Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Division Bell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
fender101 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Division Bell
    Posted: October 03 2005 at 03:37

I love this album and pretty much everything released by pink floyd. There is without a doubt some of the floyds best music on DB but I think it slides quite low as well. Wearing the inside out is not exactly brillient even if you do like it. A great day for freedom I believe is mediocre Take it back and poles apart are also only ok. In my opinion the rest of the album is awesome top notch stuff.

Given that this album should only be 4 stars.

If the album was cut back to 40 minutes, it would be one of the best of all time!

Well McGarnical Billy is dead! They slit his throat from ear to ear!
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2005 at 08:10
I like the intro, but otherwise not. There's no Syd...
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2005 at 08:59
I carry High Hopes every day on my MP3 player...Such a great feeling to walk in a town fallen into autumn's claws and listen to High Hopes...Perfect!!
lordoflight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2005 at 08:51
High Hopes is Pink Floyd's best song ever
Litl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2005 at 13:09
(Yo Tube-Type, the Niners are on their way back! )
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2005 at 00:00
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

I actually love AMLOR... I don't know why every one has such a problem with it.  I think that Learning to Fly and On the Turning Away are just marvelous... but Sorrow and Yet Another Movie.. give David another rise to shine... and shine he does.  The only one of the songs I have a problem with on the studio album is Dogs of War... but on the live "DSOT"... Dave just blows that song out of the water... and even that song sounds just wonderful!!!

I also really like AMLOR, On the Turning away is great, and learning to fly is a classic.

Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 23:58
I love the division bell, and am glad to see im not alone in that. High Hopes is the best Pink Floyd song after Echoes IMO, I one time sat on my balcony with a good friend, a 24 of beer, and some albums. The Division Bell was the highlight of the night, and I think its often overlooked because Roger Waters isnt in it, which is a shame. Oh well, Ill enjoy it and in the end that is what matters.
HeirToRuin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 23:27
The Division Bell was one of the more memorable albums I owned at age 18.  I took a long road trip with a good friend and this album.  The themese on the album have great for a particular mood.

I'd consider a few songs on the album (High Hopes, Coming Back To Life, Marooned) to be somewhat of masterpieces of more ambient British prog rock.  The other songs are not outstanding but certainly make for a good time...and are fun to sing along with.
tube-type View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 17:39

Originally posted by Litl Litl wrote:

Here's a different take on the album.  I like it fine even if it doesn't jangle my socks.  But my wife, who doesn't like prog at all, loves The Division Bell.  The reason is because of its passion and emotional depth.  She also loves DG's voice.  What it all adds up to for her is she thinks it's incredibly sensuous and sexy!    What do you think of that??

I agree with that totally!!

And evidently they had plenty to say after WYWH... Animals came after that.. and thats their best IMO.

My bad on Animals...dischronology is setting in

dalt99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 17:34
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Cluster,

I agree with Reed. How can one rate this 5 stars? That Floyd is 100% prog : 100% agreed without a shadow of a doubt. Masterpiece should concern roughly 5% of albums in a genre. And I am sure even in your book Division Bell is not in your top 5%.

Respectfully, I must disagree with this point about how a masterpiece should be only 5%.

I understand what you are saying HOWEVER you must realise that if an album IS a masterpiece than it's a masterpiece. Simple as that. Also, the ratings are always in the opinion of the reviewer.

My point is not in reference to "The Division Bell" album (which, I actually have never heard) but to the 5% quota. For the sake of argument, let's say that we agree that Close to the Edge, Foxtrot, Wish You Were Here, Thick as a Brick, Moving Pictures, In the Court of the Crimson King, Script for a Jester's Tear, Mirage, Brain Salad Surgery, Pawn Hearts, Images and Words and In the Land of Grey and Pink are all Masterpieces. What if I only owned those albums? Could I only rate ONE of them as a masterpiece because I have to stick to the 5% rule? I may prefer prog metal and feel that none of these albums are masterpieces.

In the end it comes down to taste. What can be argued for sure though is if The Division Bell is Pink Floyd's best album, second best, etc. I don't know, but no matter what I think, some WILL think different than me!

And they would be wrong!

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 16:35
Originally posted by Cluster One Cluster One wrote:

Originally posted by flowerchild flowerchild wrote:

And evidently they had plenty to say after WYWH... Animals came after that.. and thats their best IMO.

Indeed, and did you know that Gilmour fixed The Wall when Waters came with a lot of demo-tapes that sounded awefull. Gilmour organised it all.

Hmm Flowerchild, I don't follow you there... and what does this have to do with The Division Bell?

It doesnt! It is a reply to the statement I quoted! In some way it has to do with Division bell, as it proves thast Gilmour was a driving force in the later days of "the Waters era Floyd", but that wasn't my intention in my post. Why do you ask? Any problem?

Cluster One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 16:28
Originally posted by flowerchild flowerchild wrote:

Indeed, and did you know that Gilmour fixed The Wall when Waters came with a lot of demo-tapes that sounded awefull. Gilmour organised it all.

Hmm Flowerchild, I don't follow you there... and what does this have to do with The Division Bell?
Marmalade...I like marmalade.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 14:21

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 14:12

Originally posted by Litl Litl wrote:

Here's a different take on the album.  I like it fine even if it doesn't jangle my socks.  But my wife, who doesn't like prog at all, loves The Division Bell.  The reason is because of its passion and emotional depth.  She also loves DG's voice.  What it all adds up to for her is she thinks it's incredibly sensuous and sexy!    What do you think of that??

I agree with that totally!!

THIS IS ELP
tube-type View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 13:04
I'll go along with that....it ain't bad but it ain't no epic either...I'm not sure they had anything really new to say after WYWH, including The Wall, although I like parts of The Wall, too.
Litl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 12:56
ShrinkingViolet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 11:23

Personally this is my fave Pink Floyd Album I love it , I don't think theres one bad song on it..its a strong album..very good

Tarkustra View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 11:10

If thats the dark side of Floyd... then they don't need a light side.

I got into Floyd because of The Division Bell.  Its still my favorite Floyd album, although 3fates has somewhat swayed me to appreciate Animals just as much.  And coming into Floyd backwards and in the last 6 years, has allowed me to look at things a bit less biased than those of you who are more fans of one member against the other.

I'm a guitarist, so I'm going to appreciate Dave more.  And I've never been all that into Roger's dark lyrics, especially the ones from the Wall and after.  I can't even listen to his solo albums.  I like a lot of the earlier stuff, don't mind Barrett, but don't think he was genius. And I do like AMLOR.  And after finally having all their material studio and live, and even a few boots here and there, I think TDB and AMLOR sounds a lot more like Floyd than The Final Cut does. 

So I understand those of you who don't want to like AMLOR and TDB because Roger is missing. But I don't think you've given the music a fair shake, and thats just my opinion!

When you speak, is it you that hears? Are your ears full? You can't hear anything at all.
the dragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 09:04

Not sooooo good for me. The dark side of pink floyd.  

scumtotheleader View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 08:52
Deathinition wrote:

There are 3 types of Pin Floyd fans...

-the Syd Barrets

-The Roger Waters

-The David Gilmours

I' m a  David Gilmour-type

And Division Bell is Pink Floyd at their best to me...

i'm a DAvid gilmour one but without roger wouldn't be ANIMALS, WYWH;DSOTM,WALL,MEDDLE etc...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>