Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe proper category for Rush ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 11:52
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

No

I'm saying that Rush insnt like Yes, because Yes only had ONE signal (which they didnt even mean to make), then turned they're back on radio. While Rush always sticked with radio, therefore not as "hardcore prog" as Yes.
Uhhhm, Have you ever listened to 90125 or Big Generator?  Granted, they're not fully pop, but they are clearly more "radio-friendly", to use that term that these fools have been using,  than anything Rush ever put out. I mean, it's not even close.  "Rhythm of Love" is just terrible.  And don't say it wasn;t intentional.  That's not even naive.  That's stupid.  Go listen to "In the city of Angels".  There was clear intent in their eighties stuff.
[signature]
White Shadow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 15:14
Originally posted by dethics dethics wrote:

They should've just left it at Art Rock seriously....Dead
Amen
[signature]
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 15:45
I think it's impossible to keep everybody satisfied with a category for Rush, simply because they turned into a musical chameleon after their first album. I have followed Rush since 2112, in my opinion chronically they made Progressive Hardrock, Heavy Progressive, Art-rock, Eclectic Rock and Progressive Melodic Rock, good luck to everybody with the discussion, even the notorious Mr. Johan Opinion Cruijff would be too confused to give his opinion about The proper category for Rush Wink !

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 24 2007 at 15:48
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 15:49
Zheul.
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 15:49
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

I think it's impossible to keep everybody satisfied with a category for Rush, simply because they turned into a musical chameleon after their first album. I have followed Rush since 2112, in my opinion chronically they made Progressive Hardrock, Heavy Progressive, Art-rock, Eclectic Rock and Progressive Melodic Rock Wacko, good luck with everybody with the discussion Wink

The band's evolution in itself, as you so rightly displayed it, is justification enough for the Eclectic Rock category.

Again, the quote from the eclectic prog definition : "Eclectic Prog combines hybrids of style and diversity of theme, promoting many elements from different sources. The Eclectic category recognizes bands that evolved markedly over their career (in a progressive, evolutionary way), or have a plural style without a clear referential core."

I think it couldn't be clearer than that.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 15:52
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

I think it's impossible to keep everybody satisfied with a category for Rush, simply because they turned into a musical chameleon after their first album. I have followed Rush since 2112, in my opinion chronically they made Progressive Hardrock, Heavy Progressive, Art-rock, Eclectic Rock and Progressive Melodic Rock, good luck to everybody with the discussion, even King Salomon would be too confused to give his ordeal Wink !

Five clappies for you!
ClapClapClapClapClap

In a way, I wish more bands would do this. It really takes great talent to change your music writing style and maintain interest. Rush certainly has succeeded there.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 15:54
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Zheul.
Rush would probably pwn that one too.
What?
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 16:03
Well, StyLaZen, I have always had much respect for Rush but I have to admit that since Presto, their sound couldn't keep my attention. But every concert still remains a great musical experience, so was the splendid R30 tour (although I desperately needed two earplugs Ouch ), the DVD is awesome Clap and I also love to watch the enthousiasm of the Brasilian crowd during Live In Rio (not to forget to mention the excotic beauties that were caught in the camera eye Wink ).

More Rush:

October 1, 2004
Ahoy Sportpaleis - Rotterdam, Holland
Photographs by Franky Bruyneel

Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 24 2007 at 16:03
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 17:35
Let's put Genesis in ecclectic prog too. After all, they changed style over the course of their existence.

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 17:48
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

Let's put Genesis in ecclectic prog too. After all, they changed style over the course of their existence.

I agree.  They went from Symphonic prog to neo-prog to pop-prog.  That's change enough for me !
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 17:58
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

I agree.  They went from Symphonic prog to neo-prog to pop-prog.  That's change enough for me !

Well, my comment was actually meant to be sarcastic. LOL

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
Kid-A View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 19:37
I don't know if Rush fits in any category, so art rock is the right one, that seems to be the 'misfit' category. Anyway who really cares how a band is categorised? They make great music thats enough for me, a genres just a name.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 19:38

Oh, you're a hoot, Bern.

Wait...you are right!  Genesis did also morph.
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 20:55
Rush should be categorized as brilliant except their last three albums they should be categorized as hit and miss Smile
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 21:03
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Zheul.
Rush would probably pwn that one too.

We could change its name to Zheul (Previously run by Magma)
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 22:13
All I know is, Rush belongs in awesome prog.  Clap
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 22:16
Heavy, man
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 23:30
Originally posted by Kid-A Kid-A wrote:

I don't know if Rush fits in any category, so art rock is the right one, that seems to be the 'misfit' category.

Art Rock.. now you're just making stuff up; there's no such thing!

Edited by Sckxyss - August 24 2007 at 23:31
Kid-A View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 07:26
OMG they actually changed the name to eclectic prog and crossover prog in the front page! Didn't realize that. Makes much more sense this way though.

Edited by Kid-A - August 25 2007 at 07:33
White Shadow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 09:25

Originally posted by White Shadow White Shadow wrote:

No

I'm saying that Rush insnt like Yes, because Yes only had ONE signal (which they didnt even mean to make), then turned they're back on radio. While Rush always sticked with radio, therefore not as "hardcore prog" as Yes.
Uhhhm, Have you ever listened to 90125 or Big Generator?  Granted, they're not fully pop, but they are clearly more "radio-friendly", to use that term that these fools have been using,  than anything Rush ever put out. I mean, it's not even close.  "Rhythm of Love" is just terrible.  And don't say it wasn;t intentional.  That's not even naive.  That's stupid.  Go listen to "In the city of Angels".  There was clear intent in their eighties stuff.

Read my other posts...

This is getting annoying, 90125 and he classic Yes period are on the oppositer ends of the musical cosmos, so shut up, and READ ALL MY POSTS BEFORE TRYING TO FOOLISHLY CONTRADICT MEAngry
I read your other posts and I don't see why that would change what I said at all.  You say that Rush was always radio-friendly and then name a bunch of singles that they released, the majority of which weren't hits by the way, and that's supposed proove that their radio-friendly?  What band doesn't release singles? Holy sh*t, you know what , you're right, Rush sold out with "passage to Bangkok".  I see it now, they're not as progressive now because they released a single.  It all makes sense.  On top of that, after you name a bunch of singles that weren't hits you try to discredit someone that said Starship trooper was a hit by saying it "barely" broke the top 40.  That's way more than half the ones you mentioned did.  And what the hell do you mean by yes 80s is on the opposite side of the cosmos from 70s yes?  What difference does that make.  I could make the same comment about Rush.  I don't believe "Subdivisions" sounds anything like "The Necromancer" or "2112" but thats ok you can just excuse Yes for putting out popular material by saying that they were different in the 80's when no band stays the same over the years.  Yes has just as many hits as Rush.  "Roundabout", the aforementioned "Starship Trooper", "I've Seen All Good People", "Don't Kill the Whale", "Owner of a lonely Heart", "Rhythm of Love" are all hits.  Notice I only mentioned the hits and not just singles they released.  And lastly, why would it be foolish to contradict you?  What an ahole.  And I've read some other posts too by you.  You're just a jerk in general.  You're one of those people who measure a band's progressiveness based on how much they're on the radio and that's sad.  Why don't you lighten up and just listen to music for what it is and not how popular it is?
[signature]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>