12 [52.17%]
2 [8.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Freakin’ Hawkwind Album
    Posted: March 02 2004 at 14:21
My previous polls on Guru Guru and freakout bands obviously didn't elicit much interest. Well, how about Hawkwind! There's got to be some of you out there who listen to Hawkwind! Maybe not a "prog" band in the truest sense but they did put out some good stuff which could be considered "prog" in one form or another during their long infamous career (even though they went through about 1,000,000 personelchanges!) You will notice that I veered away from their numerous compilations and live recordings some of which are even worse than Earthbound in terms of recording quality.

Edited by Vibrationbaby
The Owl View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2004 at 18:34
I also love "Hall Of The Mountain Grill" where the symphonic factor first kicked in (Kudos to SImon House).
People are puzzled why I don't dig the Stones, well, I listened to the Stones, I tried, and I tried, and I tried, and--I Can't Get No Satisfaction!

www.myspace.com/theowlsmusic
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2004 at 18:44
ACTUALLY i think Hawkwind Fits right under the prog "Umbrella"!!! I cant name a specific album because so much good music came from all over the place!! but the very first album had "Be Yourself"(oh and the very different Hurry On Sundown!!!....geee if that was the only track you ever heard from Hawkwind you would REALLY get the wrong idea!!!) "You Shouldn,t Do That" springs to mind to but i cant remember which album its on!!!(little help please.)
The Owl View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2004 at 18:53

Originally posted by dude dude wrote:

ACTUALLY i think Hawkwind Fits right under the prog "Umbrella"!!! I cant name a specific album because so much good music came from all over the place!! but the very first album had "Be Yourself"(oh and the very different Hurry On Sundown!!!....geee if that was the only track you ever heard from Hawkwind you would REALLY get the wrong idea!!!) "You Shouldn,t Do That" springs to mind to but i cant remember which album its on!!!(little help please.)

"You Shouldn't Do That" originally appeared on In Search of Space (pre-Lemmy).

People are puzzled why I don't dig the Stones, well, I listened to the Stones, I tried, and I tried, and I tried, and--I Can't Get No Satisfaction!

www.myspace.com/theowlsmusic
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2004 at 18:55
I can't vote because, although I've heard SOME Hawkwind, i don't know enough to give anything fair credit. Tell me, which disc is the single best Hawkwind recording?

Edited by danbo
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 03:17
VB - Nice idea for a poll, but how to choose what albums to list, let alone vote for one

Of those listed, it has to be 'Warrior On The Edge' - I've seen Hawkwind many times over the years since the late '70s from huge festivals to small clubs & 'The Golden Void' does it to me every time.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 07:40

I've got 3 Hawkwind albums: Hawkwind, Doremi Fasol Latido, Spave Ritual.

I think Doremi Fasol Latido is the best. Why can't I pick that one?

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 10:27

Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

I can't vote because, although I've heard SOME Hawkwind, i don't know enough to give anything fair credit. Tell me, which disc is the penultimate Hawkwind recording?

Warrior On the Edge Of Time or Space Ritual

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 12:38

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

VB - Nice idea for a poll, but how to choose what albums to list, let alone vote for one

Of those listed, it has to be 'Warrior On The Edge' - I've seen Hawkwind many times over the years since the late '70s from huge festivals to small clubs & 'The Golden Void' does it to me every time.

You are a very lucky man! I think Hawkwind is barred from Canada for life along with some other bands. This country is pretty screwed up and getting worse. Wish my parents could have stayed back in the UK.

sonic_assassin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2004 at 11:06

A HW vote, what a good idea!

When I listen to HW these days, it tends to be obscure stuff from WinMX. I haven't listened to the mainstream albums (which I bought from legit sources btw) for many months!  So I guess I'll re-listen to the voting candidates first...

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 05:22
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

VB - Nice idea for a poll, but how to choose what albums to list, let alone vote for one Of those listed, it has to be 'Warrior On The Edge' - I've seen Hawkwind many times over the years since the late '70s from huge festivals to small clubs & 'The Golden Void' does it to me every time.

You are a very lucky man! I think Hawkwind is barred from Canada for life along with some other bands. This country is pretty screwed up and getting worse. Wish my parents could have stayed back in the UK.

It was crossing the border between the States & Canada in 1975(?), when Lemmy was arrested for possession of speed - Robert Calvert & Dave Brock used this as an excuse to kick Lemmy out of the band - just a little bit of trivia for you.

Didn't know they were banned from Canada, though - I've always seen Canada as a beautiful place, always wanted to visit..... but you say it's getting screwed up - trust me, if you want screwed up, you should come back to the UK for a week - you're better off where you are, believe me.

Edited by Jim Garten

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 06:23

For me, hawkwind is certainly one of the best english (speaking) prog band with VDGG...I really like the way they compose freak'n roll music...I don't know all the stuffs you put in your list...but I think that I'm going to vote for 'space ritual'

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 10:35

VB - Nice idea for a poll, but how to choose what albums to list, let alone vote for one Of those listed, it has to be 'Warrior On The Edge' - I've seen Hawkwind many times over the years since the late '70s from huge festivals to small clubs & 'The Golden Void' does it to me every time.

It was crossing the border between the States & Canada in 1975(?), when Lemmy was arrested for possession of speed - Robert Calvert & Dave Brock used this as an excuse to kick Lemmy out of the band - just a little bit of trivia for you.

Didn't know they were banned from Canada, though - I've always seen Canada as a beautiful place, always wanted to visit..... but you say it's getting screwed up - trust me, if you want screwed up, you should come back to the UK for a week - you're better off where you are, believe me.
Believe me you wouldn`t want to visit this dump!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2004 at 17:09
Try "Palace Springs" for one of the most under rated of the Hawkwind albums. Two tracks in particular "Void of Golden Light" and "Lives of Great men", which link together to form one track, are superb. As an aside, the CD I have seems to list these two tracks in the wrong order, or was it a deliberate ploy by the band to name the tracks the wrong way round!?
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2004 at 21:26
EASY LIVIN:(this is a thing iv'e never known before!! great song!! love that "GROWLY" keyboard sound) "LIVES OF GREAT MEN" is an excellent track and one of Hawkwinds most melodic in my opinion VIBRATIONBABY:there seems to be a general decline in moral and social cohesion in western society which to me is becoming increasingly more disturbing.Even here in Australia, generally a peaceful country and acountry i dearly love you will see such things as,rising youth and gang violence rising divorce rates and a general "coarsening" of behavior why this is i am not sure but i beleive that one of the flaws in the democratic system(still the best system though!) is that when you try to be "all things to all men" everyone starts to call for thier worldview to take precidence(i am right so do things my way!)(i also am concerned at our increasingly bizarre education system and the philosophies being foisted on our young people by for want of a better term "marxist Academics") if you also dismantle the concept of absolute moral authority(characterized in the west by the judeo-christian concept of moral responsibility to YAHWEH(I AM) and therefore also to man as embodied in the ten commandments etc..Now you may not beleive in god but the CONCEPT of a higher moral power has provided the basis for the constitutions of most of the worlds politically and socially stable(reletively) nations such as the U.S.A Britain Australia New Zealand and others) and replace it with the concept of moral reletavism(do what is right in your own eyes as long as you dont hurt anyone..it deosnt work..whats next Men marrying animals...and DONT tell me that people like that dont exist, if you take away moral absolutes then ANY PERVERSION BECOMES JUSTIFIABLE after all its "Human Rights" isnt it?))then you get the moral and social confusion that is causing much of the concern today....anyway...whatever the reason i do beleive there IS much to be concerened about...and at the risk of inviting scorn and laughter..i remember the words of LUKE 17:26-30 "As in the days of Noah and Lot so shall it be at the coming of the son of man(christs second coming) ......i await your mocking  by the way VIBRATIONBABY you can always come to AUSTRALIA it really is a nice place....just watch out for all the crocs though!!

Edited by dude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2004 at 16:18
I almost joined th Royal Australian Air Force back when I was young and idealogical but ended up in the Canadian Air Force instead. I don`t know how he is recieved in his home country but I get a kick out of Steve Irwin. There`s also a couple of Aussie comedians who are pretty harsh who I laugh my guts out over.  Don`t get me wrong, despite the deterioration of the ways of the world we still live in perhaps the safest and sanest countries in the world but....... sometimes I say to my wife after having read the paper and watched a bit of news on the TV in the morning : "We might as well have the Klu Klux Klan running this country" with all the corruption within the Canadian Government we,ve had lately. Anyway back to Hawkwind. Easy Livin is right on the money about Palace Springs. Electric TeePee is also another one. A sonic masterpiece from the 1990`s with Hawkwind as a trio.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2004 at 17:58

My previous polls on Guru Guru and freakout bands obviously didn't elicit much interest. Well, how about Hawkwind! There's got to be some of you out there who listen to Hawkwind! Maybe not a "prog" band in the truest sense but they did put out some good stuff which could be considered "prog" in one form or another during their long infamous career (even though they went through about 1,000,000 personelchanges!) You will notice that I veered away from their numerous compilations and live recordings some of which are even worse than Earthbound in terms of recording quality.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2004 at 18:01

Anyway, in my opinion the best is "In search of Space"...

Beware entropy law...AAAAARRGGGHHHHHHH!!!

sonic_assassin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2004 at 04:34

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

...the CD I have seems to list these two tracks in the wrong order, or was it a deliberate ploy by the band to name the tracks the wrong way round!?

I wonder. I don't understand why Hawkwind muck around with track titles, eg Lives of Great Men = Assault & Battery and Void of Golden Light = The Golden Void

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2004 at 04:50

There are a LOT of great Hawkwind albums missing!!! How about "Doremi..", "Masters of the Universe", "Sonic Attack", "Live '79" (That version of Lighthouse is sublime, even if the version of "Washing Machine" sucks).

I voted for "Levitation", because it's the only one I don't have to be stoned to fully appreciate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>