Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 257258259260261 282>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wintertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 07:26
I just wanted to state my case. Thank you all for your responses.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 08:14
You're welcome. Hopefully an admin will see these posts and have an opinion on this.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 09:47
The charge of plagiarism was not okay and I have edited the review to change it to still sounds imitative of (by which I hope it is implied that that means that it sounds that way at least to the reviewer even if it wasn't actually being imitated by the artist).
Wintertree View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wintertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 16:10
Thank you, I appreciate it!
A
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 16:41
Good things come to those that wait, but I hope you don't wait another 8 years before posting here again.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 03:24
If someone ever wants to censor one of my reviews I hope they´ll contact me in good time before anything is done. I think it´s disrespectful to a reviewer who maybe spends hours writing a review, to have someone edit it without their consent. Personally I would be furious. When did it become the norm that artists can dictate what a reviewer should write about their music??? The word plagarize is a strong word, and the artist may find it offensive that someone thinks their music sounds a lot like a more known artists (in this case the mighty Floyd), but come on...it´s not a crime and I think the artist is a little thin skinned here. I´ll go lenghts for freedom of speech and freedom of expression, and I take offense to the fact that someone would even consider making edits to an otherwise valid and well written review.

Edited by UMUR - April 10 2021 at 03:31
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 03:37
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

If someone ever wants to censor one of my reviews I hope they´ll contact me in good time before anything is done. I think it´s disrespectful to a reviewer who maybe spends hours writing a review, to have someone edit it without their consent. Personally I would be furious. When did it become the norm that artists can dictate what a reviewer should write about their music??? The word plagarize is a strong word, and the artist may find it offensive that someone thinks their music sounds a lot like a more known artists (in this case the mighty Floyd), but come on...it´s not a crime and I think the artist is a little thin skinned here. I´ll go lenghts for freedom of speech and freedom of expression, and I take offense to the fact that someone would even consider making edits to an otherwise valid and well written review.

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression do not mean freedom from consequences.

I think you are being thinner skinned than the artist, to be honest.

I’m sure if the reviewer were still active, and I’m assuming they are not, then they would have been contacted to be asked to edit the post themselves. But if they chose not to edit it themselves, then I think there is no problem with editing it on their behalf.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 04:00
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Free speech has it's limits, especially when it encroaches on areas of defamation.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 04:22
Criticisms denoting musical inaptitude are different than those indicating that your music is sham, IMO.

I think a person should have a thick skin in the first, but if the claim is outright false like in the latter case, s/he has the right to make it corrected.

Imagine someone claims that a musician is a rapist... So is this freedom of speech? If the claim is false, it is perfectly legit to demand its removal from the content.

Edited by Shadowyzard - April 10 2021 at 04:34
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 04:36
BTW, I like Magus/The Winter Tree. Cool stuff!

Edited by Shadowyzard - April 10 2021 at 04:38
Wintertree View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wintertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 04:40
I strongly believe in freedom of speech and the press. But in this case I was accused in print of plagiarism. Whether he "meant" it or not is a
mute point.
I don't think I'm being thin skinned to want to protect my reputation.I know some people have less respect for artists if they are not "famous", but I like to protect my reputation.People can say or print anything about me that is fact or opinion. I would have preferred that the writer himself could have addressed this but so be it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 04:59
Many members, both visable and invisible, agreed with your concern. How about we let it drop now that the review in question has been altered to your satisfaction.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 05:35
It can't be slander if it's true. End of.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 05:48
But that's another story.

Edited by SteveG - April 10 2021 at 05:50
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 07:02
Some of the artists here are coddled in my opinion. I assume Wintertree is satisfied with his outcome.  

For an example of what I mean, a tale from the other side... On, April 19th, 2020, I received this PM from a musician that lurks here and will post when their name pops up. 

"Seems that ‘easy money’ deleted his thread about “known people visiting PA” in which he stated that i had asked people to improve Ratings on my albums...which for the record, i have never done (hence his Now deleting it) and that was the post on which you then called me “pathetic” etc joining in the flaming without questioning it factually"

I never called this artist "pathetic" or joined in the flaming, and my comments, and others, were removed from the thread. Nothing I wrote in this thread was in violation of any PA rules of conduct. This artist accused me of something I did not do and did not apologize for their mistake.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 07:19
If some negitive PA reviews are coddling then I'd hate to see what an all out assault looks like.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 08:07
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Some of the artists here are coddled in my opinion. I assume Wintertree is satisfied with his outcome.  

For an example of what I mean, a tale from the other side... On, April 19th, 2020, I received this PM from a musician that lurks here and will post when their name pops up. 

"<span style=": rgb240, 241, 245;">Seems that ‘easy money’ deleted his thread about “known people visiting PA” in which he stated that i had asked people to improve Ratings on my albums...which for the record, i have never done (hence his Now deleting it) and that was the post on which you then called me “pathetic” etc joining in the flaming without questioning it factually"</span>
<div style=": rgb240, 241, 245;">
<span style=": rgb240, 241, 245;">I never called this artist "pathetic" or joined in the flaming, and my comments, and others, were removed from the thread. Nothing I wrote in this thread was in violation of any PA rules of conduct. This artist accused me of something I did not do and did not apologize for their mistake.</span>

For the record, the artist in question did contact people. I let the matter drop in the spirit of letting bygones be bygones, but I would have never just made something like that up. I would have no reason to.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 11:49
Regarding the review I edited to replace the word plagiarism, while trying to keep the spirit of what I feel was intended, that user left this site six years ago so waiting for a response would seem unsatisfactory if not an outright exercise in futility. Had the user been active then I would have tried to contact the person before taking action. As has been said, freedom of speech has its limits, and we should be careful when it comes to libelous language.   As it says in the reviews guidelines, "Show respect for other reviewers, readers, the artists, and the CD and song titles" but this transcends simple respect in a sense. Plagiarism is a kind of fraud, and the burden of proof would fall on the one making such allegations. I treat actual plagiarism seriously as well as claims of plagiarism. A review can be deleted if "The review is insulting or derogatory towards the artist". Instead of deleting it altogether, I chose to edit out the claim and substitute other words. Under the terms of use of this site, I read it that reviews can both be modified and deleted, but of course one should be careful when it comes to editing such things, and it's not an action that I would wish to take too lightly.

If further clarification is required, then I suggest trying to contact M@x and/ or any of the other admin via PM and we can get back to reporting reviews in this topic. Thank you for your consideration.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 02:52
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2535687
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 03:49
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2535687
As it's in Italian, I've sent him a PM in his mother tongue.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 257258259260261 282>