Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgood sites to d/l prog rock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: good sites to d/l prog rock?
    Posted: March 10 2004 at 15:41
I am a huge fan of prog rock, but I need a good place to get some of the more obscure stuff.  Any suggestions?   Ares sucked for even the well know, like ELP, Focus, Hawkwind, old school Genesis, ect. so I need something better.  Soulseek is okay but I have trouble finding some of the obscure Dutch prog rock bands that interest me.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 15:50
Greetings!My name is Dale Hauskins.I was the Los Angeles Californian Guitarist of the Swiss(Luzern/Weggis)progressive rock band FLAME DREAM(6 albums on Phonogram's Vertigo label produced by John Acock(Steve Hackett/Nick Magnus/Genesis/Steel Eye Span/ELO/Deep Pulple/etc!))Mostly recorded at Patrick Moraz's studio in Geneve,Switzerland 1979-1986      http://www.rire-sous-cape.ch/counting-out-time/flame-dream/f lame-dream-index.htm                      http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/flamedream/

Edited by dalehauskins
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 16:24

Originally posted by Carl floyd fan Carl floyd fan wrote:

I am a huge fan of prog rock, but I need a good place to get some of the more obscure stuff.  Any suggestions?   Ares sucked for even the well know, like ELP, Focus, Hawkwind, old school Genesis, ect. so I need something better.  Soulseek is okay but I have trouble finding some of the obscure Dutch prog rock bands that interest me.

First of all, I've got to say: Dale Hauskins! Stop spamming please, I don't think you helped him with that 

Now I can answer your question, Carl floyd fan: You're from the USA and you're looking for obscure Dutch bands? Cool! I am not a very experienced prog-listener, but one of the first bands I listened too was Supersister, Dutch band that belongs in the Canterbury Scene. They made some great, but not very well-known music!

All of their first four records are good starting places, but the first stuff I heard from them was Pudding en Gisteren (which means Pudding and Yesterday) and Superstarshine. Their music has organ, flute and guitars. You can view their discography and read my reviews on: http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=688

It was my dad, actually, who downloaded Supersister (he used to have some on vinyl). So I guess it should be available on Soulseek. Good luck!

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 16:30

Originally posted by dalehauskins dalehauskins wrote:

Greetings!My name is Dale Hauskins.I was the Los Angeles Californian Guitarist of the Swiss(Luzern/Weggis)progressive rock band FLAME DREAM(6 albums on Phonogram's Vertigo label produced by John Acock(Steve Hackett/Nick Magnus/Genesis/Steel Eye Span/ELO/Deep Pulple/etc!))Mostly recorded at Patrick Moraz's studio in Geneve,Switzerland 1979-1986      http://www.rire-sous-cape.ch/counting-out-time/flame-dream/f lame-dream-index.htm                      http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/flamedream/

Yo Dale, Lighten up.

Post some MP3's, we'll be happy to critque.

Carl floyd fan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 12:11
Thanks a lot you two!  Yeah, dutch prog rock seems really cool all of a sudden after I found out about Focus.  They are one of the most amazing bands I have ever heard!  They are without a doubt one of my favorites now!
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 13:38
True... Anonymous Two
pyxxel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 18:09
Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

Yo Dale, Lighten up.

Post some MP3's, we'll be happy to critque.

Hmmm, dunno about slamming Dale Hauskins... OK so he advertised a little for his ex-band, but you should have checked the links he posted, there ARE some mp3's of Flame Dream for d/l.

...used to love them back around 1980, still got two vinyl albums... am I the only one?!?

Greetz from Dublin,
My sympathy to Madrid,
pyxxel
pyxxel + dublin + ireland
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 18:16
Spamming the site, as Dale did, was not cool. A certain amount of tact is needed to be welcome. He went over the top. Many of his posts have been removed. Time and a place, Mr. pyxxel. 
pyxxel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 18:18
...oooh and nearly forgot:

A good site to d/l some sample full mp3s is http://www.progrockrecords.com/ which is in the link list of ProgArchives. You can download one or two complete songs for some artists, and samples of most.

I know they are only tasters but I liked it - I don't mind buying a CD eventually when I'm satisfied I get stuff I like...

pyxxel
pyxxel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 18:21
Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

Spamming the site, as Dale did, was not cool. A certain amount of tact is needed to be welcome. He went over the top. Many of his posts have been removed. Time and a place, Mr. pyxxel. 

OK - point taken!

pyxxel
 Post Reply Post Reply