Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe proper category for Rush ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 09:39
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Zheul.

Not a bad idea actually... It could potentially increase the number of Magma fans.

It's spelled Zeuhl though.Wink
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 09:43
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

No

I'm saying that Rush insnt like Yes, because Yes only had ONE signal* (which they didnt even mean to make), then turned they're back on radio**. While Rush always sticked with radio, therefore not as "hardcore prog" as Yes.

*Whereas Rush had a whole album signal.

**As soon as you turn around, they are back on that damn radio!

Why does a band have to eschew radio play to be considered more progressive?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 09:46
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Zheul.

Not a bad idea actually... It could potentially increase the number of Magma fans.

It's spelled Zeuhl though.Wink

You're thinking of Zeuhl, I'm talking about Zheul.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 10:09

You're thinking of Zeuhl, I'm talking about Zheul.

Ah, sorry. Yeah, I think Zheul is an even better fit for Rush than Zeuhl.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 10:14
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

I think it's impossible to keep everybody satisfied with a category for Rush, simply because they turned into a musical chameleon after their first album. I have followed Rush since 2112, in my opinion chronically they made Progressive Hardrock, Heavy Progressive, Art-rock, Eclectic Rock and Progressive Melodic Rock Wacko, good luck with everybody with the discussion Wink

The band's evolution in itself, as you so rightly displayed it, is justification enough for the Eclectic Rock category.

Again, the quote from the eclectic prog definition : "Eclectic Prog combines hybrids of style and diversity of theme, promoting many elements from different sources. The Eclectic category recognizes bands that evolved markedly over their career (in a progressive, evolutionary way), or have a plural style without a clear referential core."

I think it couldn't be clearer than that.

Thumbs%20Up
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 10:17
Originally posted by Kid-A Kid-A wrote:

OMG they actually changed the name to eclectic prog and crossover prog in the front page! Didn't realize that. Makes much more sense this way though.

Are you saying that you participate in a discussion, without even knowing what it is about?? Shocked
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 14:18
Originally posted by White Shadow White Shadow wrote:

No

I'm saying that Rush insnt like Yes, because Yes only had ONE signal (which they didnt even mean to make), then turned they're back on radio. While Rush always sticked with radio, therefore not as "hardcore prog" as Yes.
Uhhhm, Have you ever listened to 90125 or Big Generator?  Granted, they're not fully pop, but they are clearly more "radio-friendly", to use that term that these fools have been using,  than anything Rush ever put out. I mean, it's not even close.  "Rhythm of Love" is just terrible.  And don't say it wasn;t intentional.  That's not even naive.  That's stupid.  Go listen to "In the city of Angels".  There was clear intent in their eighties stuff.

Read my other posts...

This is getting annoying, 90125 and he classic Yes period are on the oppositer ends of the musical cosmos, so shut up, and READ ALL MY POSTS BEFORE TRYING TO FOOLISHLY CONTRADICT MEAngry
I read your other posts and I don't see why that would change what I said at all.  You say that Rush was always radio-friendly and then name a bunch of singles that they released, the majority of which weren't hits by the way, and that's supposed proove that their radio-friendly?  What band doesn't release singles? Holy sh*t, you know what , you're right, Rush sold out with "passage to Bangkok".  I see it now, they're not as progressive now because they released a single.  It all makes sense.  On top of that, after you name a bunch of singles that weren't hits you try to discredit someone that said Starship trooper was a hit by saying it "barely" broke the top 40.  That's way more than half the ones you mentioned did.  And what the hell do you mean by yes 80s is on the opposite side of the cosmos from 70s yes?  What difference does that make.  I could make the same comment about Rush.  I don't believe "Subdivisions" sounds anything like "The Necromancer" or "2112" but thats ok you can just excuse Yes for putting out popular material by saying that they were different in the 80's when no band stays the same over the years.  Yes has just as many hits as Rush.  "Roundabout", the aforementioned "Starship Trooper", "I've Seen All Good People", "Don't Kill the Whale", "Owner of a lonely Heart", "Rhythm of Love" are all hits.  Notice I only mentioned the hits and not just singles they released.  And lastly, why would it be foolish to contradict you?  What an ahole.  And I've read some other posts too by you.  You're just a jerk in general.  You're one of those people who measure a band's progressiveness based on how much they're on the radio and that's sad.  Why don't you lighten up and just listen to music for what it is and not how popular it is?

Wow, were an angry white shadow arent weBig%20smile

Compare seventies Yes to eighties Yes...

Sure Rush did not have a hit until 2112, but have ALWAYS aimed for media attention

In an earlier post I sayed that radio attention does not make a band any less progressive

I think we need to shill out a bit, I know I may be a bit stubborn and closeminded, but a jerk I am not.
Time Signature View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 14:26
I've given up on all those genres 'post-this', 'eclectic that', 'Italian whatchamacallit', 'proto-something', 'neo-art-whatshisface', 'prog-semi-related'.... I have no idea how to categorize Rush. I'd categorize them as 'Rush rock'.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 14:32
Besides mr. white shadow, I'm just saying because Rush is such a popular band (5th best selling in america btw), they belong in a subgenre with more popular bands, rather than smoke the competition  with bands barely even heard of.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 14:38
Schizoid, just because a band sells a lot of records doesn't mean that they necessarily have a "connection to popular music" as Crossover is defined (I assume that's the subgenre you're vouching for).
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 14:40
can't we just put them in "white funk"?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 14:45
They could be Reggae, too. Spirit of the Radio? Vital Signs?
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 15:04
An excerpt from the Heavy Prog definition:
"Heavy Prog defines progressive rock music that draws as much influence from hard rock as it does from classic progressive rock. In simple terms, it is a marriage of the guitar-based heavy blues of the late 1960s and 1970s - artists such as Cream, Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath - and the progressive/symphonic movement represented by King Crimson, Yes and Genesis."

Only the first three Rush albums satisfy that. 

"Bands that represent Heavy Prog would include ATOMIC ROOSTER, URIAH HEEP, TEMPEST, BLACK WIDOW, DR. Z, WARHORSE, PAATOS, BIRTH CONTROL, TILES."

That fits in pretty well with my conception of Heavy Prog (Atomic Rooster, Birth Control, Tempest, Captain Beyond), and I think Rush is a poor fit amongst those names. 

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 16:56
Might as well chime in here.

Back in the late-70's/early-80's, the premier FM rock station in these woods, in terms of playlist, did not distinguish Rush from AC/DC, or Pink Floyd, or Ozzy Osborne, or any number of other rock bands for that matter.  The point being that at the time Rush was at least by radio programmers considered a fairly mainstream AOR band.   

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 18:26
High Tide are the archetypical band to represent Heacy Prog.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
White Shadow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 19:05

No

I'm saying that Rush insnt like Yes, because Yes only had ONE signal (which they didnt even mean to make), then turned they're back on radio. While Rush always sticked with radio, therefore not as "hardcore prog" as Yes.
Uhhhm, Have you ever listened to 90125 or Big Generator?  Granted, they're not fully pop, but they are clearly more "radio-friendly", to use that term that these fools have been using,  than anything Rush ever put out. I mean, it's not even close.  "Rhythm of Love" is just terrible.  And don't say it wasn;t intentional.  That's not even naive.  That's stupid.  Go listen to "In the city of Angels".  There was clear intent in their eighties stuff.

Read my other posts...

This is getting annoying, 90125 and he classic Yes period are on the oppositer ends of the musical cosmos, so shut up, and READ ALL MY POSTS BEFORE TRYING TO FOOLISHLY CONTRADICT MEAngry
I read your other posts and I don't see why that would change what I said at all.  You say that Rush was always radio-friendly and then name a bunch of singles that they released, the majority of which weren't hits by the way, and that's supposed proove that their radio-friendly?  What band doesn't release singles? Holy sh*t, you know what , you're right, Rush sold out with "passage to Bangkok".  I see it now, they're not as progressive now because they released a single.  It all makes sense.  On top of that, after you name a bunch of singles that weren't hits you try to discredit someone that said Starship trooper was a hit by saying it "barely" broke the top 40.  That's way more than half the ones you mentioned did.  And what the hell do you mean by yes 80s is on the opposite side of the cosmos from 70s yes?  What difference does that make.  I could make the same comment about Rush.  I don't believe "Subdivisions" sounds anything like "The Necromancer" or "2112" but thats ok you can just excuse Yes for putting out popular material by saying that they were different in the 80's when no band stays the same over the years.  Yes has just as many hits as Rush.  "Roundabout", the aforementioned "Starship Trooper", "I've Seen All Good People", "Don't Kill the Whale", "Owner of a lonely Heart", "Rhythm of Love" are all hits.  Notice I only mentioned the hits and not just singles they released.  And lastly, why would it be foolish to contradict you?  What an ahole.  And I've read some other posts too by you.  You're just a jerk in general.  You're one of those people who measure a band's progressiveness based on how much they're on the radio and that's sad.  Why don't you lighten up and just listen to music for what it is and not how popular it is?

Sure Rush did not have a hit until 2112, but have ALWAYS aimed for media attention

In an earlier post I sayed that radio attention does not make a band any less progressive

I think we need to shill out a bit, I know I may be a bit stubborn and closeminded, but a jerk I am not.
I'm not angry.  I was totally calm when I wrote that.  In fact I am a very happy white shadow.  I was being sarcastic when I wrote most of it.  If you didn't figure it out, "Passage to Bangkok" did not chart, it was not a hit.  And you did say that radio attention made a band less progressive.  And I quote, "Rush were progressive but never progressive enough to stay away from radio".  End quote.  So either you lied or forgot.  And where are you getting that Rush aims for radio air time?  You're pulling that out of your ass.  Their first true hit was "Spirit of Radio"  and that was supposed to be a punch in the stomach to radio.  How do you explain that?  Rush is so radio-friendly that they attack radio in their songs.  Yeah, Rush is definitely a good friend of radio.  And I'm sorry, it is my opinion, based on your posts and the way you talk to people, that you are a jerk.  Like I said, you need to lighten up.
[signature]
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 19:42
Rush havent sold as many albums as the following bands:

Jethro Tull
Yes
Genesis
Pink Floyd
ELP

So this stuff about popularity is not very well thought out.

As for High Tide....just how influential were they for pity's sake? Everyone's entitled to an opinion but let's not be contraversial for the sake of an argument.

@ White Shadow
Let's not start calling people liars in the course of an argument either, unless you want to discover the quickest way out of here..
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 19:48
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Rush havent sold as many albums as the following bands:

Jethro Tull
Yes
Genesis
Pink Floyd
ELP

So this stuff about popularity is not very well thought out.

As for High Tide....just how influential were they for pity's sake? Everyone's entitled to an opinion but let's not be contraversial for the sake of an argument.

@ White Shadow
Let's not start calling people liars in the course of an argument either, unless you want to discover the quickest way out of here..

Thank you he was hurting my opinions immenselyCry

But, like I said, Rush is the 5th best selling band behind, (in no order) Kiss, Aerosmith, The beatles and Bon Jovi (I'm not too sure about that last one). I'm sure in england the charts are much different.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 19:59

No

Read my other posts...

I'm not angry.  I was totally calm when I wrote that.  In fact I am a very happy white shadow.  I was being sarcastic when I wrote most of it.  If you didn't figure it out, "Passage to Bangkok" did not chart, it was not a hit.  And you did say that radio attention made a band less progressive.  And I quote, "Rush were progressive but never progressive enough to stay away from radio".  End quote.  So either you lied or forgot.  And where are you getting that Rush aims for radio air time?  You're pulling that out of your ass.  Their first true hit was "Spirit of Radio"  and that was supposed to be a punch in the stomach to radio.  How do you explain that?  Rush is so radio-friendly that they attack radio in their songs.  Yeah, Rush is definitely a good friend of radio.  And I'm sorry, it is my opinion, based on your posts and the way you talk to people, that you are a jerk.  Like I said, you need to lighten up.

As for the personel attacks, thats completely fine, just shows who's the bigger man. As for the musical argument, yeah, Rush is against what Radio does to bands, but hell, whatever gets them more mainstream cred, (especially in the eighties, quite contradictory). Either way, I dont see what you mean by Rush trying to stay away from radio, Snakes and Arrows debuted at number 2 and the first song on the album was the singal.

Actually, because of thes debate, I have found Rush to be very hippocritical! After permanent waves and spirit of radio, Rush immediately went on to write they're most popular album ( by popular I dont mean most mainstream) moving pictures. And after that they shifted WITH radio to a more mellow synth rock sound that was popular in the mid eighties. AND in the nineties, they moved on once again to a more down to earth rock sound that was becoming popular in the nineties.

I'm sure we will agree or disagree on many topics on a more friendly note in the future, but I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I think we all need to look at Rush music wise more than song wise (yes, even me) Clap
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 20:02
No, they arent the 5th bestselling at all, they have the 5 th best haul of gold or platinum albums in the US.

Genesis,Tull, Floyd,Yes and ELP have all outsold Rush in the US.

It has nothing to do with "England" and everything to do with researching your "facts" before presenting them in argument.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>