Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAffinity for Reviewers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Affinity for Reviewers
    Posted: October 04 2007 at 07:39
I do find a few that will usually make me read just about all their reviews - Gatot, Atavchron, Ivan, Sean Trane, and some others. Mind you, having gone through the alphabetical listings this spring & summer, I think Sean has written too many "short" reviews, & I'm still mystified about reviewing albums listened to 15-20 years ago.
I still peruse non-collabs & non-admin reviews. The good ones will give off a spark about a certain album or group that will pique my curiosity enough to want to sample the music.
I must add one clarification here though - a good review goes beyond raving about how this or that group is just so excellent , blah blah blah. It includes some comparisons, some musical guideposts, along with some personal attachment to said music.
The perfect example that I've some across is Night Sun. Many reviews, but just guest reviews. Which I find strange as this is one heck of an early 70s heavy prog gem.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 10:48
Originally posted by emdiar emdiar wrote:

Once upon a time, long long ago, a thread was started (I know not by whom) which posed the question, "Does a review influence your opinion", to which I replied, "Yes, but only of the reviewer."

With this in mind, and recognising that tastes vary hugely between site members, which (fellow?) reviewer seems to be most "on the same page" as yourself? For me personally, I have to say Blacksword.

Sure, he only gave Green (Hillage) 4 stars, when it's a blatant 5 star album, and "Script" got half a star too many for my taste, but on the whole, I feel a definite affinity, prog-wise.

Peter is also way up there, plus, I like his style, and appreciation of folk.

I don't want to know who you consider a tasteless heretic, only who you regard as a person of sound musical judgement.

em.

Thanks emdiar. I have often felt from our discussions that we are on a similar page.

With regard to 'Green' it's an album that blew my mind when I first heard it. I discovered it at the same time as the Ozrics, and was listening to a lot of ambient music. It went with my mood very well. I probably would have awarded 5 stars back then, but hey there was no Progarchives then.. My review of 'Green' is quite recent, and my perspective is slightly different I guess. An excellent album nonetheless, as is Live Herald, my old vinyl copy of which still gets frequent plays. Salmon Sing! Wow!

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 22:20
actually Bouvet has a little known but thriving prog scene..     Tongue

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 22:01
As long as I researched, Drain-o is a French photographer that worked with M. Cousteau and due to his prog-rock appreciation was left in the almost desert island of Bouvet, in the South Atlantic together with the Norwegian garrison that deploys there, however Drain-o is the only permanent resident there... Tongue

Edited by Atkingani - October 02 2007 at 22:01
Guigo

~~~~~~
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 21:52
I've always wondered about Drain-o too, if he hangs in the forums?   I find his ratings to be generally very accurate.  

explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 21:47
I've always wondered: Who the heck is Drain-O??? He's rated like 2345345556777 albums, and has given very few (if any, I don't know) reviews. I need a personality to match the screen name!
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 21:38
Originally posted by Greg W Greg W wrote:

Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

That singer is atrocious....

LOLWell granted, he is a bit bad.,but so is Captain Beefheart

You take that back!

Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 21:25
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

There's this one guy on here, I don't see him often, but his reviews express exactly my feelings. Shakey? Shaxpoo? Something like that....

You wouldn't be referring to me, by any chance?

Yeah! YOU! You rock, man!
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 21:22
Originally posted by asimplemistake asimplemistake wrote:

I'd say Shakespeare has pretty similar tastes to mine, and I like his reviews.  Umm thats the only person at the moment I can think of with similar tastes (even though theres a bunch out there).

Thanks Dan, I appreciate that. Didn't realize you said that!

Lately, I've been reading lots of Folly's reviews. Not only are they very well written, but I agree with most of his points.

(On last.fm, our music match calculator thingy is "Very High")
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 21:19

^^yes, excellent reviewing by Febus.  I've been planning on getting into Barclay James Harvest, one of the "big" bands I've yet to explore, and I began reading his reviews as they appeared on the homepage, seemingly everyday.  As a result, "BJH Live" is on my order list followed by Once Again and EiEE. 

It takes a certain kind of perspecitve to systematical review an entire catalogue that way.  Very goodClap

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 14:24

I have resurrected this thread to applaud Febus' mammoth undertaking of the Barclay James Harvest back catalogue; the fact that I love 'Octoberon' and '...Other Short Stories' aside, I agree with everything else that he wrote, particularly with the 80s and 90s albums. Thumbs%20Up

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 00:43

What do you mean Tony? You were one of those guys with narrow taste in music I was referring to....Tongue.. There are fanboys, yes, but even Collabs are fanboys to someone, so albums tend to be inflated at times anyhow. I will say Collabs take their reviews more seriously and at least try to remain impartial. Many Guest Reviewers need to be watched like a hawk, but those reviews that are accepted should play more credence. 3X or thereabout seems a bit high. That is all.

You were right about one thing. I do like to rock the boat. That felt good. Like old times.LOL

You may be somewhat right about collabs/admins being partial to certain bands, but there is evidence of them being objective regardless: Tony is a well-known (don't deny it Tony!) Rush fanboy, but the mean average of his reviews of Rush albums is only 3.2 stars. Easy Livin' has been known to sing the praises of Mike Oldfield, but his 30 reviews add up to an average rating of only 3.3. I arguably have written more about Kansas than anyone on these archives, but my 29 reviews add up to only a 3.1 average rating of that band.    So I think there's at least some evidence to indicate we are capable of objectivity.

As for Acuity, 14,997 members here have never commented on them, and of the three reviews one was a coolab who explained in detail why he gave it one star; one gave it three with no explanation at all; and you gave it four stars three years ago with a comment on this very thread that this was probably inflated.

From my seat in the bleachers it seems as if the rating system is working pretty well.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 18:25

LOLWell granted, he is a bit bad.,but so is Captain Beefheart and many people love himConfused
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 18:20
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 18:19

What do you mean Tony? You were one of those guys with narrow taste in music I was referring to....Tongue.. There are fanboys, yes, but even Collabs are fanboys to someone, so albums tend to be inflated at times anyhow.

Well anyone giving 4 stars to Acuity's album seriously needs their own credentials scrutinising....Wink

If I could do it over, I'd change it to 3. I still like it and play it on occasion
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 17:07

What do you mean Tony? You were one of those guys with narrow taste in music I was referring to....Tongue.. There are fanboys, yes, but even Collabs are fanboys to someone, so albums tend to be inflated at times anyhow.

Well anyone giving 4 stars to Acuity's album seriously needs their own credentials scrutinising....Wink
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 16:51

3X or thereabout seems a bit high. That is all.

From my understanding, prog reviewers get a weight of 3, non-collabs get a weight of 2, and ratings without reviews get 1, so the figure is closer to 1.5X. 
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 16:26

Yes each one of us has our favorites no doubt Greg but as collective whole we are very diverse. (One of the reasons it takes so long to come to some conclusionsWink)  But from each ones varied experience and taste we represent a broad spectrum of progressive rock music.  It is very true to say the sum is greater than the parts in our case. As long as we leave egos behind us we do good service to the site and its readers.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 15:22
What do you mean Tony? You were one of those guys with narrow taste in music I was referring to....Tongue.. There are fanboys, yes, but even Collabs are fanboys to someone, so albums tend to be inflated at times anyhow. I will say Collabs take their reviews more seriously and at least try to remain impartial. Many Guest Reviewers need to be watched like a hawk, but those reviews that are accepted should play more credence. 3X or thereabout seems a bit high. That is all.

You were right about one thing. I do like to rock the boat. That felt good. Like old times.LOL
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 07:03

Well, in the end the powers that be may make all the decisions of what is valued or not, but I still have freedom of choice of what reviews I choose to read. I was mwerely trying to explain WHY...

Greg

Well your thoughts came over very poorly and made you appear bitter and twisted,I'm sure that wasnt your intention Greg.
There are many reasons why the overall rating system favours Collabs/Prog Reviewers amongst them:

*Reward for service to the site
*Incentive for members to "move up the ranks"
* to fight the practice of guests giving inflated scores to albums to give them more prominence

I am sure Greg understands this, he just likes to rock the boat occasionally.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>