Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour ultimate goose bumps moments in prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 10:50
Echoes by Pink Floyd (the whole song)
The choir moments in Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd
The mellotron finale in Starless by King Crimson (on Red) - probably the most intense goosebumps I've gotten from prog, and it works every time.

"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 10:55
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

Right now its White Hammer by VdGG and well its not prog i know but still, Dont fear the reaper by blue öyster cult.

As you mentioned my beloved BOC (which I've been trying to get in here as Prog-RelatedWink), my personal goosebumps moment from them is the blistering guitar solo in the version of "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" featured on "ET Live". Pure magic!Heart
aprusso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 11:34
.... VDGG, The Sleepwalkers, "if we only had time"...
.... Genesis, Seven Stones, when the mellotron kicks in... sometimes the world
... King Crimson, "Lizard", when after the first part Prince Rupert, "Bolero" starts and classical horn goes jazz...
.... Twelfth Night, We are sane, all of it ....
... Yes Soon, oh soon delight...
.... Osanna, Oro Caldo, when the mellotron concludes the first part... freddo caldo freddo caldo
.... Gentle Giant, Wreck, when the string quartet comes in
.... Banco: Canto Nomade per un Prigioniero Politico: IO.... SONO... NATO.... LIBEROooo.....
.... Soft Machine, Moon in June, all of it when Robert Wyatt sings
.... Peter Hammill live singing if I could without microphone (21-10-1987 Milan)
.... Peter Hammill starts the concert of VDGG I've been waiting for 22 years (11-6-2005 Milan): ANDIAMO!
aprusso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 11:36
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

Right now its White Hammer by VdGG and well its not prog i know but still, Dont fear the reaper by blue öyster cult.

As you mentioned my beloved BOC (which I've been trying to get in here as Prog-RelatedWink), my personal goosebumps moment from them is the blistering guitar solo in the version of "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" featured on "ET Live". Pure magic!Heart

AAAAH here's a friend of mine!!!!!! and what about the sighs behind your shoulders in Joan Crawford .... christinaaaaaaa......
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 11:59
Interesting discussion, here are few of my favourite ones:)

YES: maybe the ultimate one - Gates of Delirium (transition from "the battle" to "Soon"), Close to the Edge (Jon's final "I get up I get down"), Endless Dream (Jon's extemely high pitched voice and following Trevor's final solo)
RUSH: Jacob's Ladder (spacey middle section, especially version on Exit.. Stage left), cresendo of La Villa Strangiato (also Exit..Stage left)
ARENA: majsetic ending of Solomon, Riding the Tide - Mea Culpa
STEVE HACKETT: final section of Jacuzzi,  heavy - acoustic transition in Tigermoth
PORCUPINE TREE: climax of Gravity Eyelids and Russia on Ice
TRANSATLANTIC: All of Above finale, My New World final transition from instrumental section - refrain
OPETH: Hours of Wealth piano gradation, Windowpane mellotron finale
CAMEL: Nimrodel - change from the beginning to guitar - oboe solo, Air Born
PRESTO BALLET: finale of The Fringes, gorgeous melody in Bringin' it On
PAIN OF SALVATION: the finale of Be - melody originally taken from Imago

Edited by stewe - February 17 2007 at 12:35
zvinki View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 12:44
Tool's 10,0000 Days Wings For Marie Part 2 when Maynard sings "Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the holy father ..." right into the guitar crescendo.

Tool's Push*t in the middle when the guitar "solo" comes in.

Rush's 2112 the last guitar solo and into Geddy's "My spirits are low in the depths of despair, my lifeblood spill over"/

taylanbil View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 12:45
- Lots of Pink Floyd stuff (almost the entire DSOTM, Comfortably Numb final guitar solo, The Trial, etc.)... Not to mention Roger's scream in Careful With That Axe, Eugene...
- Finale on Lady Fantasy, from Camel, and also the solo on the studio version of Never Let Go
- Ending of King Crimson's Starless, as well as Prelude: Song of the Gulls
- Many passages from Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick, and the intro of Sossity; You're a Woman
- The brilliant Firth of Fifth, especially the ending
- The intro of Anglagard's Jordrok
- Of course, the "Soon" section of Gates of Delirium
- ELP's Take a Pebble
- The first 5 minutes of Eloy's Poseidon's Creation, and many other passages of the "Ocean" album
- Final two minutes of This Heart Of Mine, from Pain of Salvation
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 14:19
"this feeling, inside me, finally found my life I'm finally free...no longer , torn in two, I learned about my life by living through you....

this feeling insime me, finally found my life, I'm finally free
no longer, torn in two, living my own life by living through you

we'll meet again my friend.... someday soon...." (instrumental climax)CryCry (tears of joy)

That is enought to give me a lot of goose bumps... there a re a few more, mostly reserved for classical music (the "gilt es nicht" cymbal in the climax of the Adagio in Bruckner's Seventh a quick example), but in prog, as well as the one I just quoted, I could remember the finale in Leonardo (Amore Sol).... Roads of Thunder in Shadow Gallery's Tyranny.... the moment Steve Hackett plays the melody the flute played at the beginning of the instrumental part in Firth of Fifth (so incredible, so incredible...Cry), the arrival of the last chorus in TFK's "In the eyes of the world".... The magnificent guitar solo in "learing to Live" by the same guys that play the song I just quoted.... Big%20smileCry... wait, there are a few after all..... Smile
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 14:22
I agree with The T about Finally Free.
Also, Hoppipolla by  Sigur Ros and Pyramid Song by Radiohead are just beautifully chilling throughout. Add "House With No Door" to that list.
And of course, first minute or so of "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight"
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 14:27
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

first of all: I never get any goose bumps. to get goose bumps first of all you have to have hair, and Friede and I painstakingly removed any trace of it from us permanently.

jajajajajajajaLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL...classic baldie

mmm, I must tell you that Ayreon´s The human equation is a carnaval of goose bumps for me...
Awaken, when the guitar drops in and plays that wonderful riff...heaven
The carpet crawler...enough said
10,000 days gives me some goose bumps when I am in the right mood

...and then there is the Soon part in Gates of delirium...thats beyond goose bumps...

Edited by el böthy - February 17 2007 at 14:28
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 14:53
"There's an angel standing in the sun, and he's crying in a loud voice, this is the supper of the mighty one. God of Gods, king of kings, has returned to bring his children home, to take them to the new Jerusalem."

Also, that part towards the end of "Heart of the Sunrise" by Yes
And the guitar solo in "Firth of Fifth" by Genesis
And the outro of "Starless" by King Crimson
And the xialaphone on "Shadow of the Hierophant" by Steve Hackett
And the end of "The Gates of the Delirium" by Yes
And towards the end, when they play the opening flute line in "Histoires sans paroles" by Harmonium
And the opening of the second "Hut of Baba Yaga" by ELP is astounding
And the transition from "The Talking Drum" into "Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part Two" is always fantastic.
And the very very end of Thick as a Brick Part 2

But Supper's Ready is always number one

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 14:55
If there's a band that has given me the most goose bumps by listening to their music it has to be Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I'm a fanboy after all. Embarrassed

I don't feel like making a list at this moment, but I pretty much agree with most of the choices mentioned from bands I know of.

Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 14:56
And don't forget the abrupt mood change in VDGG's "Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" towards the end. 
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 15:08

After more than 50 posts there is much more variety and remarkable, ELP is the least acclaimed symphonic rock dinosaur in this thread and I also miss Gentle Giant. Hackett in Genesis and solo is very popular in this thread Clap

Good to see Eloy and Novalis mentioned Thumbs%20Up

Just one more personal goose bumps moment: the violin solo in the final part of Out Of The Blue on the album Viva by Roxy Music, the best Eddie Jobson ever played Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 17 2007 at 15:11
Marwin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 15:18
Yes: Heart Of sunrise, Close to the edge, Awaken
Genesis: Dancing with the moonlit knight, Musical box
The Gathering: In Motion #1
Mars Volta: Meccamputecture, Cassandra Gemini
Camel: Lady Fantasy, White Rider, Lunar Sea
King Crimson: 21Century, In the court of the crimson king

etc.

andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 15:55
Great thread, Erik!

When I hear this stuff, I can't sit, but if I move around I feel the need to lay dawn and crouch... can't explain it better.

YES - "Relayer" - somewhere around minute 12 of "Gates of Delirium", when White's    thunderous drums come to close in glory the climatic build-up. I don't know the name of the respective sections.
 - "Siberian Khatru" - the moment when Wakeman's keyboards go "harpsichord" (as I said somewhere else, one of my greatest eargasms), followed then by the guitar notes

Pink Floyd - "Interstellar Overdrive" - the moment when the main riff comes back at the end of the jam
 - practically every build-up start for "Echoes" is great. In the "Live at Pompeii" movie, from 9:00 to 10:00 there is a fabulous rhythmic interplay between drums and guitar, just after a growing guitar solo. The hair on my back stands! Then come 15 seconds of "silence" controlled by the bass line, making way for Gilmour to start making his guitar scream. Eargasm! Another climatic moment that sends shiver to my spine is the major, final come-back after the final, growing jam section. In the movie, it's at 7:20 minutes before the end. Mindblowing!

King Crimson - easy one, the "Starless" outro! Masterpiece of goose bumps.

Nektar - "A Tab in the Ocean" and "Desolation Valley" hold many Floydian climatic moments; excellent tracks! However my favourite is the "happy" intro (the first minutes) of side one on "Remember the Future". It seems to require dancing from my body! (which is of course something I can't provide).

and many, many more.
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 18:36
Thanks Andu and great call with Interstellar Overdrive by Pink Floyd Thumbs%20Up I was a 70-79 Pink Floyd fan until a Sixties freak let me listen to The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, I was blown away, what an excellent progressive blend of pop, rock and psychedelia. The composition Interstellar Overdrive (also on video/DVD) has a very exciting guitar riff, then Syd starts with his mindblowing guitar work, so innovative and hypnotizing, when it tends to sound too freaky he returns to his great riff and the band explodes, GOOSE BUMPS, one of the highlights in the psychedelic era Clap 
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 18:48
- PFM's "Dove...quando, part I" intro
- Those bells near the end of "Supper's ready" (Genesis)
- Bacamarte's UFO transition from the fingerstyled guitar to the symphonic part
- Symphony X's "Candlelight fantasia" first minute
- The entire solo part of Reale Accademia Di Musica's "Il mattino"
- The poignant vocal in the middle section of "Bubulina" per La Máquina De Hacer Pájaros
- Proto-Kaw's "Axolotl", the entire song
- Novalis' "Flossenengel", the entire song

and some others... Smile

Guigo

~~~~~~
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 21:50
there are too many...

the best one is devil doll's sacriledge fatal arms @ 22:30: the crowd reaction after the hitlerian speech! TURN UP THE VOLUME!

triumvirat - spartacus (2nd part)
roger waters - what god wants pt3: jeff beck's 2nd solo, followed by "christ it's freezin' inside..."
anyone's daughter's adonis' finale: the last guitar solo!
eddie jobson : memories of vienna
supertramp -
tangerine dream: the 8:00 guitar solo on quichotte pt2; alchemy of the heart; clare torry's voice on yellowstone park
vangelis - mask, 1492 eternity, oracle of appollo
genesis - time table; harlequin; ripples; mellotron on entangled; burning rope (when the sound reaches an atmospheric climax), blood on the rooftops; 1 for the vine;
RDM-the church organ part on contamination
banco - the progression of "traccia 2"
arena - crying for help 4
camel - eye of the storm; beached;
kayak - patricia anglaia
pat metheny - the progression of the floating streams of lyle mays' keyboards plus the kids voices near  the end; antonia; first circle;
lyle mays: his first album is pure bliss, especially slinko & close to home!
FZ: the waltz bit on REDUNZL (redunzl)
pallas - many keyboards bits on sentinel
ABWH - quartet!
hecenia - l'empreinte d'uranus (the last minute): i want this track for my marriage!
steve hackett's solo on every day, spectral mornings & the steppes; serpentine song: the alternance of flute-sax near the end: TOTAL BLISS!
rush - the instrumental prog performance on circumstances; the finale of subdivisions, after lee's last words; marathon guit solo; intro on before and after
many clepsydra bits
IQ - speak my name; other side; high waters; the finale on common ground; capricorn; the ear candy bit on tunnel vision; 2nd part of sleepless incidental; the last minutes (acoustic) on narrow margin (...provider, are you inside or am i? ); shooting angels; wrong side of weird, after "....i ripped away all of the soul they've repaired"
marillion - jigsaw guit solo; brave; blind curve; warm wet circles; the end of white russian (we buy fresh bagels from the corner store...);
tony phillips: geese fly west; many 1984 parts;
mike oldfield: tons of passages on amarok, when wind chimes, QE2,  airborn
jade warrior - kites: the bombastic violins on side 2!
anything from amethystium
harmonium - many bits on 5e saison
suzanne ciani - 7th wave
rick wakeman - no earthly connection; criminal record
many many goose bumps from jon & vangelis, especially mayflower, polonaise, italian song, beside; outside of this.
iron maiden - prodigal son
shadow gallery - tyranny
symphony X - accolade & divine wings of tragedy
dream theater - wait for sleep

non prog:

ennio morricone: the spaghetti western soundtracks, especially the cemetery scene of good, bad & ugly!  MORRICONE 's DA BEST FOR GOOSE BUMPS!
jane siberry - calling all the angels
genesis: just a job to do (..."and no one answers the telephone"...)

asia - midnite sun

art of noise - moments in love

van halen - eruption;

saga - the flyer

simple minds - many bits on the street fighting years album

tears for fears - advice for the young at heart

spandau ballet - true & gold

etc...

[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
blaughida View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2007 at 01:09
I seem to agree with a lot of what has been said above...

Originally posted by lightbulb_son lightbulb_son wrote:

Caravan - The piano section as well as the "So we'll sail away for just one day" section of In the Land of Grey and Pink.
Camel - When the entire band comes in on "Rhayader".
Alright, there are a ton more, but I'm just gonna stop there. Hooray for wonderful music!

That part of "In the Land of Grey and Pink" is what made me fall in love with the song.  It's incredible.

And I agree about "Rhayader."  The song is great, and then it gets so much better at the moment where the entireband comes in.

Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

The entirety of Van der Graaf Generator's "Refugees", especially the "Toooooooooooooo theeeeeeeeeeee west!" part.

This is one for me, too.  Another (going prog-related here) is the "there's a feeling I get/when I look to the west" line of Stairway to Heaven.  Perhaps the term "west" has some sort of special significance for me.

Also, a major one for me is: "They eat without a sound/digesting England by the pound."  A lot of "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" gives me 'goosebumps'.  I get them a lot at the beginning and even more after Gabriel delivers that line.  They return somewhat in "fat old lady" section, at the first mellotron flourish (probably a bad word to describe it) before the lyrics start up again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>