Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe development of prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 08:20

sometimes when i read this forum i wonder : OH my GOD was there any other group that didn't prog through 70s and 80's ?

Come to think about it... I don't know who invented those genres but don't you think they are too much? Folk prog , Symphonic Prog , Rock prog , Metal prog, Pomp prog, Space prog and the list goes on ? My question is that : Which group (of the known) didn't prog? Were all those group that we mention indeed progged or we just say it just to show how important and talented artists does prog has?

Sometimes i have the feeling that Progressive is a subgenre of Rock music that has a lot of subgenres, Rock included!!! if you know what i mean..

Any help ?

That which doesn't kill you, postpones the inevitable
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 10:58
I think aerandir  has a valid point. Jazz and classical music have their offshoots as well. Why can`t we  just stick to terms like jazz-rock for say,The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Classical Rock for bands like Focus or as I suggested on an earlier thread Experimental Rock. This would eliminate a lot of confusion and we could categorize everyone from Dream Theatre to Bill Bruford`s Earthworks under the same roof 

Edited by Vibrationbaby
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 14:42

Hey! Focus is not just 'Classical Rock'

Focus made some of the best progrock there is!!!

Aerandir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 15:19

For me there are 4 big categories

1. Progressive Metal : Distinctive from it's heavier music and often from it's year of foundation as we come closer to "now" bands tend to adapt a heavier style. examples : Dream Theater , Psychotic Waltz, Fates Warning , Pain of Salvation , Evergrey etc..

2. Progressive Rock : Close to Prog Metal but with more "gentle" music. examples : Pink Floyd, Rush, Van der Graaf generator etc

3. Classical/Symphonic Rock : Distinctive from the regylar use of classic instruments such as flutes, violins and its tone of music which tends to be softer than progressive rock. examples : Jethro Tull , Genesis , The Moody Blues, Focus

4. Jazz/Rock groups : Close to Progressive Rock but with serious Jazz Influence. Usually they don't have a lot of lyrics. Example : Mahavishnu Orchestra

To me it seems like a good dinstiction. I'm aware that Rush and Floyd are not the same but so are The Dark Side of the Moon and Wall. Even 2 albums from the same band can have differences (and it's welcomed).

That which doesn't kill you, postpones the inevitable
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2004 at 17:37
Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

Hey! Focus is not just 'Classical Rock'

Focus made some of the best progrock there is!!!

Believe it or not I read an interview with Jan Akkerman in some guitar magazine back in the 70`s where he claims that Focus invented heavy metal!
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 03:56

Well, of course Led Zep/Deep Purple and The Sabs did that, but I think Focus had a lot of influence with Hocus Pocus!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 10:40
I`ve read a lot of interviews with Akkerman over the years and he is not the easiest guy to interview according to those who have interviewed him and he has the tendancy to say a lot of of the wall things. Nevertheless he is one of my favourite guitar players of all time. You should check out some of his pre-Focus work if you can find it.
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 10:47

Was he in Brainbox before or after Focus?

maybe I'd better ask first: Do you know Brainbox? I mean, they're pretty well-known in Holland, but I must not forget, they're a Dutch band!

Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 11:18
I found it! Before Focus, Jan Akkerman was in The Hunters (I don't know them) and BRAINBOX. The latter had some GREAT songs. Try to download: "Dark Rose", "Doomsday Train" and "Down Man". It's great classic hardrock with flute!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 12:56
I've got two Brainbox albums but Akkerman is only on one of them. I also have the CD release of the Akkerman Brainbox album which has bonus tracks. I only have one recording of him with The Hunters which is on a compilation album from the Early 80's called the Essental Jan Akkerman and the track is a killer "The Russian Spy And I". He also played in a band called Johnny and the Cellar Rockers but I've never come across any of these. This was pre-Hunters. Glad to see someone out there who is interested in this frequently overlooked guitar god. There is a lot more to Akkerman than "Hocus Pocus"!
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 13:20

Well, to be honest, I don't know much about guitars, and I just liked the great songs Brainbox recorded...

When I look at all the CD's you just summed up, you seem to be a bit of a... freak?  Well, don't mind, I've been a very enthousiastic collector of heavy metal for years, in my ...er... let's call it childhood

How many records do you have? And weren't you the one on the forum who almost only listened to LP's? Very understandably, if you have such a great collection of vinyl and then some asshole comes up with the idea of a CD!

Edited by Joren
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 14:22
Yeah that's me. I have over 2,000 albums I accumulated mostly during th 1970's and 1980's. Not only prog albums but a lot of jazz as well. I never bought an album because it was a "collectors" item It was always for the music, although I do have a few which are worth something. The thing that really bothers me about these guys who collect records just for the sake of it is that they drive up the prices of records that people like myself want just for the music.
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 15:01

Well, I wasn't THAT fanatic. I just thought it was nice to have some weird records.

I think I have about 400 CD's (and 30 LP's or so, just for collecting, almost all of them are albums I also have on CD, I hardly ever play them). And I think half of it is downloaded . I don't have all the money in the world, you know. But now, my goal is to buy all real great CD's (including Frank Zappa), and not download them.

But your collection is awesome. 2000 jazz and prog records!

You know the book 1000 Record Covers? It's from a man who also had thousands of records, and he made a selection of the greatest covers. I love that book! What was his name again... Schultz? It was a book from 'Taschen'.

Edited by Joren
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 16:43

2,000? Good Gracious Man, when do you get laid?

I've got about 500-700 and my old lady thinks I'm obsessed.

I got about 33 or so Allan Holdsworth related discs, all the Rush, Floyd, Beatles, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

2,000? Holy Sheep, Batman.

So, Vibration you must own this stuff:

Greetings!My name is Dale Hauskins.I was the Los Angeles Californian Guitarist of the Swiss(Luzern/Weggis)progressive rock band FLAME DREAM(6 albums on Phonogram's Vertigo label produced by John Acock(Steve Hackett/Nick Magnus/Genesis/Steel Eye Span/ELO/Deep Pulple/etc!))Mostly recorded at Patrick Moraz's studio in Geneve,Switzerland 1979-1986      http://www.rire-sous-cape.ch/counting-out-time/flame-dream/f lame-dream-index.htm                     http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/flamedream/                                 Currently available for Recording(Tracking)Tours & Gigs...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Dale Hauskins:Cel.#(714)444-6951 Email:
[email protected] [email protected]
Reggae Jazz/Rock Hip-Hop Guitarist.CD/Tour credits:Bamiki Bandula(Massive McGregor);Pato Banton(Tour 2001);Bargain Music("The Magic is Over"CD BEATVILLE 2003);Big Cat("California"CD 2004);Einstein Brown(Sapadilla/Pannist;CD/Tours);Dean Butterworth;Phil Chen;Calypso Rose;Martin Campbell(CD/Tour 2001-2002);Santa Davis;Rock Deadrick;Dominators;Mikey Dread;Majek Fashek("Little Patience"CD 2004/Tour 2000-2003);Anna Fisher("Ying Yang"CD 2004);Flame Dream(Swiss progressive rock group,6 CDs Phonogram(Vertigo)Produced by John Acock(Steve Hackett));Fully Fullwood("For All Time"CD 2004/Tours);Russ Henry;Drew Hester;Joe Higgs;Jah Soldiers Band(Tour 2001-2002);Jawge Hughes("Come on Back"CD 2002/Tour 2001);Jesus Wore Dickies("Friends of Jesus"CD SKUNK 2003);Humble Soul("Jah Love" CD/2001); Peter Hunnigale;Winston Hussey;Mike Hyde;KONTIKI("Stand Tall"CD 2003);Kyng Arthur("Mister Master" CD-2000,"Prisoner of The Flesh" CD 2002);Scientist(Hopeton Brown);Tippa Irie(Tours 1999- 2003);Remi Kabaka;Nick Magnus(Steve Hackett/Enid);Carl McGregor(Bamiki Bandula)Musical Sniper(aka Rappa Robert Tour 2001);Johnny Osbourne(Tour 2001-2002);Steve Reid;The Specs;Upstream;Dave Wakeling;April Weller;John Wolf-Brennan;Cece Worell; etc.
http://www.gigmasters.com/artists/DaleHauskins
http://profiles.yahoo.com/dalehauskins
http://www.capesounds.com/BandDetail.asp?BandID=266
http://counting-out-time.virtua.ch/flame-dream/flame-dream-i ndex.htm
http://www.dubmusic.com/html/members.html
http://www.ocweekly.com/ink/03/14/feedback-seigal.php

Edited by dalehauskins on 11 March 2004 at 15:55

Edited by danbo
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 16:51

What's going on? That asshole is posting that throughout the entire forum!! Can't anybody do something about that?! I already sent him a private message, but he didn't answer!

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 17:01
Sorry Joren, I posted this one as a joke. I hope he gets the message.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 18:09
Yeah I was a little out of control for a while, but a lot of my collection I bought second hand. Especially in the early eighties tons of this prog rock was showing up in second hand music stores and it was dirt cheap! I checked out Flame Dream on the archives just to see if they really existed. I`ve never heard of anything this guy`s refering to. The only Swiss band I`ve ever heard of besides Brainticket was that cheesee heavy metal band Krokus who did bad cover versions of songs like American Woman back in the early eighties.

Edited by Vibrationbaby
semismart View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 18:37

Originally posted by semismart semismart wrote:

Hey, I didn't see Argent, Uriah Heep, Blood sweat and Tears, Iron Butterfly, Rare Earth, Cream, or The Chambers Brothers mentioned.

I'm trying to talk only about PURE prog rock. Iron Butterfly had their great song, but they're not considered real prog, as far as I know... And have you seen my list? I've got enough to do!

Hey no problem. You asked, I answered. You did look a little light in 60s though!

<i>Sports cars</i>, helping ugly men get sex since 1954.
Andyliftuk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 20:43
You forgot to mention 'It Bites'!!!....they were defintely an insperation to a lot of prog bands that formed torwards the late eighties/ early nineties.......including Dream Theater. (Jon Petrucci once said that Frank Dunnerey was a very underated guitarist and 'It Bites!' were certainly an underated great Prog band of the eighties).....'It Bites!' most certainly influenced one of my old bands 'Summer Indoors'!!
If it aint broke, dont fix it
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 06:16

Hey, I didn't see Argent, Uriah Heep, Blood sweat and Tears, Iron Butterfly, Rare Earth, Cream, or The Chambers Brothers mentioned.

I'm trying to talk only about PURE prog rock. Iron Butterfly had their great song, but they're not considered real prog, as far as I know... And have you seen my list? I've got enough to do!

Hey no problem. You asked, I answered. You did look a little light in 60s though!

I think you're right by mentioning those bands (I love Iron Butterfly and Uriah Heep), but I can't put all of that in my paper (I could fill 20 pages with Yes, Genesis, ELP, VdGG and Gentle Giant only ). Thanks for your help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>