Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 255256257258259 282>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 00:29
^ Deleted the latter one (#2529209). Thanks for your report. Thumbs Up
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 04:55
^ Mmmm, at first I thought they were duplicates, but ...

So the second review was different by ONE word:

Truly essential. This live album (along with the first volume) includes some of Cardiacs' first works as a band, some of them made back in 1983, some in 1976! Crazy.
Featuring their trademark avant-garde sound and their crazy time signatures. Multiple times you will get to hear the sounds of Frank Zappa and Gentle Giant all around the album. Truly recommended for any Avant-Garde fan and definitely essential to any Cardiacs fan. This could be quite inaccesible if you are not used to Cardiacs sound, especially since it is very raw, but you should still give it a try.

Five Stars! Truly Essential!

What should we do?

Edited by projeKct - March 29 2021 at 04:56
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 07:21
If both volumes are up seperately then both reviews should be allowed, one for each album, I actually view they as one double album and always play it that way.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 08:49
^ I think so too, but what to do now that one review has been deleted?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2021 at 14:52
At this moment on the home page there are three reviews written in Spanish by a Peruvian newbie.
Please wait a bit before deleting them. I've PM'd him and explained that only English is allowed so I'd like to give him enough time to translate them, even with google.
I hope he can understand my poor Spanish. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2021 at 15:20
^ Now there are 5 of them...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2021 at 17:06
Someone just posted a review of Jethro Tull's "minstrel in the gallery" in spanish. 
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 00:38
^Here to report some Jethro Tull reviews in Spanish (posted by a user by the name of Tomasito). Numbers are #2530855, #2530856, #2530859, #2530860.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 03:02
^ All deleted. Thanks for your report.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 03:52
I'll PM the author again to inform him about the deletion.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 04:04
Thanks Luca. Big smile
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2021 at 12:42
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=71477

There's an awful lot of reviews and ratings for this album that comes out in 2 weeks. I heard the album leaked, so that might be worth looking into, but yeah the rating distribution is a bit fishy.

One of the reviewers, Issac Peretz, dude is one of those "5 Stars or 1 Star" reviewers. The number of pretty objectively great records he just slaps one or two stars on is very sad. And he always rates an album and reviews it at a later date so i'll just see scores randomly tank and that's typically the culprit. Smh, sucks watching the whole Opeth discography sink in rating at the cost of the most vanilla, plain and pedestrian prog band of all time: Karfagen get yet another unworthy boost. This is the end of my rant about this guy, nothing rule breaking, his reviews just really bother me LOL 
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 06:38
Do rants qualify as reviews? The latest for Merlin's Song by Jed doesn't do anything about bitch about how user hates it. Are these types of reviews allowed? Review says absolutely nothing about the album itself. User has a history of writing such reviews.

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=49529

Edited by siLLy puPPy - April 04 2021 at 06:39

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 08:30
^

"It really sounds like a bunch of demos recorded and written in one sitting. Atrocious and lazy melodies, uninspired vocals and badly written forgettable passages that just drag on and on and on. The arrangements have "boring" written all over them. It's just simple amateurish campfire acoustic strumming that goes on and on without any tension built"

As bad as the review is, I think it describes enough about the nature of the album for PA's fairly low bar. The term "uninspired" I always find to be a sort of fundamental attribution error. Who are we to decide what inspires somebody else? 

Anyway, other than those couple lines, it is as you say, a rant. Let me give it some thought. 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 08:38
^I remember this person's review of the Minotaurus album and, although I didn't agree with it qualitatively, it did make some points that I couldn't really argue with.  I suppose what's shocking in this Jed review is that the group/album had only just been added to PA.  Was the reviewer waiting around for the album to get added so they could slam it?  Or did they decide to make an example of it after one listen.  Probably the part that I object to the most is the reviewer saying it isn't prog.   There is a line between commenting on the low prog quotient of an album as part of a constructive review and implying they shouldn't even be on the site and this reviewer has crossed it IMO
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 08:44
That's a good point. This isn't a place for rants. I'm sorry. I will delete my negative reviews.

These two albums are still POS imho! xD

Edited by Hrychu - April 05 2021 at 08:45
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 09:00
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

^I remember this person's review of the Minotaurus album and, although I didn't agree with it qualitatively, it did make some points that I couldn't really argue with.  I suppose what's shocking in this Jed review is that the group/album had only just been added to PA.  Was the reviewer waiting around for the album to get added so they could slam it?  Or did they decide to make an example of it after one listen.  Probably the part that I object to the most is the reviewer saying it isn't prog.   There is a line between commenting on the low prog quotient of an album as part of a constructive review and implying they shouldn't even be on the site and this reviewer has crossed it IMO

I generally agree with you, except we had a SC here for quite sometime that made refuting the progressive nature of albums a regular feature in his reviews, going so far as to insert his dissenting opinion right into the title of one review. If we are going to make that a firm line in the sand, we have quite a back log of reviews that should be removed/edited.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 09:02
I removed those rants and changed my ratings to 5's. It should be fine now. 💖
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 09:06
^Yeah, that seems unnecessary. 

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

That's a good point. This isn't a place for rants. I'm sorry. I will delete my negative reviews.

These two albums are still POS imho! xD

That is certainly your right to opine in that regard. Just be more descriptive in your summation. Give examples from the album that paint a picture of how you reached your conclusions. 

1-star reviews are the hardest to write as it requires one to revisit the thing that seems to torture them. 

Edited by Tapfret - April 05 2021 at 09:07
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 14:08
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I generally agree with you, except we had a SC here for quite sometime that made refuting the progressive nature of albums a regular feature in his reviews, going so far as to insert his dissenting opinion right into the title of one review. If we are going to make that a firm line in the sand, we have quite a back log of reviews that should be removed/edited.

understood.  I do think that the review guidelines do state that one should not make these comments.  But I don't doubt that there are many reviews that violate this and we are not going to change them.  I personally have a lot of problem with those types of complaints because I, like many here, spend countless hours listening to music being suggested for the site and, with my team, make our best effort to determine if the artist belongs, and it sometimes feels like the reviewer takes a second to disrespect that effort
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 255256257258259 282>