Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPaatos - Excellent review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paatos - Excellent review
    Posted: October 03 2006 at 02:19
(john davie)

3 stars 3.5 stars.This record could be described as melancholic jazz music with mellotron.I really like the first song "sensor",i feel Petronella's vocals are best suited in a song like this where she can let go, as it were ,instead of almost speaking when she sings.The drummer is great on this one ,as are the former LANDBERK guitar players."Hypnotique" has a line at the start that says "i'm a flower-smell me".I cringe everytime i hear that.Twice in my truck i've had this song on, when other people were with me,and both times they've laughed at that lyric.By the way both times they were females."Tea" makes up for it though,it has a bit of an ANEKDOTEN feel to it,lots of mellotron,my favourite off of this record."They are beautiful" begins with accoustic guitar and clarinet,that builds a little from the pastoral mood."Quits" is another song that keeps me from rating this album higher.It has a drum and base sound that is quite poppy and is almost a dance tune about breaking up with your partner.The song ends in a prolonged jazz improv(hey,that's what i hear).So i have mixed feelings about this record,but i can still recommend it,"timeloss" has much more going for it,then it does against it.

Posted Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 00:13 EST | Permanent link

Humorous and very accurate, saved me a review!!!!!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 02:21
Supporting Porcupine Tree at the moment.I thought they were very good at The Astoria.Certainly lots of Mellotron!
Tristan Mulders View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 12:23
Great band I've been listening to over and over again the last few weeks! I've seen them live on tour with Porcupine Tree last week and live it was a bit heavier than on their albums, but still.. well.. excellent Thumbs Up

I love all three albums they've released since 2002 Smile
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 12:35
i was quite impressed with Paatos, i especially enjoyed the Mellotron playing, and of course  Petronella Nettermalm!
  must hear Kallocain sometime.

Edited by mystic fred - October 03 2006 at 12:38
Prog Archives Tour Van
 Post Reply Post Reply