Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCYNIC REUNITES!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: CYNIC REUNITES!
    Posted: October 03 2006 at 11:29
Big smile

It's Official: CYNIC To Reunite For European Festival Appearances, Possible U.S. Dates - Sep. 25, 2006
Long-defunct Florida-based band CYNIC, whose 1993 album "Focus" is regarded as a landmark release in the field of technical/progressive metal, has confirmed plans to embark a reunion tour in the spring/summer of 2007, beginning with possible U.S. warm-up performances and culminating in a number of festival appearances across Europe (as BLABBERMOUTH.NET first reported on Sept. 6).

CYNIC reunion lineup:

Paul Masvidal - Vocals / Guitar
Sean Reinert - Drums / Keys
Tony Teegarden - Vocals / Keyboards
Chris Kringel - Bass
Santiago Dobles – Guitar

Kringel, who replaces Sean Malone (who can't participate in the reunion because of teaching and work commitments) in CYNIC's reunion lineup, has been involved with the band since the pre-"Focus" days and toured with the band in Europe in support of the CD. He also played bass on the classic and much-sought-after PORTAL demos and toured the U.K. with Paul and Sean's AEON SPOKE project. Teegarden also previously toured with CYNIC in support of "Focus", while Santiago — who is said to be "the man behind AGHORA" — has been around the CYNIC camp since 1993-94 and was one of Masvidal's guitar students in Miami back in the day.

According to Masvidal, guitarist Jason Gobel was approached about participating in the reunion, but was forced to turn it down due to family and work commitments. However, he gave the rest of the group his blessings to proceed and is said to be "honored" to have Santiago as his replacement.

Prior to releasing "Focus" through Roadrunner Records, Paul and Sean played on the groundbreaking DEATH album "Human" alongside the band's mastermind Chuck Schuldiner and Steve DiGiorgio of SADUS. Masvidal and Reinert described their relationship with Chuck as "very laid back", and were able to help Schuldiner with the writing by giving him input, which had been missing on the earlier DEATH records. The result was a classic record, and DEATH even got some MTV airplay. At the same time, then-bassist Tony Choy was filling in for the late Roger Patterson on ATHEIST's "Unquestionable Presence", and guesting on PESTILENCE's "Testimony of the Ancients". Meanwhile, Paul did some work on MASTER's "On the Eighth Day, God Created Master", and guitarist Jason Gobel worked with MONSTROSITY, playing lead on their "Imperial Doom" album. All of this guest work helped to enlarge the fan base for CYNIC, making them — according to a Roadrunner Records press release issued prior to the release of "Focus" — "the most popular underground act to never record an album." More recently, Masvidal and Reinert — both of whom are currently based in Los Angeles — have been keeping busy with AEON SPOKE (web site), a progressive ethereal-rock project whose self-titled album is due in March 2007 through SPV Records.

For more information on the CYNIC reunion, visit the official web site at www.cynicalsphere.com. Booking, press and questions should be addressed to: [email protected].

I'm not missing this chance... Star
sig
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 12:13
sweet! Big smile
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 12:17
Clap

yay cynic!
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 13:27
*makes excited statements in a robotic voice*
sig
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 13:35
Old news, but awesome regardless.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 13:40
It's good news,but sort of a bummer that Malone(a superb but very underrated bassist)can't participate.

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 13:42
Really 1/2 of Cynic reunites, but I guess it's still awesome.
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 13:59
Malone was essentially a session bassist on Focus, he joined at a stage when the songwriting was pretty much complete.  Sure it would be cooler to have such a powerful name onstage with them, but contrary to what some seem to believe they're in no way missing a crucial member of the band.  If Paul Masvidal and Sean Reinert are on a stage playing Cynic songs, we should be rejoicing no matter who's with them.

Edited by Bryan - October 03 2006 at 14:00
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 16:32
I still laugh because in perhaps 1995 or 96 I wandered by this album in a record store, and randomly made the decision to buy it, having heard nothing about the band, but thinking the name was cool.  I also remember posting on some random message board or newsgorup how awesome it was at the time, and later I got an e-mail from Sean Malone saying "Glad you liked it."  Wish I had saved the e-mail.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 17:33
New news to me, and awesome news at that! Do I really want to go to a metal festival though..?
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 19:57
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

New news to me, and awesome news at that! Do I really want to go to a metal festival though..?

Yes you do, at least provided it's a good one.  My experience at Wacken Open Air 2006 was astonishingly positive, but I've heard that UK metal festivals aren't so good so I may be wrong.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 09:07
Originally posted by Bryan Bryan wrote:

Malone was essentially a session bassist on Focus, he joined at a stage when the songwriting was pretty much complete.  Sure it would be cooler to have such a powerful name onstage with them, but contrary to what some seem to believe they're in no way missing a crucial member of the band.  If Paul Masvidal and Sean Reinert are on a stage playing Cynic songs, we should be rejoicing no matter who's with them.

I know that and I agree with what you said Bryan....I am just a real big Sean Malone fan.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 11:48

Let me just say: WooHoo!!! (a-la Homer Simpson).

el bφthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 16:09
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

It's good news,but sort of a bummer that Malone(a superb but very underrated bassist)can't participate.

yep yep yep...still good news!!!
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
master_k View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 09:17
Definetly good news! I wish they could have recruited Tony Choy instead. The Cynic demo from 91 is a masterpiece!
Situation that rules your world (despite all you've said)

I would strike against it but the rule displaces...
 Post Reply Post Reply