FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFair To Midland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fair To Midland
    Posted: June 16 2007 at 14:46
Just wonder if there are any fans or people interested in checking them out. Their new disc has been in constant play for me since it leaked.,.and really their band since early in the year.

Anyway, here's a bit of info on them.

Bio:

Depending on who's counting, there are anywhere from 100 to n-frigging-thousand subgenres of rock music a band can slide into for easy categorization. And depending on where you drop the laser on Fair to Midland's Universal Republic/Serjical Strike debut album, Fables From a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times is True, at least half of those subgenres are being reinvented at once. But to call this Dallas quintet (who, ironically, get their name from an old Texan play on the phrase "fair to middling") merely eclectic is to sell them way short. No, Fair to Midland are masters of fusing those subgenres into something that's cohesive, intensely focused, and in a bold new category all its own.

Recorded with art-rock super-producer David Bottrill (Tool, Muse, Peter Gabriel), Fables From a Mayfly finds Fair to Midland stretching out even further into the aggression and atmospherics at their core while taking their inherent gift for melody to new levels. Tracks such as "Kyla Cries Cologne," "April Fools and Eggmen," and the gripping first single, "Dance of the Manatee" (which is already climbing the Active Rock and Alternative Radio charts), showcase Fair to Midland's flair for combining progged-out virtuosity with lead-heavy riffs, dynamic tidal waves, and frontman Darroh Sudderth's operatic vocals. Even when the volume lets up�as in the softer, spacier folds of "The Wife, The Kids, and the White Picket Fence" and "Say When"�Fair to Midland create sonic tidal waves big enough to level arenas. As the Dallas Morning News described it, "Fair to Midland not only delivers heady, poetic, powerful and often fascinating hard music; they deliver it live with the gumption of a marauding pack of tribal warriors."

Founded in 1998 in the quiet farm town of Sulphur Springs, Texas, Fair to Midland quickly became one of the Lone Star State's fastest-rising musical forces, earning critical acclaim for their first two independent releases, 2001's The Carbon Copy Silver Lining EP and the 2004 album inter.funda.stifle, despite being completely under-the-radar. But with a growing buzz and a trail of blown minds behind them, Fair to Midland naturally found themselves looking for a label that could respect their DIY roots, while giving them the means to take their sound to the grand new level it demanded. Enter System of a Down frontman Serj Tankian, who, after being blown away by one of the band's live performances in April of 2006, signed Fair to Midland to his Serjical Strike label and that Fall released the band's first "official" recording: The Drawn and Quartered E.P. "It's not often that one comes across bands that are truly original, poetic, progressive, artsy and memorable, compounded by a killer live performance," Tankian says of his prot�g�s. "Fair to Midland is such a band."

As Fair to Midland began playing out in support of the EP, audiences and press alike both seconded Tankian's reaction, with Ink 19 magazine noting, "Vocalist Darroh Sudderth transforms from a timid frontman to a spasmatic burst of flailing arms and uninhibited vocal explosions that make him one of the most courageous singers in rock music!"  A sold-out winter 2007 tour with Japanese art-metal legends Dir en grey, followed by a superbly-received performance at the annual SXSW music fest in March, further primed audiences for more from the band.  With Fables From a Mayfly, Fair to Midland have truly delivered, capturing the kinetic energy of their live show while harnessing the array of influences that make them impossible to pigeonhole. "For the most part, our musical tastes are completely different," says Sudderth, who rounds out the band with guitarist Cliff Campbell, drummer Brett Stowers, bassist Jon Dicken, and keyboardist/electronics manipulator Matt Langley. "We've just gotten better at listening to each other over the years. All of our songs are just us trying to find a happy medium between what everyone in the band listens to�and I think that actually being able to do that is what makes us so different from a lot of other 'rock' bands today."

With a spring tour supporting Flyleaf leading up to Fables' release and a summer's worth of festivals�from Coachella to Bamboozle to twin German mega-fests Rock Am Ring and Rock Im park, plus the legendary Download festival in the UK that has them sharing stages with My Chemical Romance, Linkin Park and Iron Maiden�Fair to Midland are poised to turn not just prog, but rock music, period, on its ear in 2007. "It's definitely been a strange ride, going from being this completely DIY, underground thing to being part of a bigger label," Sudderth explains. "It's like we can finally step back and evaluate where we're going with this music without having to worry about, 'How are we gonna get people to hear it?'" Indeed, getting heard may be half the battle; but when you look across the rock landscape�from the postmodern prog rock of the Mars Volta and Tool to the chart-topping success of Serj Tankian's own boundary-smashing art-metal powerhouse�it's easier than ever to imagine Fair to Midland carving out their own plot of land amid these giants.

http://myspace.com/fairtomidland
http://fairtomidland.com

http://last.fm/user/SoundscapeMN
http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2007 at 14:50
It all sounded interesting right up until this: "combining progged-out virtuosity with lead-heavy riffs,".

WOW What a novel idea!

Ugggh! Who needs more of that.

Edited by Trademark - June 16 2007 at 14:50
ebag7125 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2007 at 14:51
Interesting band Thumbs%20Up
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2007 at 19:30

not to dismiss them outright, but....

Wink

Actually they're not half bad, but not half good either.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2007 at 00:47
^

Love that pic.   

Edited by Trademark - June 17 2007 at 00:48
fungusucantkill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2007 at 14:47
Ah. i'm not sure if its me or what.
I just watched an hour of "T-minus rock" on MTV. It hurt. I'm cold.
Nothing is original anymore. Nothing is new and ground breaking. And what kinda frustrates me is that they think its a well rounded contribution to music as we know it.
i don't know. but its all the same. and its a shame that the "same thing" just so happens to be well....not that great
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2007 at 17:00
^ Well, if you're looking to MTV to give you something groundbreaking, you're barking up the wrong damn tree.  That's why we have sites like this, so we have other sources... in fact the best sort of source: peer recommendation, not what the record companies are pushing to sell records.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
SoundscapeMN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 22:25
well it's your loss if you don't even listen to them. Whether HOW ORIGINAL THEY ARE..I mean is nearly impossible to find a band who is highly groundbreaking anyway. But to me, they have something that a lot of other bands do not. including (especially) all the derivative "Prog" bands that places like this worship to no end that is highly baffling.

Edited by SoundscapeMN - June 18 2007 at 22:27

http://last.fm/user/SoundscapeMN
http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2007 at 16:01
Good band. They're going to be big .
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2007 at 16:16
Originally posted by SoundscapeMN SoundscapeMN wrote:

well it's your loss if you don't even listen to them. Whether HOW ORIGINAL THEY ARE..I mean is nearly impossible to find a band who is highly groundbreaking anyway. But to me, they have something that a lot of other bands do not. including (especially) all the derivative "Prog" bands that places like this worship to no end that is highly baffling.

Dude...if you don't like prog why are you here?The utter contempt you display for this site is quite irritating.

I myself love all kinds of music,and as far as prog goes I love the classic stuff,all the newer bands that are coming out,andeverything in between.But you have to understand that not everyone here is like that.

soundsweird View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 01:39
I just listened to a free sampler EP I picked up at a record store; it's called "Something Borrowed: A Collection of Demos".  Wow....one minute I hear Tool mixed with Yes then REM then Mars Volta then......   I'm not into anything that approaches metal, but they're interesting.  Or maybe they're trying to be everything to everybody. Anyway, I'm not sure the melding of styles works, because the individual styles haven't been blended together, just mixed in with each other.   
 Post Reply Post Reply