Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe "problem" with prog metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 09:16
i dont have problem appreciating from.. say.. Spiral Architect.. to.. say... Close To The Edge (Yes)..

metal IS goooood!!!!!

"love prog .. simply because its beautiful" .. and lindsay lohan =P~
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 09:27
The problem is allowing the metal part to take a higher predominance in the composition. Though listed as Rio/Avant prog band, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum sounds like prog metal should for me. Free form composition garnished with metalesque elements, but focused on producing original sounds instead of cloning a glam rock / heavy metal song with intrincated Kansas / ELP sections.
¡Beware of the Bee!

Eat_Paris View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 09:34
Tongue cant handle too much palm muting and heavy distortion eh? Tongue

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 09:52
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

Prog metal haters just tend to be more outspoken for some
reason.

That reason would be that electronic music is very very experimental (interesting cases at least, like Pansonic, Spacemen 3, etc.), while prog metal is too much into the "metal" sound.

¡Beware of the Bee!

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 09:55
Originally posted by Eat_Paris Eat_Paris wrote:

cant handle too much palm muting and heavy distortion eh? 

¿Have you heard Sleepytime Gorilla Museum?. What I can't take is shape over content. Imitating Heavy metal riffs and adding an orchestra doesn't make it interesting. Using both elements to create a challenging piece of music is.

¡Beware of the Bee!

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 09:57
Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

reason.

That reason would be that electronic music is very very experimental (interesting cases at least, like Pansonic, Spacemen 3, etc.), while prog metal is too much into the "metal" sound.

Not true. But thanks for verifying his statement.Wink
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 10:03

reason.

But if you take out more of the metal bit. It wouldn't be prog metal, would it?
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 10:17
Edit: Ignore this post - the bands I mention are all correctly categorised. :P

I've always thought of metal as its own genre, albeit rooted in rock. There are several key sounds involved and bands like SGM, Fantomas and Estradasphere feature none of them for sustained periods; of course Fantomas have a thing for playing thrash in six second bursts, but they spend far more CD time creating little incidental soundscapes. Their inclusion into the prog-metal genre confuses me, as I see them as avant-garde bands (or avant-fusion in Estradasphere's case) simply using modern musical tools.

Most of the bands from the japanese Zeuhl scene can be heavy but I haven't seen anyone clamoring for their inclusion into prog-metal, and that's because they're heavy but not metallic. Same deal with these new avant-style bands.

PS, I can't stand Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. :P

Edited by laplace - December 23 2006 at 10:25
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 10:18
For me, I haven't found too much metal with a high affinity for great chord progressions. I love a good progression, but a lot of prog metal focuses on Dream Theater-esque jamming, which is good, but not optimal for me. Pain of Salvation is one band that really excells in this area. By the way, if you know of some good bands that fit this description, then tell me please! Smile
Eat_Paris View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 10:20

Originally posted by Eat_Paris Eat_Paris wrote:

cant handle too much palm muting and heavy distortion eh? 

¿Have you heard Sleepytime Gorilla Museum?. What I can't take is shape over content. Imitating Heavy metal riffs and adding an orchestra doesn't make it interesting. Using both elements to create a challenging piece of music is.

Tonguehehe offcourse there is good prog met and the bad ones...Tongue
my point is there is nothing wrong with prog met... symph prog, neo prog, prog met.. they're all prog.... 

progadicto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 10:24
I like some progmetal bands. In fact I'm digging into the math rock stuff and it's good... But I'm not a fan. Maybe it's because I'm a little purist or just becuase that I like more symphonic rock, RIO, avant garde, kraut and stugg like that... But I have to recognize that is a lot of excellent progmetal bands even when I don't like them. And I respect people who likes this stuff...
... E N E L B U N K E R...
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 10:35
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

reason.

Not true. But thanks for verifying his statement.

I'll try to be obviuos. My limitations with english turns explaining myself into a hard task. Anyway; the main thing for me in music is forget about label or genre and follow a truly creative impulse. That's probably why I enjoy "Lateralus" (Tool) as much as I enjoy "Feels" (Animal Collective). I've heard a thousand bands like Angra or Rapsody, but only one Primus. I'm not at all against loud guitars, I'm against meaningless loud guitars. I'm not concerned about the "what", but about the "why" beyond the what.

In appreciation, one must thing in the basic terms of music, but expanded. Meaning, interpretation ("feeling" is as important as execution ("Joe Satriani", virtuoso speed show stuff), but in this days, those terms are far more intrincated, relation between meaning (feeling), materials / elements used to compose; mixtures, etc., provide a multi layered in wich reading can become infinite. Off course, there is also Steve Vai; no layers at all.

Edited by cuncuna - December 23 2006 at 11:00
¡Beware of the Bee!

MajesterX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 11:43

People who don't like it don't like it because either it's too heavy for them to take and they prefer the lighter stuff(for example some older folks), don't like music that's too fast and technical(admittedly, most prog metal is), or they are just snobs too close minded to even give it a try. First two cases I respect, third one not.

Same with Prog Electronic by the way, it's very similar to prog metal in a way, they are both extremes of prog music and about equally disliked. Prog metal haters just tend to be more outspoken for some reason.

I agree. I also think that a lot of Prog Metal draws on modern metal with several 3-6 minute songs with heavy riffing, a guitar solo and chorus, but is played in a more sophisticated way, with a couple 10 minute songs thrown on the album.

I've listened to much of the mp3 metal samples on this site, and I really don't enjoy most of them because they're just not very original, This is why I think bands like DT, Opeth, Tool, POS, and Riverside are at the top.

The songs are always opened with a short spacey drone into heavy riffing, straight riffing, a slow guitar opening into riffing or a cheesy keyboard intro. The songs follow with high to medium range vocals with the occasional growl. Crazy guitar solos with symphonic keys are likely, so it's pretty predictable.

This is normal, but there are several bands that are very original.
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 11:46
I just find that all the prog metal I have ever heard was incredibley cheesy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 11:50
^ I think that the Blair/Bush = Nazi picture in your sig is incredibly cheesy.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 23 2006 at 11:50
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 11:54
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

The only problem I see is that it's too Metal to be really Prog and too Prog to be really Metal, so some musicians get caught in the middle of a loud pompous and guitar virtuoso based  genre and a normally softer but also pompous and virtuoso based genre.

The ego of a Metalhead and a Proghead together, exceed the dimension of any stage.

Iván

As is often the case, I agree with Ivan. It's not a good marriage, imo- too much bombast for the human ear to bear in some bands. There are of course exceptions- I quite like 'Lateralus' by Tool, Mastodon's 'Leviathan' is a good meeting of prog and metal with minimal shredding and Opeth also manage to juggle the two very well. One of the Pain Of Salvation tracks I played on this site I thought was decent, too.

But Dream Theater is the band I REALLY struggle with- I've had half of their discography and I can't come to terms with it. Believe me, I have tried. Even though I gave it 3 stars out of fairness, I found Images and Words a chore to get through when I reviewed it. I don't honestly see what's all that progressive in their music- a lot of metal and AOR, but unless prog is lots of long, long and very fast solos I don't really hear so much prog in their output apart from on 'Scenes From A Memory' and the title track of 'Octavarium', both of which I liked. But how on earth 'Images and Words' is some kind of prog masterpiece completely escapes me personally. I find a lot of their music is jarring and rather unstructured with a song struggling to emerge from the shredding.

Mars Volta I similarly have problems with- it's very screechy and too bombastic even for me, with very little subtlety that I could hear.

I wouldn't say it's a genre that has no merits- like I said, some of it I like, but the genre's flagship band Dream Theater do it no favours at all, imho.
Still, I feel as if I should like it more than I actually do seeing as I love 70s and some 80s metal and prog rock. But in terms of my own personal taste, I do genuinely prefer neo prog.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 11:58
I cant awnser, I like prog metal...quite a lotBig smile
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 12:28
Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

I just find that all the prog metal I have ever heard was incredibley cheesy.

True, but then again prog is cheesy in general.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 12:35
^ good point! It's all a matter of perspective ... to some punk fans any non-punk music may seem cheesy.

IMO those prog metal albums that mainly deal with fantasy - dungeons, dragons, etc - may be called "objectively cheesy", but even then there are some fans who would disagree.

progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 12:39
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ good point! It's all a matter of perspective ... to some punk fans any non-punk music may seem cheesy.IMO those prog metal albums that mainly deal with fantasy - dungeons, dragons, etc - may be called "objectively cheesy", but even then there are some fans who would disagree.

It's not cheesy! Don't you diss my dungeons and dragons!!

I don't really think any prog is cheesy. I try ot get as much prog as possible no matter what the sub genre. There is no problem with prog metal, in my opinion. It is just the older generation *cough* Peter Rideout *cough* like to poke fun at teh seriousness of prog metal listeners.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>