Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOpinion on Jazz-Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What's your opinion on Jazz-Fusion?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [47.19%]
33 [37.08%]
6 [6.74%]
4 [4.49%]
2 [2.25%]
2 [2.25%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 08:46
I love it!! One of my favorite genres!
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 09:59
There are a few acts - like the Mahavishnu Orchestra - that I really really do think are fantastic, but there's a lot of so-so stuff about in the jazz fusion genre. So I'm going to say that I like it.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 12:25
I love it. 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 12:29
I definitely like it a lot, though perhaps 'love' is too strong a word. Not being a musician, obviously I can't catch any technical aspects in all their subtlety - however, it is undoubtedly a very rewarding genre to listen to. I only have one problem with most jazz-fusion: as the records are often completely instrumental, my attentions tends to wander a bit when there are no vocals at all. I know it's a limit, but this is the way I am.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 12:36
I kind of agree, Raffaella.  Later albums by Soft Machine, for example, seem to sound very samey.  So sometimes it's best to listen in small doses.  There's a limit to what one can do on a saxophone for example (as much as I love Elton Dean's playing), so one album every so often is sufficient.

Space Rock I find has a similar problem: a lot of the albums by some bands sound similar.

Edited by Geck0 - September 25 2006 at 12:36
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 13:05
Originally posted by Bilek Bilek wrote:

not exactly, IMHO... Fusion is a kind of "on the edge" genre, just a little inside than prog-electronic. many people may not like it, not to mention its characteristic of being an "acquired taste"...
before I forget, there's also "prog metal" which many may (or may not!) despise; as far as I remember you weren't even considering this genre "prog" Ivan; am I wrong LOL?

Yes you're wrong respect my opinion of Prog Metal Bilek, I said I don't like Dream Theater as the most iconic band of Prog Metal, they are prog but IMO not the great band most fans believe, but I like POS for example, I never doubted there are good Prog Metal bands and never said it was not a Progressive Sub-genre.

Hey if I didn't thought in Prog Metal as a valid Prog Sub-Genre, I wouldn't be asking repeatedly to add Iron Maiden and maybe Black Sabbath, I can't ask to add bands to a genre that supposedly doesn't exist.

If you like Symphonic, you have to like some Jean Luc Ponty albums and all the borderline bands between Fusion and Symphonic.

as for me, I started to "acquire" the taste in the last couple of years... along with "kraut-jazz", many great fusion acts are among my top 100 (I can't complie a smaller listTongue) I can't say "I love it", but I certainly like it; a lot...

I always try to listen everything possible and from the first time I listened Romantic Warrior, Birds of Fire and Aurora, I loved a great part of Fusion.

Iván

Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 13:09
Love it!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 15:13
there is something about the atmosphere of jazz-rock that i love too, maybe it's the use of rhoades piano (Corea, Hancock), the funk (RTF, Hancock, Mahaivishnu Orchestra, Steve Jenkins, well actually, almost all fusion bands...) and i like some a lot of jazz too, so put that and rock together, its a no-lose situation for me
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 03:22
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

not exactly, IMHO... Fusion is a kind of "on the edge" genre, just a little inside than prog-electronic. many people may not like it, not to mention its characteristic of being an "acquired taste"...
before I forget, there's also "prog metal" which many may (or may not!) despise; as far as I remember you weren't even considering this genre "prog" Ivan; am I wrong LOL?

Yes you're wrong respect my opinion of Prog Metal Bilek, I said I don't like Dream Theater as the most iconic band of Prog Metal, they are prog but IMO not the great band most fans believe, but I like POS for example, I never doubted there are good Prog Metal bands and never said it was not a Progressive Sub-genre.

Hey if I didn't thought in Prog Metal as a valid Prog Sub-Genre, I wouldn't be asking repeatedly to add Iron Maiden and maybe Black Sabbath, I can't ask to add bands to a genre that supposedly doesn't exist.

If you like Symphonic, you have to like some Jean Luc Ponty albums and all the borderline bands between Fusion and Symphonic.

as for me, I started to "acquire" the taste in the last couple of years... along with "kraut-jazz", many great fusion acts are among my top 100 (I can't complie a smaller listTongue) I can't say "I love it", but I certainly like it; a lot...

I always try to listen everything possible and from the first time I listened Romantic Warrior, Birds of Fire and Aurora, I loved a great part of Fusion.

Iván

though the quotes are somewhat confusing; your font color resolves all...
anyway; I truly remember somewhat telling me about "vanishing the borderline between prog rock and prog metal", thus implying the two genres are absolutely different (if somewhat related...) I remember it was a 5 star reviewer, and I don't know having much conversation with any 5 stars (which corresponds to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in Turkish army LOLLOL) other than you; so I might have mistaken on this matter... I'll check my PM's one of these days...
About Iron Maiden, now I remember your comment that this bands gives you a feeling "only prog gives"... actually the same happens to me, but as much as I love both bands; I wouldn't suggest their inclusion (maybe at a later time, as "proto prog metal", "heavy prog (Sabbath only)" or as "honourable mentions"...). It wouldn't kill me anyway.
I do like Ponty's music (though I can't give it a listen every now and then, 'cos I have a problem with my mp3 dics); but I didn't get your point. many fusion bands are not at the borderline at all... consider Soft Machine; I hated them when I first listened (in contract to my love-at-first-sight for Gong), then I found something to like; still, they don't get much spin in my turntable. That might even be tru for Mahavishnu Orch. et al. (and I really love the albums you mentioned; as I said, it took time to get into them...)
what the heck am I talking aboutTongue; the "abstract" of the story is "fusion" is a sort of acquired taste, and not every proghead has to like it Wink
one last comment: despite my soft spot for Maiden, Sabbath, and even Metallica, I don't like many of prog-metal bans (and I have a modest collection of many, believe me...) most of the time they sound too cheesy (and I hope this thread won't be a shooting range for prog-metal-headsWink)

Edited by Bilek - September 27 2006 at 03:25
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
MattiR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 10:36
Heart
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 10:47
I don't like it. Too much instrument skill show and too little thought about the meaning. Sometimes, it sounds like a cultural collage for elevators, disgracing cultures and elevators.
¡Beware of the Bee!

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 10:48

[QUOTE=Ivan_Melgar_M][QUOTE=Bilek]
not exactly, IMHO... Fusion is a kind of "on the edge" genre, just a little ...

Again, cute avatar. I remember when my cat was that tiny. Now, she's a giant.

¡Beware of the Bee!

andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 11:01
i'm into fusion/jazzrock since recent times, but i'm a fool for Weather Report - i wonder why didn't they get into your posts 'till now. i also enjoy Brand X. and linked to the semiofftopic discussion, i'll say that i also have the feeling of "progressive" while listening to early metal bands like judas priest (check rockarolla-1974). that may be an effect of their writing, very "progressive" like in the matter of guitar&rythm structure.

btw, hello everybody.
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 11:09
welcome, and get more progged as u stay longer ok????
Jeff Schu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 13:12
I absolutely Love Jazz Fusion!!! I can easily go a week straight listening to it.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 13:29
Originally posted by S Lang S Lang wrote:

Jazz Rock (European) and Fusion (US) are markedly different.

The first includes Mahavishnu, Soft Machine, Nucleus, Bruford, Brand X, Pierre Moerlen's Gong etc. whilst the latter is more of sophisticated elevator music performed by Spyro Gyra, Grover Washington Jr. Frank Gambale (an Australian), Scott Henderson, etc.

Good point. I absolutely love Mahavishnu, Soft Machine, Bruford etc, but most of the US bands such as Spyro Gyra, Weather Report and to a lesser extent Return To Forever tend to bore me. It's just a question of preference though, there's nothing wrong with them per se.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 13:49
I love an awful lot of Jazz-Fusion.  It's certainly one of my favourite genres.  Speaking as a Canadian, I think Quebec has really excelled at this genre (as have the French, it's a Francophone thing...).  I consider Canada's music scene (read Quebec really as that's where it's most at) to be strongest in the Jazz-Fusion and Avant prog departments.  Shame I grew up in Prog-light British Columbia.

I believe that much of the best music at this site falls under Jazz-Fusion.  But then I love rock and I love jazz.  Fuse them; bliss.
S Lang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 06:21
Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

I don't like it. Too much instrument skill show and too little thought about the meaning. Sometimes, it sounds like a cultural collage for elevators, disgracing cultures and elevators.

Instrumental music can be of exceptional value. The solos, even some riffs express emotions better than music sang in words.
I am not sure if you've made your point in respect of lack of vocals, though?

The absolute devotion in say, John McLaughlin's solos is hard to deny. Many others too, have managed to create feeling through improvisation. Would Jazz qualify?   Wink
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 06:38

some of it is sooooo wanky its great!!!! ahahahah....Chick Corea Elektric Band anyone?

proger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 16:05
I Like it.
but I dont like show-offs like greg howe and all that.
...live for tomorrow...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>