Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGordian Knot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gordian Knot
    Posted: September 17 2006 at 22:14
Okay first off i wanna say i'm a huge fan of Instrumental Prog like Liquid Tension Experiment, Planet X, and Joe Satrioni.  But i'm also interested in Gordian Knot but here's the thing i know little about them.  All i know is Sean Malone is the master of this band and i love his work with Cynic and his play on OSI's first album.  Plus i know that they are all instrumental.  But i wanna know is that is the band any similar or as good as LTE and Planet X.  Plus what are the key best albums by this band cause i hate it when i buy a mediocre album and all i want is the best. So please peeps lend me some info.
Carry On My Wayward Son
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 22:17
gordian knot = modern king crimson in better
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
BePinkTheater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 22:19
I don't know anything about the band... But I do  know that Joe Satriani is not prog.
I can strangle a canary in a tin can and it would be really original, but that wouldn't save it from sounding like utter sh*t.
-Stone Beard
AtLossForWords View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 23:14
Great project, I love their debut.  Some parts could be more intresting, but overall Malone puts togethor a good album.

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2006 at 00:35
I can't get into Gordian knot. to complex to unravell.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
alias10mr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2006 at 15:24
Gordian Knot has released 2 albums: the first is eponymous and the second is titled " Emergent ". Both albums are interesting and well worth the money spent. Guests on these albums include Trey Gunn ( on the 1st) , Bill Bruford and Steve Hackett ( on Emergent ). You must enjoy instrumental music, no vocals here. The sound is very eclectic but Malone's bass playing ( actually Stick ) is textbook perfect. Try Emergent first and if you enjoy, get the first.
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2006 at 15:57
Emergent is probably my fav instrumental album ever.

Gordian Knot is a wonderful band!!!

Technically complex and 100% instrumental yet still packed with so much emotion...
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2006 at 17:00
The self-titled is great. Heard Emergent a while ago, didn't get into it, but I may if I bought it.
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2006 at 17:24
I think both their self-titled debut and Emergent are equally good. IMO they are not as perfect as LTE, but way better than anything ever done by Planet X. Very good modern fusion played by superb instrumentalists.
carefulwiththataxe
Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2006 at 19:26
Emergent is my favourite instrumental album as well. It managed to capture me and keep me breathless while listening so many times, like no other album could. Actually, every time I listen to it, I'm left with the impression that the message it was supposed to carry was made very clear, even in the absence of vocals; it's an album that really speaks to the open-minded listener.
On half of the tracks on the album the drums are played by Sean Reinert, on the other half (the second) by Bill Bruford. I'm not sure on which tracks Jim Matheos and Steve Hackett play, so if anyone knows this I'd really like to find out (I think I spotted Matheos on "Fischer's Gambit", but I'm not really sure).
Emergent also features an acoustic version of the track "Grace" (first appearing on the self-titled album), which is a particularly beautiful track performed live entirely by Malone (altough it ends up sounding like at least seven people playing), probably using the Frippian "soundscape" technique (I think, please correct me if you know more about this) - the effect being a layering of melodies that flow into each other and add to the increase in intensity and emotion... I really love the track and I find the version on Emergent a bit better than the first one, recorded in the studio.
Anyway, I find the first album a bit less coherent, with the many interludes and exploring of oriental themes, but it is extremely well crafted. Besides Trey Gunn, Ron Jarzombek is featured on "Code/Anticode" (first solo) and there should also be a John Myung on one of the tracks, but - again - I don't know which one.
Bottom line: GK is definitely something you should at least try out.

Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
ne mènent à rien si tu n’es plus là
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2006 at 22:15
If you want to hear some good,all instrumental jazz/death/prog metal listen to Continuo Renacer and their self-titled debut.Awesome stuff.

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2006 at 23:23
I own both Gordian Knot albums and they are among my favorite instrumental albums.  Fantastic work by Sean Malone.  Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 01:08
Has anyone ever heard Malone's only true solo album called Cortlandt?

Incredible album,and quite different than most of his other output.It's mainly a jazz-fusion album,and also features Sean Reinert on drums on all tracks and Trey Gunn on Stick,among others.

If you like Malone I strongly recommend checking it out.

Edited by TheProgtologist - September 20 2006 at 01:09

Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 17:35

Yes, Cortlandt is a great album. Continuo Renacer sound extremely promising, and Divided Sky is another good band in the same area (their second album was released this year and the first one is seemingly nowhere to be found).

But the band that comes closest to Gordian Knot in terms of quality (and style too) is, in my opinion, Canvas Solaris, an american instrumental trio. Penumbra Diffuse is their latest and it received a lot of well deserved praise on prog sites and more since its release earlier in the year. Very melodic stuff, also very technical and diverse, superb guitar craft and especially outstanding work on drums and percussion (Hunter Ginn is one of the most talented drummers I've ever heard). I think anyone who enjoys Gordian Knot should listen to these people - they are a real force. 

Edited by Uroboros - September 20 2006 at 17:36
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
ne mènent à rien si tu n’es plus là
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 17:53
Originally posted by Uroboros Uroboros wrote:

Yes, Cortlandt is a great album. Continuo Renacer sound extremely promising, and Divided Sky is another good band in the same area (their second album was released this year and the first one is seemingly nowhere to be found).

But the band that comes closest to Gordian Knot in terms of quality (and style too) is, in my opinion, Canvas Solaris, an american instrumental trio. Penumbra Diffuse is their latest and it received a lot of well deserved praise on prog sites and more since its release earlier in the year. Very melodic stuff, also very technical and diverse, superb guitar craft and especially outstanding work on drums and percussion (Hunter Ginn is one of the most talented drummers I've ever heard). I think anyone who enjoys Gordian Knot should listen to these people - they are a real force. 

I love Canvas Solaris,great recommendation!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply