Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDeluge Grander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deluge Grander
    Posted: November 22 2006 at 22:49
I have added this Baltimore based band to PA.
Read about them here:
http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=2706

Here is their bio:
It was after Cerebus Effect’s third release, Acts Of Deception that Dan Britton (keyboards, vocals and some guitars) approached Patrick Gaffney (drums) and suggested they form a new group together. Dan had been working on material of his own and wanted this new group to record this music he had composed and even play it live. They were joined by guitarist Dave Berggren who added to the repertoire and later on by Brett d'Anon who plays bass. Their first album August In The Urals was released in September 2006 through the new label EMKOG. In this album they are joined by several guest musicians: Jeff Suzdal plays saxophones on the first track; Adnarim Dadelos performs the vocal on the last track; a special appearance is Brett d’Anon’s uncle Frank d' Anon which is a mutli instrumentalist and on the album he plays on xylophone, trumpet, flute & keyboards on the first and last tracks and also contributed to the writing process.
This first release presents a softer sound than that of Cerebus Effect. Cerebus was labeled Canterbury Metal due to its eclectic style which employed use of elements from various musical genres such as the two mentioned above and the obvious fusion/jazz-rock basis. That same basis is also found on Deluge Grander, only this band has stripped itself from the metallic sounds and instead now incorporates a more symphonic rock based approach. Yes; you can even hear mellotron sounding keyboards on several tracks. The Canterburian sound has not been neglected as well and it is too revisited on certain occasions throughout the album. With all this said, the fusion basis of this band appears to be the strongest and most dominant sound here.
This release is a stroke of fresh air in the progressive rock “camp”. The flawless mixture that Deluge Grander presents is not only enjoyable to listen to, but also carries you away with its enthusiasm. Their music, while influenced by older bands of the aforementioned genres, is nevertheless a pleasure to hear and does not feel in any way like a rehash of the same thing; but rather creating an original sound that is the culmination of what is best from each style.
Deluge Grander is from the Baltimore/DC area in the USA.

Go to www.delugegrander.com to listen to samples.

I highly recommend that you listen to this (and stop ranting about Led Zep which was added as prog-related, and focus on a real prog band).

www.delugegrander.com

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 00:09
How typical...
Led Zeppelin gets added and the whole world goes berzerk...
A real prog band gets added and no one gives a damn...

I give up...

Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 00:11
Well,

Auguist in the Urals is on my next order at CDBaby.com. 

And I have downloaded samples fom the bands website as well as samples from CD Baby. 

Always ahaead of the curve. 

Big smile
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 00:14
^^^^
Great! Glad to see you getting into this band.

You can also get them at Laser's Edge (10$), Big Balloon (10.80$) and Synphonic.

By the way, Dan Britton announced this in the DG website:
"
November 22, 2006: Also newsworthy is that Dan the keyboardist and occasional guitarist (ie me) has been playing with a new group in the DC area to be entitled "Birds and Buildings." Most of the composition for the first album is done, and recording will start in December 2006. There's also a very good chance that the group will do some live work. The group also has Malcolm McDuffie on drums, Dustin Swanson on bass, and Brian Falkowski on saxes and other windy instruments.
"

Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 00:19
Assaf, don't give up! There have been many recent entries that have passed by everyone in the last few weeks. I just finished the Kin Ping Meh addition, and I know Olivier has added Oregon (one of my alltime favorites, truly groundbreaking and original!) and Steve Tibbetts (also, a very interesting and great artist), and many others.

People just want to nitpick about the non Prog additions and ignore the interesting Prog additions, I guess...
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 00:21
^^^
Precisely. Thanks for the cheer.
Also as Zac mentioned, there were some very good and interesting additions lately and indeed Kin Ping Meh is one of them.
Look at their page here in PA that Zac made:
http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=2698

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 00:27
Well done, Assaf, a very worthy entry indeed and hopefully many more will be added this weekend.

Don't give up at all!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 00:36
Thank you people.
With the recent additions and the coming additions (I will leave the members in suspense as to which bands will be added, but let me tell you those are good and worthy msucians/bands) I think we have much to look to.

Prepare for two additions from Geck0.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 00:52
Three bands actually, Assaf... oh wait, make that four.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 00:56
^^^
You are right. Sorry I was only thinking of Symphonic...

Yes some really exciting additions in Symphonic, fusion and RIO/Avant/Zeuhl coming...

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 01:30
I was only thinking of symphonic too, if you add the RIO/Zeuhl, then it's even more. Wink
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 04:46
Come on Avestin, if I should be encouraged by non-prog bands flooding the Prog Archives site, I would have been in a very bad mental state Unhappy so let's focus on the good moments Approve ! Next week I will receive the Deluge Grander CD and review it soon (and I hope Also Eden, The Gift and Yesterdays). Thanks for your efforts and keep in mind that you are not alone Hug .. !
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 06:28
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

How typical...
Led Zeppelin gets added and the whole world goes berzerk...
A real prog band gets added and no one gives a damn...

I give up...

Oh, no! You can't be serious, man. I mean if you and the likes will give up, what will remain for us very small but very smart minority here to do? LOL - to participate in useless debates?  - this is not what we are here for.

Deluge Grander is on it's way to me and hopefully I'll get it by the end of the month, and you know that I ordered it soon after I got hooked on Cerebrus Effect (thanks to you as well) and you brought info about DG being their reincarnation with less metal in their music.

You know the score, so keep calm and effective, as you normally do, pleaseBig smile
carefulwiththataxe
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 10:13
^^^
Just a short outburst that passed quickly...

Since we talking about Baltimore based bands, I want to ask here as well about Chaos Code from there (does anyone know them), and also mention again that Britton is playing in a new group Birds and Buildings.

Maybe Jody can tell us about more bands from his region and hometown.

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 10:22
Great! A fine addition to PA.Thumbs Up I liked the first listen of the album and I'm going to listen to them later this day. Don't forget their close relatives Cerebus Effect. Another great band.

Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 14:48
I liked the Cerebus Effect album a lot. I found in it a certain edge that I'd been looking for in fusion bands for a while and never quite seemed to find - a certain versatilty/playfulness, but also some gravity induced by the heavy aspects of the music. A very enjoyable listen and a new experience for me. Therefore, Deluge Grander is definitely on my list of near future findings.
Also, I'm intrigued by the recommendations for God Is an Astronaut, so I'm willing to check them out as well; and I'm glad Set Fire to Flames were added (I actually figured they must have been here already, given their connections with well known post-rock outfits).
To briefly answer the Led Zeppelin issue, I think it's natural that their inclusion causes discussion, mainly because many people (myself included) feel it was a wrong thing to do. Nobody can contest the validity of adding something that is definitely prog. Well, of course, that's not really the reason Smile, but still I think the discussions are justified. Perhaps it would be a good idea to open a new thread like this one every time a new band is added. If not, and especially if that band doesn't get reviewed by many people, few will notice it has been added. Some extra promotion for these bands would be welcome.
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
ne mènent à rien si tu n’es plus là
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 14:51

Nice to see some local boys from my city in the archives!!!!

Highly recommended,and as previously mentioned,check out their previous incarnation Cerebus Effect.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 14:53
@ Uroboros:
Point taken. Smile
I will try and do a thread each time I add a band (and also for bands others add if no thread is done for them).

I hope to add soon a RIO band - Debile Menthol. After that there are 3 other RIO/Avant bands I wish to add which are waiting approval by our Zeuhl/Avant/RIO Team (ZART for short).
There are gerat additions coming in Symphonic too, but I'll keep you in suspense... Big smile

@ Jody: What other acts do you have in your area?

Edited by avestin - November 23 2006 at 14:54
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2006 at 01:32
I plan on ordering it soon. Thumbs Up
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2006 at 15:41
Nice work Assaf. Clap

As you are always a source of many interesting finds, members would do well by checking out your recoomendations. This is why I am here. The new discoveries are great.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>