Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAffinity for Reviewers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Affinity for Reviewers
    Posted: September 01 2007 at 11:02
Once upon a time, long long ago, a thread was started (I know not by whom) which posed the question, "Does a review influence your opinion", to which I replied, "Yes, but only of the reviewer."

With this in mind, and recognising that tastes vary hugely between site members, which (fellow?) reviewer seems to be most "on the same page" as yourself? For me personally, I have to say Blacksword.

Sure, he only gave Green (Hillage) 4 stars, when it's a blatant 5 star album, and "Script" got half a star too many for my taste, but on the whole, I feel a definite affinity, prog-wise.

Peter is also way up there, plus, I like his style, and appreciation of folk.

I don't want to know who you consider a tasteless heretic, only who you regard as a person of sound musical judgement.

em.

Edited by emdiar - September 01 2007 at 11:06
Perception is truth, ergo opinion is fact.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 11:07
Syzygy and Hugues are my sanity test and they're wonderfully merciless with their five star ratings. If either of them give a good review to an album I hadn't heard I'd be quicker to go look for it.

Yukorin and Rocktopus are neato, too, but they mostly just rate.
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 11:18
There's this one guy on here, I don't see him often, but his reviews express exactly my feelings. Shakey? Shaxpoo? Something like that....
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 11:18
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

There's this one guy on here, I don't see him often, but his reviews express exactly my feelings. Shakey? Shaxpoo? Something like that....

You wouldn't be referring to me, by any chance?
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 11:22
Sean and I are of one mind on many bands, but as I told him last week, Gryphon's "Gryphon" is worth 3 stars of anybody's money, (I'd give it 4!)

Edited by emdiar - September 02 2007 at 05:49
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 11:34
I'm very flattered to be named in your kind post, Emdiar Embarrassed (you and I often seem to be in accord on non-musical matters, as well), but the shameful truth is that I have not read any reviews on the site for quite some time. This is a reflection of my not having written any reviews for a long time. When I am writing, I like to see what my fellow Collabs have thought of the album I'm either about to review, or just did review. I find that helpful and interesting.

I also used to read reviews out of interest, not so much to look for new music (though I've done that a few times), as to see what others think of albums I already own.

Re any "affinity" in tastes with another reviewer, I often found that Maani and I were "on the same page," as were Bob (Easy Livin) and I. Their reviews were/are always well-written, as well. Thumbs%20Up

In general, though, there are many very good reviewers here (too many for me to keep track of, on an individual basis), and I have found myself in agreement with many over the years.

I plan to get back into reviewing soon (when settled in the new school year -- perhaps within a month or so), so no doubt I'll be reading reviews again then! Smile
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 11:55
It's about time Peter, we need more of your fine reviews!
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 12:14
There is not a single individual reviewer that I look at, but depending on category or genre, I often check out reviews by Sean Trane, Dick Heath, Erik Neuteboom (because of their experience) and The T (for his sanity checks) to get an initial ide about of an album that I want to hear or buy. And of course, ClemOfNazareth's reviews are a good read to get insight in how a piece of music people's touches feelings.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 12:58
I like Peter's reviews quite a bit too. I don't always agree with Hughes, but there are always insights that help with an album. Ivan and I are very likely to be of a similar opinion (big surprise ). Clem's reviews are always very useful, and well written. I also may not always agree with Atavachron, but his reviews are great to read. I have found Guigo to be a great source for things I will probably like.
Pafnutij View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 15:13
I've always liked Certif1ed's reviews (Is he still around?). I doubt they influenced me directly, but over the last couple of years I've seen my views and tastes in music shift in a somewhat similar direction.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 15:18
Gosh I like so many of the regulars I couldn't pick but one.  And I'll buy music from anyone's suggestion if they've made a decent case and the music "feels"  appealing to me.  Wink

Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 16:09
I like prog jesters review's and jareyays, they are not just reviews about what chords are played and how technical it gets, they're more about how enjoyable and challenging the music is!

speaking of reviewing...

guess who has thirty and is up for debate for reviewer status!

(hint: flitzoid can)
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 16:12
THE 34th Bench Turn Flitzoid Can?
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 16:16
nooooooooooo...

try again...
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 17:06
Originally posted by Pafnutij Pafnutij wrote:

I've always liked Certif1ed's reviews (Is he still around?). I doubt they influenced me directly, but over the last couple of years I've seen my views and tastes in music shift in a somewhat similar direction.
Embarrassed, Cert, how could I forget. A Big Up for a Here&Now fan is always in order.

Edited by emdiar - September 01 2007 at 17:07
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 17:18
I believe that no one can never be in affinity with my thoughs, but the closest reviewer would be Sean Trane. From the albums we've heard in common, the only one which I disagree is his five stars to Traffic's Shoot out at the fantasy factory. But the rest, overall when it comes to the top ten bands, our ratings are practically the same.
The best you can is good enough...
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 12:08
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

I'm very flattered to be named in your kind post, Emdiar Embarrassed (you and I often seem to be in accord on non-musical matters, as well), but the shameful truth is that I have not read any reviews on the site for quite some time. This is a reflection of my not having written any reviews for a long time. When I am writing, I like to see what my fellow Collabs have thought of the album I'm either about to review, or just did review. I find that helpful and interesting.

I also used to read reviews out of interest, not so much to look for new music (though I've done that a few times), as to see what others think of albums I already own.

Re any "affinity" in tastes with another reviewer, I often found that Maani and I were "on the same page," as were Bob (Easy Livin) and I. Their reviews were/are always well-written, as well. Thumbs%20Up

In general, though, there are many very good reviewers here (too many for me to keep track of, on an individual basis), and I have found myself in agreement with many over the years.

I plan to get back into reviewing soon (when settled in the new school year -- perhaps within a month or so), so no doubt I'll be reading reviews again then! Smile

Hi Peter, yes, we do have a similar outlook on many a topic. Like you, I find reviews on albums with which I am already familiar to be the most interesting. That's how I am able to judge  you, Blacksword and Certif1ed to be among my most kindred spirits. That is in no way a comment on the rest, as I find common ground with many reviewers (we are all progheads after all).

I have yet to "review" an album, though I've written many an opinionated post on bands and their output. Reviews are, of course, very subjective by nature, but that makes them fun. I'm sometimes quite self conscious about voicing my opinions on certain bands, in case it gives the wrong impression. For example, It Bites are one of my favourite 80s prog acts, but I can't explain why. Their sound is WAY too poppy and 80s for my (sometimes) quite conservative proghole tastes, yet I find it to be more 'honest' than most of the neoprog acts earlier in that decade. Does that make sense? I can quite understand why many see them as a pop act with flash muso affectations, but when I saw them play tiny club venues, every tricky time sig and Holdsworth-esque guitar lick was...well...music to my ears, starved as they were for decent sounds in those prog-baron years. If I had discovered them for the first time today I'd most likely not even give them a second listening. I shouldn't care what others think really, but there it is.

I look forward to your first Roy Harper review with bated breathWink.

Edited by emdiar - September 02 2007 at 12:13
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 12:11
Surely Bob, despite that I don't have the same musical tastes, I like his type of writting.
asimplemistake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 12:16
I'd say Shakespeare has pretty similar tastes to mine, and I like his reviews.  Umm thats the only person at the moment I can think of with similar tastes (even though theres a bunch out there).
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 12:16
Originally posted by emdiar emdiar wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Hi Peter, yes, we do have a similar outlook on many a topic. Like you, I find reviews on albums with which I am already familiar to be the most interesting. That's how I am able to judge  you, Blacksword and Certif1ed to be among my most kindred spirits. That is in no way a comment on the rest, as I find common ground with many reviewers (we are all progheads after all).

I have yet to "review" an album, though I've written many an opinionated post on bands and their output. Reviews are, of course, very subjective by nature, but that makes them fun. I'm sometimes quite self conscious about voicing my opinions on certain bands, in case it gives the wrong impression. For example, It Bites are one of my favourite 80s prog acts, but I can't explain why. Their sound is WAY too poppy and 80s for my (sometimes) quite conservative proghole tastes, yet I find it to be more 'honest' than most of the neoprog acts earlier in that decade. Does that make sense? I can quite understand why many see them as a pop act with flash muso affectations, but when I saw them play tiny club venues, every tricky time sig and Holdsworth-esque guitar lick was...well...music to my ears, starved as they were for decent sounds in those prog-baron years. I shouldn't care what others think really, but there it is.

I look forward to your first Roy Harper review with bated breathWink.
Hi yourself, Emdy!Smile

I really must get an It Bites album one day (I really like the two tracks I've heard from the band). Where to start, palQuestion
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>