Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Church of the Progressive Evangelicals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Church of the Progressive Evangelicals
    Posted: November 18 2006 at 10:42
Hello chaps.

I'm curious as to whether or not I'm alone in my sometimes "evangelical" stance towards Prog. I'm pretty damn sure I can't be. Try as I might every so often I can't help but burst into my housemate's room and command her to come and listen to one amazing album or another, fully aware that she'll get nothing out of it. Are any of your friends or relatives sick of you trying to convert them to your proggy ways? Have you given up trying?

HAS ANYONE EVER SUCCESSFULLY CONVERTED SOMEONE INTO A GENUINE PROG FAN?

After nearly two years, I think my girlfriend's definitely beginning to crack. She happily comes with me to most of my gigs and seems to come back from each one with a bigger grin on her face. She also asked me to burn her some stuff recently, namely:

• Some more Ozric Tentacles (I'd given her a copy of Erpland a while back).
  • Pere Ubu (okay, not prog but a lot weirder than yer average noises).
  • OOIOO
  • This Heat
  • Captain Beefheart (!!!)
Meanwhile, she's been going through her old albums and realising how little of it she wants to listen to nowadays. She also confessed to me recently that whilst in the past she'd go to any gig offered to her as "live music's fine, whatever the genre", when her friend recently took her to see The Feeling (bland-as-porridge 70's-tinged pop-rock for those who don't know) she was standing there with gritted teeth. She accuses me of turning her into a music snob. I say she's just beginning to see the light... Wink

Edited by Trouserpress - November 18 2006 at 10:44
Dalezilla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2006 at 10:45
Well I've played a lot of prog to my friends. A lot of them actually like some of the stuff I play them. But unfortunately they tend to lean towards the prog metal direction. Nothing wrong with that, but it's just not my favorite sub-genre.

I'm still trying to get someone into Harmonium. Cry
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2006 at 15:40
A friend of mine successfully converted me, but I haven't personally managed to convert any one.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2006 at 15:43
Yes, a good three of my friends.

Mostly to the Dream Theater camp, but one friend is interested enough to want to get into more prog-metal, which is good. He doesn't care enough to buy the music, just to download it. Angry

Flaming Lips, Pink Floyd, and Ayreon are all well-respected/-loved among a few of my friends.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2006 at 16:01
No, because I haven't even tried and I don't want to (sorry if my story differs).

My true few friends are of an elegant and educated musical sense, plus they've got the knowledge of some prog music. So no converting needed over there. They don't know, of course, as much as me, but they have the touch and they know what exactly of Genesis counts and how well did Jethro Tull actually achieved, back in the 70s. Wink

In the collective of "contemporary teenagers" I would be the one talking to deaf people. Not only that they settle upon the lowest forms of music manifest (the MTV type - mainly stupidly easy pop, manele, hip-hop of under-seizable quality-the boys, mostly), but they would be offended to be offered something of less...skepsis and more...substance. Plus, I on the other hand, would hate for someone to say ugly or offensive words against my likings.

It's just a brutal world out there, and I like to stay in the warmth of my own feelings.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2006 at 18:26
Well, I've succesfully converted my sister who now loves the more "commercial" side of prog; Riverside, Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, Opeth (Damnation) and to a lesser extent Anekdoten and Landberk.

I also played her some Samla Mammas Manna (Långt Ner I Ett Kaninhål) this week. She was actually laughing out loud and really seemed to be enjoying it, but I think it was mainly because of the absurd vocals.

I've tried to convert a few of my friends, but no luck as of yet, although one of them has sampled Nucleus, Frank Zappa, Pat Metheny, King Crimson, and Mogwai in his music - he's a hiphop producer of some sort. I think it's great personally (he's not using them to get any money), but I guess most prog fans are not very pleased with this.
yesfan88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 00:29
I constantly get excited when I buy music and make my sister listen to it, but she mostly just smiles and nods, doesn't really get it.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"- Evelyn Beatrice Hall
Australian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 00:37

I kind of converted by best friend, but it just so happened that his father is a massive prog fan and has an equally large CD collection. You can imagine how this turned out.Big smile

He got me into Kansas becuase he used to keep singing the same part of Carry on Wayward son over and over so I had to ask who it was by.

Edited by Australian - November 19 2006 at 00:38
R o V e R View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 00:47
i introduce Progressive music to most of my friends,
i didnt convert them, totally
but manage to make them love some of the great prog bands,. like
Gentle Giant,Eloy,Emerson Lake and Palmer,Ozric Tentacles,
Camel,(Girls like Camel)
Kayak, and lots more

now they have these albums,along with whatever other collection they have
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 21:39
I got one of my friends into Genesis, Yes, and Nektar so far. I'm trying to get him deeper.  

superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 22:39
i would NEVER want to get my girlfren/wife involved in my music taste hahaha.......some privacy is impt y'know!!!

for myself and my friends/musical acquaintances its really funny bec we all got into classic prog/fusion at abt roughly the same time, w/o prodding one another.  Guess its that spirit of the times thing, where ppl who are obsesed w music yet crave musicality move into the MOST musical of genres........

i used to be v evangelical abt my musical tastes, esp for experimental music, but nowadays i just let things be and listen to whatever pleases me....of course i tell my friends abt it but no more pushing, so to speak..........
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 22:41
on second thots thats NOT quite true bec here i am in this forum continually PUSHING the virtues of Supersilent and Tortoise ahahahaha!!!!!!!!

PLUG PLUG PLUG PLUG
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 03:30

i'm the perfect case of a tabula rasa  "SUCCESSFULLY CONVERTED INTO A GENUINE PROG FAN" by a true master. as for me, i may have a good chance with my younger brother - he's 18 and into dj electronic stuff (like Hernan Cattaneo, Deep Dish, etc.); he recently played by mistake my video copy of PF's Live at Pompeii and he says he was stunned. i might just give it a try.

ResidentAlien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 03:49
I've been slowly but surely converting my younger sister to the ways of Prog.  I even got her to enjoy some Maudlin of the Well the other day.  Smile

Edited by ResidentAlien - November 20 2006 at 23:17
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 08:35
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Try as I might every so often I can't help but burst into my housemate's room and command her to come and listen to one amazing album or another, fully aware that she'll get nothing out of it.

Well, this summer, when I only liked Pink Floyd, I went to a sort of "summer school for smart people" thing, and I converted my roommate and one of the people across the hall into Pink Floyd fans, one of them for Atom Heart Mother and the sax solo in Money...

EDIT: Oh, and reading Andu's post about his dj electronic loving brother reminded me that I also got a dj electronic loving friend of mine to like Thick as a Brick...  But I don't know if it counts, because he immediately suggested the Mars Volta to me...  Well, there went twenty bucks...

Edited by inpraiseoffolly - November 20 2006 at 08:37
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 08:37

you should keep your padawans from the dark ways of the Prog.... PROG METAL!!! Evil SmileLOL

Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 08:38
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

No, because I haven't even tried and I don't want to (sorry if my story differs).

My true few friends are of an elegant and educated musical sense, plus they've got the knowledge of some prog music. So no converting needed over there. They don't know, of course, as much as me, but they have the touch and they know what exactly of Genesis counts and how well did Jethro Tull actually achieved, back in the 70s. Wink

In the collective of "contemporary teenagers" I would be the one talking to deaf people. Not only that they settle upon the lowest forms of music manifest (the MTV type - mainly stupidly easy pop, manele, hip-hop of under-seizable quality-the boys, mostly), but they would be offended to be offered something of less...skepsis and more...substance. Plus, I on the other hand, would hate for someone to say ugly or offensive words against my likings.

It's just a brutal world out there, and I like to stay in the warmth of my own feelings.

The younger generation of prog fans on ProgArchives is here for you, mate.Thumbs Up
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2006 at 09:03
Most of my friends like 'drinking anthems' You know the stuff, Snow Patrol, Oasis and sh!t like that. Either that or Hip Hop. One of them once sneered at the sound of VDGG, dismissing it as 'heavy metal' There wasn't even a guitar to be heard...

I've one friend, who worked as a sound engineer for Coldcut and as a club DJ. He is a big Brian Eno fan and always asks me to play what I'm listening to. He reacted very positively to King Crimson, VDGG, Zappa and Gentle Giant. He already knew some Canterbury stuff (to my surprise!) He tends towards the 'wierder' stuff, and doesn't really like anything symphonic.

I have several friends who do enjoy some prog, but overall, no I've not converted anyone into as big a geek as myself.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 07:03
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Oasis and sh!t like that

no comment.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 11:35
Some of my friends wont mind listening to it but I doubt they will go out and buy prog, and I'm not interested in converting them, though of course I do hope that they get into it of their own accord.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>