Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAffinity for Reviewers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 22:24
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

The point is that all those who have become prog reviewers have proven that they are generally reliable reviewers with good composition skills. Since it would be much meaner to simply delete all the ratings without reviews, which gives non-English speaking members a chance to at least weigh in a little on reviews, a system of weights must be implemented. Now, the line between the validity of a guest reviewer's opinion and collabs is blurry, but any gues reviewer with a sufficient amount of high-quality reviews can become a collab. Collabs do not necessarily have better opinions, but they have been proven reliable, or at least more so than a one-off review from an unknown reviewer, which may still be valid.

Lets be quite frank here. How many of you actually write reviews for a living? You have elevated yourselves on this pedestal without any true credentials or accomplishments.

Lets face it, you're all rank  amateurs as am I. So do I think 3X the amount seems a bit high?...indeed I do.

As far as those who write no essay with their review, I can see why those are rated quite low. It is all too easy to abuse, and therefore shouldn't be given much credence.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 22:37
Originally posted by Greg W Greg W wrote:

Then let me explain by referring you to a band called Acuity. There are approximately 3 reviewers on this cd. The total would come out to 8 stars divided by 3 reviewers, which should come out to 2.66, however it shows 1.79. Why is that? Could it be that the elitist Collaborators have decided their reviews mean more than us commoners. It would seem that way to me.

The elitist collaborators decide NOTHING, this options are taken by the owners and administrators team, they are who decide who is a collaborator and who's not and what policy the site is going to follow.

Then I thought, well maybe they don't count those reviews done by people who only rate it without an essay. So, I did the math again and it comes up 2.5 stars, and yet it says 1.79. So how much importance have the collabs given themselves? Is it 2 times the amount. No, that works out to be 2 stars. Actually it seems to be 3 times the amount or very close to it. That kind of honesty? No thanks, I'll read the Guest reveiws, thank you very much.

The Collaborators have proven to be reliable and most important, they are responsible for what they write, if a Collaborator writes crap, the Adms will find him/her while a guest reviewer is not easy to find always.

Collabotarators (mostof them) use their real names besides the nick, so that is more responsability and the site knows who they are, while a guest reviewer can change nick 25 times and rate an album 25 times, something that has happened already.

But again Collaborators are not giving more importance to them, we have no decision on the policy of the site,

Read the Prog Reviews reporting thread and you will find more than 90% of the reviews deleted are from guest reviewers, very rarely a Collaborator writes a review that has to be checked.

Collaborators have written many reviews before being called to work for the site (Free work BTW), so there are reasons to trust more in most of them.

Iván 

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 06 2007 at 22:39

Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 23:12
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Then let me explain by referring you to a band called Acuity. There are approximately 3 reviewers on this cd. The total would come out to 8 stars divided by 3 reviewers, which should come out to 2.66, however it shows 1.79. Why is that? Could it be that the elitist Collaborators have decided their reviews mean more than us commoners. It would seem that way to me.

The elitist collaborators decide NOTHING, this options are taken by the owners and administrators team, they are who decide who is a collaborator and who's not and what policy the site is going to follow.  ( I used the term generically. Of course I am referring to the admins as well.

Then I thought, well maybe they don't count those reviews done by people who only rate it without an essay. So, I did the math again and it comes up 2.5 stars, and yet it says 1.79. So how much importance have the collabs given themselves? Is it 2 times the amount. No, that works out to be 2 stars. Actually it seems to be 3 times the amount or very close to it. That kind of honesty? No thanks, I'll read the Guest reveiws, thank you very much.

The Collaborators have proven to be reliable and most important, they are responsible for what they write, if a Collaborator writes crap, the Adms will find him/her while a guest reviewer is not easy to find always. ( If it is a crap review, just delete it. Don't worry about chasing them down)

Collabotarators (mostof them) use their real names besides the nick, so that is more responsability and the site knows who they are, while a guest reviewer can change nick 25 times and rate an album 25 times, something that has happened already. ( I fail to see the point here. Is that supposed to reflect honesty? Once again, it doesn't matter. If the review is crap,just delete.)

But again Collaborators are not giving more importance to them, we have no decision on the policy of the site, ( Either way, someone is resonsible for it, collabs or not, I don't find it fair)

Read the Prog Reviews reporting thread and you will find more than 90% of the reviews deleted are from guest reviewers, very rarely a Collaborator writes a review that has to be checked. ( Yes, but the ones that remain have been deemed legitimate and therefore don't deserve to have their reviews lessened in value)

Collaborators have written many reviews before being called to work for the site (Free work BTW), so there are reasons to trust more in most of them. (So they have the time, and people such as myself do not. Some collabs have very narrow tastes and rank many such stuff that is good as posh, just because they are incapable of expanding their horizons or are  unable to get into certain genres. I, myself cannot get into KrautRock and if I review them, I would have to give them 2 stars or less...would that be fair?...no. SO I would never rate any Krautrock as I am unfit to do so as I just don't get it. So, as far as trusting one  group of people over another, I disagree as tastes vary and I think Collabs would be more apt to give bad reviews on music that doesn't suit their tastes over others. Or , I should say, those reviews are likely to stay inside here because they were well written.)

Iván 

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 23:50

( I used the term generically. Of course I am referring to the admins as well.

Yes, but Collaborators decide nothing and Administrators sacrifice a lot of quality time wityh their fanmilies to be here.

( If it is a crap review, just delete it. Don't worry about chasing them down)

Do you volunteer to check all the reviews daily? Only two Adms are in charge of checking thousands of reviews, so it's not easy to search them all despite the effort they do.

( I fail to see the point here. Is that supposed to reflect honesty? Once again, it doesn't matter. If the review is crap,just delete.)

Againm, it's easy to say delete them, but it0's hard to read each and everyv review every day.

( Either way, someone is resonsible for it, collabs or not, I don't find it fair)

Well, that's the policy of the site, we can't decvide anything, we have to accept because at the end we are all guests of the owners.

( Yes, but the ones that remain have been deemed legitimate and therefore don't deserve to have their reviews lessened in value)

No that nmmeans only a few flawed reviews have been found.

So they have the time, and people such as myself do not.

Well, we do a lot of sacrifices to collaborate here, the decison of the Adms and the owners is to give us some more confidence because we make this extra effort.

And believe me, it's not easy for anybody, Icome from my office and instead of spending quality time withj my family I'm here chating with HT to check the new bands, Bob is in a cold hotel room, witth his lap top helping us and James keeps awake until 5 or  6 am to chat ith us.

Some collabs have very narrow tastes and rank many such stuff that is good as posh, just because they are incapable of expanding their horizons or are  unable to get into certain genres.

That's another reason to give the Collaborators more trust, most of us don't dare to review or rate anything we're not familiar with. I never rated a RIO or Post Rock album,i simply don't understand them, almost 50% of my reviews are about Symph bands because that's the area I'm more familiar with.

I, myself cannot get into KrautRock and if I review them, I would have to give them 2 stars or less...would that be fair?...no. SO I would never rate any Krautrock as I am unfit to do so as I just don't get it. So, as far as trusting one  group of people over another,

Well, in my office I have personel that i trust more than others, they have clearence to check documents the others can't even open, the trust is gained with time and work.

I disagree as tastes vary and I think Collabs would be more apt to give bad reviews on music that doesn't suit their tastes over others. Or , I should say, those reviews are likely to stay inside here because they were well written.)

That's part of it, Adms and owners choose Prog Revioewrs because they like their style more, the owners own the site, they can decide who to trust more.

BTW: lately i don't review very much because I'm busty with the Symphonic Team, and I never asked or cared about the weight of my reviews, i write them because I enjoy writting them, despite they weight 1 ior 10.

Iván 

Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 00:07
Well, in the end the powers that be may make all the decisions of what is valued or not, but I still have freedom of choice of what reviews I choose to read. I was mwerely trying to explain WHY...

Greg
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 07:03

Well, in the end the powers that be may make all the decisions of what is valued or not, but I still have freedom of choice of what reviews I choose to read. I was mwerely trying to explain WHY...

Greg

Well your thoughts came over very poorly and made you appear bitter and twisted,I'm sure that wasnt your intention Greg.
There are many reasons why the overall rating system favours Collabs/Prog Reviewers amongst them:

*Reward for service to the site
*Incentive for members to "move up the ranks"
* to fight the practice of guests giving inflated scores to albums to give them more prominence

I am sure Greg understands this, he just likes to rock the boat occasionally.Smile
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 15:22
What do you mean Tony? You were one of those guys with narrow taste in music I was referring to....Tongue.. There are fanboys, yes, but even Collabs are fanboys to someone, so albums tend to be inflated at times anyhow. I will say Collabs take their reviews more seriously and at least try to remain impartial. Many Guest Reviewers need to be watched like a hawk, but those reviews that are accepted should play more credence. 3X or thereabout seems a bit high. That is all.

You were right about one thing. I do like to rock the boat. That felt good. Like old times.LOL
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 16:26

Yes each one of us has our favorites no doubt Greg but as collective whole we are very diverse. (One of the reasons it takes so long to come to some conclusionsWink)  But from each ones varied experience and taste we represent a broad spectrum of progressive rock music.  It is very true to say the sum is greater than the parts in our case. As long as we leave egos behind us we do good service to the site and its readers.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 16:51

3X or thereabout seems a bit high. That is all.

From my understanding, prog reviewers get a weight of 3, non-collabs get a weight of 2, and ratings without reviews get 1, so the figure is closer to 1.5X. 
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 17:07

What do you mean Tony? You were one of those guys with narrow taste in music I was referring to....Tongue.. There are fanboys, yes, but even Collabs are fanboys to someone, so albums tend to be inflated at times anyhow.

Well anyone giving 4 stars to Acuity's album seriously needs their own credentials scrutinising....Wink
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 18:19
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

What do you mean Tony? You were one of those guys with narrow taste in music I was referring to....Tongue.. There are fanboys, yes, but even Collabs are fanboys to someone, so albums tend to be inflated at times anyhow.

Well anyone giving 4 stars to Acuity's album seriously needs their own credentials scrutinising....Wink

If I could do it over, I'd change it to 3. I still like it and play it on occasion
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 18:20
That singer is atrocious....
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 18:25

LOLWell granted, he is a bit bad.,but so is Captain Beefheart and many people love himConfused
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 00:43

What do you mean Tony? You were one of those guys with narrow taste in music I was referring to....Tongue.. There are fanboys, yes, but even Collabs are fanboys to someone, so albums tend to be inflated at times anyhow. I will say Collabs take their reviews more seriously and at least try to remain impartial. Many Guest Reviewers need to be watched like a hawk, but those reviews that are accepted should play more credence. 3X or thereabout seems a bit high. That is all.

You were right about one thing. I do like to rock the boat. That felt good. Like old times.LOL

You may be somewhat right about collabs/admins being partial to certain bands, but there is evidence of them being objective regardless: Tony is a well-known (don't deny it Tony!) Rush fanboy, but the mean average of his reviews of Rush albums is only 3.2 stars. Easy Livin' has been known to sing the praises of Mike Oldfield, but his 30 reviews add up to an average rating of only 3.3. I arguably have written more about Kansas than anyone on these archives, but my 29 reviews add up to only a 3.1 average rating of that band.    So I think there's at least some evidence to indicate we are capable of objectivity.

As for Acuity, 14,997 members here have never commented on them, and of the three reviews one was a coolab who explained in detail why he gave it one star; one gave it three with no explanation at all; and you gave it four stars three years ago with a comment on this very thread that this was probably inflated.

From my seat in the bleachers it seems as if the rating system is working pretty well.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 14:24

I have resurrected this thread to applaud Febus' mammoth undertaking of the Barclay James Harvest back catalogue; the fact that I love 'Octoberon' and '...Other Short Stories' aside, I agree with everything else that he wrote, particularly with the 80s and 90s albums. Thumbs%20Up

jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 21:19

^^yes, excellent reviewing by Febus.  I've been planning on getting into Barclay James Harvest, one of the "big" bands I've yet to explore, and I began reading his reviews as they appeared on the homepage, seemingly everyday.  As a result, "BJH Live" is on my order list followed by Once Again and EiEE. 

It takes a certain kind of perspecitve to systematical review an entire catalogue that way.  Very goodClap

Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 21:22
Originally posted by asimplemistake asimplemistake wrote:

I'd say Shakespeare has pretty similar tastes to mine, and I like his reviews.  Umm thats the only person at the moment I can think of with similar tastes (even though theres a bunch out there).

Thanks Dan, I appreciate that. Didn't realize you said that!

Lately, I've been reading lots of Folly's reviews. Not only are they very well written, but I agree with most of his points.

(On last.fm, our music match calculator thingy is "Very High")
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 21:25
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

There's this one guy on here, I don't see him often, but his reviews express exactly my feelings. Shakey? Shaxpoo? Something like that....

You wouldn't be referring to me, by any chance?

Yeah! YOU! You rock, man!
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 21:38

LOLWell granted, he is a bit bad.,but so is Captain Beefheart

You take that back!

explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 21:47
I've always wondered: Who the heck is Drain-O??? He's rated like 2345345556777 albums, and has given very few (if any, I don't know) reviews. I need a personality to match the screen name!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>