is probably what other people should take into account before listening to it.
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 08:37
this band is way too over-the-top for me, they try to hard

Aaron
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 08:41
They don't try anything, it comes naturally...
Seriously thuogh, I don't think they sit around and think "hmm, let's try to be as outrageous and shocking as possible. Let's try to be over the top". I think this is the sort of music they like (and so do I), and there is nothing over the top for us about it. For me (and other friends of mine here) this sort of music is very regular and natural. We are used to it by now and these guys and girl are from the same camp, probably.

But no one should force himself onto something they don't like. There's plenty of choice.

Edited by avestin - June 21 2006 at 08:43
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 08:50
SGM is insane,and when I first came here I was turned on to Of Natural History and hated it.But after slowly listening to alot of avant prog I decided to give ONH another spin and it really grew on me.

If you like them I strongly urge you to try Trey Spruance's(Mr. Bungle)band Secret Chiefs 3.

Edited by TheProgtologist - June 21 2006 at 09:30

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 09:17
Oh, yeah, that's right, Jody. I was looking for a soundalike or something in the same vain to complare it to, and now that you've mentioned Secret Chiefs 3, I realize it was them I should have thought about.
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 09:51
I think they're absolutely phenomenal. They are _NOT_ to be missed live. One of the most mindbending shows I've seen, period (second only to Negativland and The Residents). If you are a fan of RIO or avant prog at all, you absolutely owe it to yourself to give them a solid 10 listens.

Is that enough gushing for you? Wink
Pure Brilliance:
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 09:55
Originally posted by Empathy Empathy wrote:

I think they're absolutely phenomenal. They are _NOT_ to be missed live. One of the most mindbending shows I've seen, period (second only to Negativland and The Residents). If you are a fan of RIO or avant prog at all, you absolutely owe it to yourself to give them a solid 10 listens.

Hmmm.... Ermm

Yes Big smile

Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 10:04
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Originally posted by Empathy Empathy wrote:

Hmmm.... Ermm

Yes Big smile

LOL

Are you sure? Cause I've got more queued up...
Pure Brilliance:
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 13:53
What I have heard from them is excellent! But Im sure it can give me a headache in a bad day very easily ejejjee
If their album is 5$...I will seriously think about ordering it...if its possible to mail it to the other side of the world of courseConfusedLOLLOLLOL
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 15:33
it's bands like these that make me wonder their worth will be 20 years from now

maybe i'm wrong, but i can't help but feel gay (and by gay i mean lame, not happy or homosexual)  when i hear this music

them fightin' words

Aaron
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 16:05
Originally posted by Aaron Aaron wrote:

it's bands like these that make me wonder their worth will be 20 years from now

maybe i'm wrong, but i can't help but feel gay (and by gay i mean lame, not happy or homosexual)  when i hear this music

them fightin' words

Aaron

I'm sure people have said similar things in regards to many prog artists over the years.

Yep, you're wrong! LOL
Pure Brilliance:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>