Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich album do you "rather dislike"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which of these albums can you not stand?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [6.85%]
5 [6.85%]
10 [13.70%]
9 [12.33%]
6 [8.22%]
17 [23.29%]
21 [28.77%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 18:20
Changed the subject title- apparently the word hate is harmful.

Yes' Big Generator seems to be getting a lot of choices, but I've never heard it so I didn't include it.
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 20:40
When I listen to post Hackett Genesis it makes me angry so does Camel's Snowgoose, but I voted other because I'm sure there are worse bands on the archives.

MattiR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 11:23
Dream Theater "Octavarium"LOL
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 11:32
I just couldn't believe how poor yes 'Open Your Eyes' was when I heard it...Pinch
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
MadcapLaughs84 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 18:48
Post Hackett Albums, any of them.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 12:46
Where's Yes Union!?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 13:38
I wish that Magma's Merci was listed.  Not that that poor album put prog back a few years, but it would be twenty years until Magma released another great, or indeed any studio album.

Edited by Logan - March 21 2008 at 13:42
Just a fanboy passin' through.
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 14:01
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

Where's Yes Union!?

Not all is bad on UNION, for sure not all is great either!!Cry....but that's more than a one star album at least for me......and the cover is great!LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 14:23
However poor Union is, I would disagree with that album as Yes' listed choice.  Note that only one album of each of these bands was listed, but an other "option" is available.

To quote part of the initial  post:

Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

Which album do you think is not only bad, it set prog back a few years? This is similar to the "When bands lost it" thread but these albums affected your perception of a band and/or prog in general as opposed to just sucking.

Tormato brought an end to Yes' prog domination; though not terrible, it does not measure up to Yes' standards....

I don't think that Tormato is Yes' worst album, but that 1978 album was, I think, a clear beginning of the end for Yes in terms of "prog dominance."  Actually Drama, the following album wasn't bad, as I recall, and subsequnet albums were worse than Tormato.  Union didn't come out until 1991, and I don't think Yes came out with one strong prog album throughout the 80's.  Mind you, i haven't bothered listening to any post classic Yes albums (for me the classic years were pre-Tormato) in years.  I'd much rather discover to and listen to albums that are held in high-esteem by the prog community as I only have so much funds and time.
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 14:35
King Crimson - Discipline: Boring, but not offensively bad
Yes - Tomato: One great song, but the rest were pretty bad
ELP - Love Beach: Never heard it (good thing?)
Dream Theater - Octavarium: Boring and offensively bad!
Rush - Presto: Don't remember what this was like
Genesis - ATTWT/Post-Hackett stuff: Not prog, so I don't count it
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 14:46
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Mind you, i haven't bothered listening to any post classic Yes albums (for me the classic years were pre-Tormato) in years.  I'd much rather discover to and listen to albums that are held in high-esteem by the prog community as I only have so much funds and time.

This. =)

It's not my time or money, but it does irk me when people on a prog forum can recall the track names from Big Generator and mount a defence of "Roll the Bones" but haven't yet tried much stronger and well-supported albums with much better reviews. Poor priorities, I say =)

Still, this comes from someone who five-starred ConstruKction of Light ;P
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 14:49
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

ELP - Love Beach: Never heard it (good thing?)

It's one of the most notorious albums in progdom, and arguably the biggest fall from grace (arguable that ELP had grace to begin with Wink).

I'd day that it's worth hearing for its sheer badness, and worth hearing so that  one can join in on prog discussions about how horrible it is (I actually don't  consider it all bad).

It may not be worth hearing, depending on why one would want to hear it, but it's definitely worth seeing for it's embarrassing album cover.

It's not an album I'd recommend generally, and almost certainly not to an avant garde head..
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 15:17
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

Mind you, i haven't bothered listening to any post classic Yes albums (for me the classic years were pre-Tormato) in years.  I'd much rather discover to and listen to albums that are held in high-esteem by the prog community as I only have so much funds and time.

This. =)

It's not my time or money, but it does irk me when people on a prog forum can recall the track names from Big Generator and mount a defence of "Roll the Bones" but haven't yet tried much stronger and well-supported albums with much better reviews. Poor priorities, I say =)

And there I responded to someone that they may wish to check out Love Beach to see what all the fuss is about. ;)

Yes, I can understand that uberfans of certain bands will want to check out all those albums by their favourite bands that are considered poor.  I'm generally not such a completist.  Merci is poor, did I want it, yes!  I don't have KC's ConstruKtion, but have hard a little and liked it.  Poppish music doesn't bother me at all, and I take it that KC's album is much more than that.  Great review by you... I don't automatically dismiss music because it's generally held in low-regard (and some reviewers and raters have much closer tastes to mine so I'd rather rely on their opinions even though they may be in the minority), but yes, I totally agree with your points.

I wish more people would dig deeper, and re-prioritise what they choose to get, but also as a corollary, what they choose to discuss (that tends to follow).  There are so many bands and so many albums out there just waiting to be discovered and discussed.  Incidentally, I've discovered a great many excellent ones though polls here (if I see names I don't know, I check out myspace, the band's website, and PA's streaming tracks looking for samples -- I guess I do make time for that, often).
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 16:18
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

Discipline is one of my favorite KC albums, but some fans view it as a attempt to break through to the mainstream.

Well, some fans are PRETTY STUPID!!!AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 18:15
I also am of the opinion that there is little to dislike (or gulp! HATE! such a big bad word! ) That being said Open Your Eyes is YES, a little bit revolting but the title sort of implies that its ..... gulp.... difficult. OK OK Its Bad Confused Gianni Nocenzi of Banco fame had a stinker called Empusa as well as Vince Tempera of Il Volo had one called Temperix. I have both and they are silent . Sono SPORCO!
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 18:30
I'd rather not dislike albums, but unfortunatly occasionaly an album makes it to my stereo that I dislike.

Most notably Yes (Bad Generator, Onion and Close Your Ears)

but generally I only dislike albums from which I love the artist, else I'm not interested in  disliking it.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 19:02
Why the negativity? Why the hate? The only album that I've heard that deserves this kind of bashing is and then there were three. Dont be fooled though, I semi like all the other post hackett Genesis albums until Invisible touch.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 19:22
Put in a vote for Alpha - Asia

Pretty lame album after the awesome debut, and Wetton's lyrics went from poor/mixed to utterly Kinder Downfall.

Edit: Oops, didn't read the first post. My bad. Not really sure what I'd go for.

Edited by TGM: Orb - March 22 2008 at 09:32
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 19:30
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

I just couldn't believe how poor yes 'Open Your Eyes' was when I heard it...Pinch

yeah, that was a mess

Big Generator's not so bad, ATTWT is a very good album as is Tormato, and Discipline is a one of a kind masterpiece.. so I'd have to say Presto

Edited by Atavachron - March 21 2008 at 19:31
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 20:52

Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

This. =)

And there I responded to someone that they may wish to check out Love Beach to see what all the fuss is about. ;)

Yes, I can understand that uberfans of certain bands will want to check out all those albums by their favourite bands that are considered poor.  I'm generally not such a completist.  Merci is poor, did I want it, yes!  I don't have KC's ConstruKtion, but have hard a little and liked it.  Poppish music doesn't bother me at all, and I take it that KC's album is much more than that.  Great review by you... I don't automatically dismiss music because it's generally held in low-regard (and some reviewers and raters have much closer tastes to mine so I'd rather rely on their opinions even though they may be in the minority), but yes, I totally agree with your points.

I wish more people would dig deeper, and re-prioritise what they choose to get, but also as a corollary, what they choose to discuss (that tends to follow).  There are so many bands and so many albums out there just waiting to be discovered and discussed.  Incidentally, I've discovered a great many excellent ones though polls here (if I see names I don't know, I check out myspace, the band's website, and PA's streaming tracks looking for samples -- I guess I do make time for that, often).

I wish for that too. =) The differences in musical experience on the forum are so evident that I've noticed an unbridgeable divide between staunch fans of old music and of the new - often, posters from each clan post in an alternating fashion; It's not disdain but something even more worrying - complete and utter lack of acknowledgement. We should really organize a prog "exchange program" where we get post-rock heads into Gnidrolog and vice-versa... o:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>