Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 282>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 05:31
^ Yes, very much so. I like the little that I've heard and look forward to checking out more of this "new" group's output. Smile 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 05:19
This review for how bad can it be, has raised some interest about your works, at least for me, I honestly like the few I have listened to and I haven't heard a so big connection with Pink Floyd.

I'm not an admin and I can't decide about the reviews. I just want to say that it has given you a sort of non-voluntary marketing advertisement. 

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 05:17
Send lawyers, guns, and money. Clown
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Wintertree View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wintertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 05:02
Today is the release of the new Nad Sylvan album "Spiritus Mundi" in which I co wrote with Nad and performed on throughout. I suspect I will be much less obscure on the prog scene soon.
I don't mind one thinking my albums aren't very good and that I'm not a good songwriter, but the word "plagiarizing" needs to go.
Thanks!
Andrew Laitres
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 03:58
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

^ Well, it is clearly a matter of emphasis, and we shall agree to disagree. My own feeling is that there is quite a difference between an unsolved murder and a mistake in English affecting a band who, with the greatest possible respect, hardly anyone has heard of, although if it can be edited to state “influenced by”, then fine.

The reviewer (and it is his birthday today, not mine, but thanks for the very kind words) hasn’t been about for a while, but he was very highly respected. I am, of course, extremely curious to listen to this lot now, and will do so after the weekly shop this afternoon (yep, we know how to live!).

I was aware it was the reviewer’s birthday, not yours. But I am happy to wish you a very happy Un-birthday! 🎉 

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 03:49
^ Well, it is clearly a matter of emphasis, and we shall agree to disagree. My own feeling is that there is quite a difference between an unsolved murder and a mistake in English affecting a band who, with the greatest possible respect, hardly anyone has heard of, although if it can be edited to state “influenced by”, then fine.

The reviewer (and it is his birthday today, not mine, but thanks for the very kind words) hasn’t been about for a while, but he was very highly respected. I am, of course, extremely curious to listen to this lot now, and will do so after the weekly shop this afternoon (yep, we know how to live!).
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 03:39
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Hiram Hiram wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he's talking about this review: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1034695

If that's the review in question, English isn't the reviewer's native tongue so it might be just a bad choice of words. 

Even if it is only a bad choice of words, the review needs to be either edited or removed. It really should not stay on the site as it is.

It was written in 2013. The good ship Earth has been spinning around the big red ball in the sky completely unaffected by that review ever since. Most people on said planet have never heard of them. I certainly hadn’t, and I somehow doubt that Messrs Waters and Co. will be reaching for the services of Messrs Sue, Grabbit, and Runne if they were ever made aware of the alleged plagiarism.

It is a very poor choice of words, granted, but I think removal would be a shocking overreaction.

I too think it would be a shocking overreaction, but I am unaware of how easy it is to edit someone else’s post, if this member is not around to do it themselves. Editing the review is definitely preferable, but if it is unable to be edited, then (shocking overreaction or not), I think removal does make sense.

I’m not sure why you even suggest Waters and Co. might sue, because that is hardly an issue at all - particularly when it seems potentially likely that the author never alleged plagiarism at all, but merely used the wrong word in translation.

But the amount of time that has passed is somewhat irrelevant. If something is wrong, and something can be done about it, then it should be done. As a particularly extreme example, if a murder occurred in 2013, but was found out only in 2021, you would expect repercussions.

This review has been brought up, rightly so, by the musician who is being accused of plagiarism. Does it matter that they have only discovered this review long after the fact? No? Are they being accused of something they haven’t done? Well I haven’t listened to the album, but I suspect at most I might hear inspiration and derivation, but no plagiarism. Having been the victim of being accused of something I’ve not done, I completely empathise. It is not nice to have such accusations thrown at oneself. I too, would be calling for this review to be edited or removed, if it were my music that were being maligned in this fashion.

Oh and happy birthday. I look forward to the fun you have. Always enjoyable to read.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 02:52
As a matter of the greatest coincidence, it is Apps birthday today. 

I might have some fun later Clown
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 02:49
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he's talking about this review: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1034695

If that's the review in question, English isn't the reviewer's native tongue so it might be just a bad choice of words. 

Even if it is only a bad choice of words, the review needs to be either edited or removed. It really should not stay on the site as it is.

It was written in 2013. The good ship Earth has been spinning around the big red ball in the sky completely unaffected by that review ever since. Most people on said planet have never heard of them. I certainly hadn’t, and I somehow doubt that Messrs Waters and Co. will be reaching for the services of Messrs Sue, Grabbit, and Runne if they were ever made aware of the alleged plagiarism.

It is a very poor choice of words, granted, but I think removal would be a shocking overreaction.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 02:27

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 01:02
I've given a quick listen to the samples on the Winter Tree website. If I should look for similarities what I have tried is closer to Marillion than to Pink Floyd. I have to say that I like what I have listened to, and there are bands like Eloy and Starcastle that are much more derivative respect to their influencers. Even Birth of Liquid Plejades from TD's ZEIT sounds like an alternative version of Saucerful of Secrets
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 00:50

"RICK WRIGHT's vibe" sounds like a good reason for listening to the album. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 00:48
^That sounds like a reasonable take imho.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 00:41

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 23:44
I suppose that the review is already gone, but it has made me curious about your music. As a PF addict, whatever sounds similar to my favorite band is welcome. I will surely give an ear to it.

Of course I agree with you: plagiarizing is a very bad wording which implies also the possibility of a lawsuit.

Wintertree View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wintertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 21:17
I don't mind people not liking my music,but accusing me of plagiarizing Pink Floyd isn't OK. That review needs to be taken down. Does the author of the review even know what plagiarizing means? This is a very serious accusation.

Andrew Laitres
The Winter Tree

Edited by Wintertree - April 08 2021 at 21:18
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 14:08
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

^I remember this person's review of the Minotaurus album and, although I didn't agree with it qualitatively, it did make some points that I couldn't really argue with.  I suppose what's shocking in this Jed review is that the group/album had only just been added to PA.  Was the reviewer waiting around for the album to get added so they could slam it?  Or did they decide to make an example of it after one listen.  Probably the part that I object to the most is the reviewer saying it isn't prog.   There is a line between commenting on the low prog quotient of an album as part of a constructive review and implying they shouldn't even be on the site and this reviewer has crossed it IMO

I generally agree with you, except we had a SC here for quite sometime that made refuting the progressive nature of albums a regular feature in his reviews, going so far as to insert his dissenting opinion right into the title of one review. If we are going to make that a firm line in the sand, we have quite a back log of reviews that should be removed/edited.

understood.  I do think that the review guidelines do state that one should not make these comments.  But I don't doubt that there are many reviews that violate this and we are not going to change them.  I personally have a lot of problem with those types of complaints because I, like many here, spend countless hours listening to music being suggested for the site and, with my team, make our best effort to determine if the artist belongs, and it sometimes feels like the reviewer takes a second to disrespect that effort
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 09:06
^Yeah, that seems unnecessary. 

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

That's a good point. This isn't a place for rants. I'm sorry. I will delete my negative reviews.

These two albums are still POS imho! xD

That is certainly your right to opine in that regard. Just be more descriptive in your summation. Give examples from the album that paint a picture of how you reached your conclusions. 

1-star reviews are the hardest to write as it requires one to revisit the thing that seems to torture them. 

Edited by Tapfret - April 05 2021 at 09:07
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 09:02
I removed those rants and changed my ratings to 5's. It should be fine now. 💖
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 09:00
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

^I remember this person's review of the Minotaurus album and, although I didn't agree with it qualitatively, it did make some points that I couldn't really argue with.  I suppose what's shocking in this Jed review is that the group/album had only just been added to PA.  Was the reviewer waiting around for the album to get added so they could slam it?  Or did they decide to make an example of it after one listen.  Probably the part that I object to the most is the reviewer saying it isn't prog.   There is a line between commenting on the low prog quotient of an album as part of a constructive review and implying they shouldn't even be on the site and this reviewer has crossed it IMO

I generally agree with you, except we had a SC here for quite sometime that made refuting the progressive nature of albums a regular feature in his reviews, going so far as to insert his dissenting opinion right into the title of one review. If we are going to make that a firm line in the sand, we have quite a back log of reviews that should be removed/edited.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 282>