Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAfter Forever - where to start?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: After Forever - where to start?
    Posted: March 25 2007 at 12:38
For all these bands it really depends on the album ... early Blind Guardian isn't prog, that's obvious. Nightfall on the other hand is, at least in my book.

For After Forever it's similar ... I would only call Invisible Circles 100% Prog. Technically this is enough to include the artist (one full album), but inclusions based on only one album will most likely face heavy opposition because people who aren't really familiar with the discography will often argue on the basis of other albums.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2007 at 11:59
Hmmm. Don't know Avantasia, and I don't really like (older) Blind Guardian, but I see where your problem is.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2007 at 10:36
There are several somewhat similar bands pending addition:

Avantasia
Blind Guardian
Epica
After Forever

The funny thing is that most team members and other collabs have a different opinion on them ... one says that Blind Guardian are absolutely prog, but Avantasia aren't ... another one would add Avantasia, but not Blind Guardian ... and so on and so on.

BTW: This is not the fault of the PMT in my opinion ... it lies in the nature of the prog related definition and the generally undecided question whether Orchestral Power Metal bands are prog, and if so what are the criteria.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2007 at 10:26
Got it. Maybe the spark is needed once more to settle the issue (but I don't care a lot about whether or not they are included, it's no prerequisite for enjoying them) - thanks for the update.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2007 at 10:07
I don't know ... I'm all for adding them, but there is no real consensus in the team (I'm not betraying any secrets here, it's very obvious considering the votes). I think that those in favor of the addition aren't considering the addition a priority, and those who are in favor of rejecting the bands don't feel an urge to settle the discussion as long as the others don't do anything.

Of course these additions would spark discussion about the whole "Prog Power Metal" genre again ... I think that this is what's causing the delay.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2007 at 09:49
Got it. And now that I think of it: how's the decision on including After Forever and Epica coming along? I noticed on your site that Within Temptation was rejected - for obvious reaons I guess, but the other two were 'to be decided' when I last checked.
ISKC Rock Radio
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2007 at 09:43
Remagine is less progressive ... I'd call it "Orchestral Power Metal". A decent album and I enjoy listening to it, but from a prog standpoint Invisible Circles is much more rewarding ... it's a concept album and much more "quirky". Their new album ... I don't know it yet, but they recorded it with a 60 piece orchestra, so I guess it will be very symphonic/orchestral, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be prog.

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2007 at 09:18
Thnx. Any info on what makes the difference between these two albums, and what to expect from the new one?

Edited by Angelo - March 25 2007 at 09:19
ISKC Rock Radio
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2007 at 09:00
You should not start with "Remagine", their last album ... I would recommend their 2004 album "Invisible Circles" instead. They'll also release their new album in a few weeks.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2007 at 06:57
Plain and simple, as stated in the subject. What do you recommend?
ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply