Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour two favourite Jane Siberry albums?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What are your two favourite albums?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [25.00%]
2 [25.00%]
2 [25.00%]
2 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your two favourite Jane Siberry albums?
    Posted: July 25 2007 at 06:01
This is how they lable Jane Siberry: art pop, experimental, jazz, folk-jazz, celtic, avant garde. For me her music is pure emotion. My favourite albums are The Walking and When I Was A Boy.

Jane Siberry has made duets with K.D.Lang. They both have great personal voice but i think Jane sings better. How i wish a prog band had singer like Jane one of these days. It would be epic. Wink

Edited by meinmatrix - July 25 2007 at 06:02
Politician View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 11:59
"The Speckless Sky" is by far my favourite, with "The Walking" second. I like her later work, but don't find it quite as appealing. "The Speckless Say" is fully of truly joyous, uplifting melodies (especially the delightful "One More Colour" and "Map Of The World"), but with an underlying darkness and visceral intelligence.
meinmatrix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 10:53
Originally posted by Politician Politician wrote:

"The Speckless Sky" is by far my favourite, with "The Walking" second. I like her later work, but don't find it quite as appealing. "The Speckless Say" is fully of truly joyous, uplifting melodies (especially the delightful "One More Colour" and "Map Of The World"), but with an underlying darkness and visceral intelligence.

Sir, i must agree with you. The late 1980's was a transformation years for me from moving to traditional vinyl albums to cd's with extended 80 minutes capabilities. Well, Speckless and also Beauty are both albums that actually gave me orgasmic feelings... I am a heterosexual male, in my almost 40s, but i do remember those youthful days of pure sensation and wonder. Long live Queen Sweet Jane, will love you always! Clap

soundsweird View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 22:57

I'd give her self-titled debut 4 stars; it has four great tracks, about half of the album's running time.  It has a different sound, folkier but with a full band.

I'd give "No Borders Here" 2 1/2 stars. First one I owned; "You Don't Need" is good.

I'd give "Speckless Sky" 2 1/2 stars. Marred by 80's production, but "Taxi Ride"'s good.

I'd give "The Walking" 3 stars (I have 2 versions; the Canadian CD has longer versions of the title song and one other track, and is worth it).  Love "The Lobby" and the title track.

I'd give "Bound by the Beauty" 4 stars. I like a lot of the songs.

I'd give "When I Was a Boy" 4 stars. I like several tracks.

I'd give "Maria" 2 1/2 stars. It has a few good tracks, but the jazzy approach doesn't work that often.

I'd give "Teenager" 2 stars; there are a couple of good tracks.

I'd give "Child" (actually, my version is a 4-CD live box set called "New York Trilogy" that I got at one of her shows; "Child" is 2 CD's, "Lips" is 1 CD, "Tree" is 1 CD) 2 1/2 stars.  It has a lot of gospel and Christmas stuff on it, but there's some good stuff, too.  Unfortunately, it's widely scattered over all 4 discs.

I'd give "City" (compilation of stuff that appears on others' albums and soundtracks) 3 1/2 stars. Quite a few gems.

I didn't like "Hush" or "Shushan the Palace" much. Just not my cup of tea.

I have a VHS compilation of her videos (bought at one of her shows); it's good.  

meinmatrix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 03:15
Originally posted by soundsweird soundsweird wrote:

I'd give her self-titled debut 4 stars; it has four great tracks, about half of the album's running time.  It has a different sound, folkier but with a full band.

I'd give "No Borders Here" 2 1/2 stars. First one I owned; "You Don't Need" is good.

I'd give "Speckless Sky" 2 1/2 stars. Marred by 80's production, but "Taxi Ride"'s good.

I'd give "The Walking" 3 stars (I have 2 versions; the Canadian CD has longer versions of the title song and one other track, and is worth it).  Love "The Lobby" and the title track.

I'd give "Bound by the Beauty" 4 stars. I like a lot of the songs.

I'd give "When I Was a Boy" 4 stars. I like several tracks.

I'd give "Maria" 2 1/2 stars. It has a few good tracks, but the jazzy approach doesn't work that often.

I'd give "Teenager" 2 stars; there are a couple of good tracks.

I'd give "Child" (actually, my version is a 4-CD live box set called "New York Trilogy" that I got at one of her shows; "Child" is 2 CD's, "Lips" is 1 CD, "Tree" is 1 CD) 2 1/2 stars.  It has a lot of gospel and Christmas stuff on it, but there's some good stuff, too.  Unfortunately, it's widely scattered over all 4 discs.

I'd give "City" (compilation of stuff that appears on others' albums and soundtracks) 3 1/2 stars. Quite a few gems.

I didn't like "Hush" or "Shushan the Palace" much. Just not my cup of tea.

I have a VHS compilation of her videos (bought at one of her shows); it's good.  

Everyone says The Walking is her masterpiece. But i think that listener must be in a certain mood to like all of the songs in this album.

I had Bound By The Beauty as vinyl album and i loved the music and feel very much. This album has some of Jane Siberry songs that put instant smile on my face and i remember them by heart. I think i need to get this back in my collection as a cd. Currently i have only The Walking and When I Was A Boy as a cd because i sold all of my vinyls years ago.

I heard Jane Siberry has changed her artist name and today i find it a little hard to follow her career in music. Anybody know where to get her new albums and are they worth listening in the first place?

Post Reply Post Reply