This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Froth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dave Sinclair or Jan Schelhaas
    Posted: October 19 2006 at 08:26
Mike Ratledge was the first organ player to use fuzz and it was he who suggested that Hugh Hopper should try fuzz on his bass. Such a shame that one of the best and most origional of organ players should decide to quite the music scene altogether.

Back to Sinclair/Schelhaus, for me its sinclair. Schelhaus does a good job and may well be more profficiant than dave sinclair but he doesn't have that unique style or compositional skill. I think the 'Winter Wine' solo says it all.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 08:23
Sinclair without question. Schelhaas is competent but I've always found him to be fairly average and occasionally, below average. Listen to his scrappy solos on live DVDs like 'A Knight In London' and wonder how he ever got into such a classic band. However, to be fair, that DVD caught everyone on an off-night and the band didn't even get paid royalties for its release! He was largely very good on the 35th Anniversary Concert DVD.

I must say Sinclair was one of the best during the early 70s but his returns over the years were rather less impressive. I sensed a lack of commitment to what he was playing on some performances I've seen and heard on DVD etc. Still, based on his 70s output, it still has to be him.
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 08:15
To my regret, I've never seen either of them in the flesh, although I did see Schelhaas on that recent live DVD, and he was clearly enjoying himself.

I really love the bright sound of Schelhaas' minimoog on BLIND DOG, and especially on the much-maligned BETTER BY FAR, but I guess Sinclair is the more original player. By the way, where did he get that typical organ sound from? (Hammond organ with 'fuzz box', or waddya call it?) Was Mike Ratledge the first the use it?
Neil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 06:58
Being a big Caravan fan and having seen them live with both of the above I've always slightly preferred dave Sinclair's playing to that of Jan Schelhaas, although Jan always seems to be enjoyng it more.

What do you guys think?
When people get lost in thought it's often because it's unfamiliar territory.
 Post Reply Post Reply