Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCoheed and Cambria - No World for Tomorrow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coheed and Cambria - No World for Tomorrow
    Posted: October 12 2007 at 03:43
DISCLAIMER: Alright, before I go any further, let me first say that this isn't the thread to complain about how much you dislike this band or don't think they're prog-related. The fact of the matter is that they're listed as prog-related on this site, so I felt kind of weird posting this in non-prog. So if you have any complaints, keep them in the "Coheed&Cambria Prog??" thread.

Moving on...

Are there any fans here that are excited for the new album as I am? Smile At first I was a little scared because I was disappointed by The Running Free, but I like the other songs I've heard thus far. If you haven't heard them, here are some places to check out some other songs:

The Hound (of Blood and Rank) at MetalSucks

Gravemakers and Gunslingers at MySpace
Interview at Putfile

That last one is an interview with Claudio and Mic on Bruce Dickinson's BBC radio show and features samples of No World for Tomorrow, Gravemakers and Gunslingers, The Running Free, Feathers and The End Complete V: On the Brink.

Enjoy!
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 10:53
yes! i love coheed and cambria (i'm wearing my good apollo volume 1 shirt right now) and i thought that the running free was good, but kind of the typical coheed single. anyway, i heard gravemakers and gunslingers on their myspace and i thought that was even better. i loved the solos in that song.
i'm really excited for this album, and i hope that they continue the progression that they've been making their entire career into more progressive territory. i know the last five songs are a suite, and i hope it's like the willing well because that's one of the best pieces they've written.
Syrinx View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 06:33
Well the album has leaked, I've listened to it, and I'm disappointed.

I must say, those of you who rejected having the band added to the archives get a point. Any hope of a progressive "evolution" after Good Apollo, Vol. 1 has fallen flat on its face with this release. There's about one song on the album that could be considered prog, and just two others that the uneducated listener may get the impression are just because they feature different sections. For the most part it's a classic rock and heavy metal tribute album, infused with the typical Coheed  pop rock.

I was really hoping they'd get more prog, but it looks like it was a one time thing. This is not prog at all.
SilverEclipse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 20:56
Well I listened to it, I loved it, it's an amazing rock fest and a superb conclusion to the Amory Wars Saga.  That said, most of the progressive sound from the previous installment is gone.... as well as any semblance of a punk/emo band that people have been calling them for years. 

Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Volume 2: No World For Tomorrow is just ROCK. 
"and if the band your in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 00:01
I havne't heard it... but reading some of you all's feedback, I remember the sages amoung us here said any prog tendencies on the last album would be ratcheted down on the next one to hit a wider audience.  I guess they were right. Remember this is the 70's anymore... it isn't about art and progressing as artists.. it is about making who signs the checks happy and that means selling albums to wider audiences.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 00:03
/\ what I've heard of IV pt. 2 is just generally BETTER, so who cares if it's prog?

oh right prog= good
nvm then carry on

/asshole

also, to further the argument, I like what I've heard of this more than 3's latest album

zomfg burn the heretic

Edited by heyitsthatguy - October 22 2007 at 00:04

SilverEclipse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 10:26
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I havne't heard it... but reading some of you all's feedback, I remember the sages amoung us here said any prog tendencies on the last album would be ratcheted down on the next one to hit a wider audience.  I guess they were right. Remember this is the 70's anymore... it isn't about art and progressing as artists.. it is about making who signs the checks happy and that means selling albums to wider audiences.  

there is very little pop on here dude.  this thing isn't going triple platinum.  this is a hell of a progression for Coheed, they've been trying to get this sound down since their first album and they got it here.  So what if it doesn't sound like 70s prog? 
"and if the band your in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon"
yoel? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 17:27
the entire album is up on their myspace now, every single track of it
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 23:32
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

/\ what I've heard of IV pt. 2 is just generally BETTER, so who cares if it's prog?

Really?

I think it's easily their worst album. I like it more with each listen, but I think they regressed musically here.

Edited by Moatilliatta - October 24 2007 at 23:33
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 21:13
I'm listening to it right now.  It's easily as good as their others.

What annoys me is that the only options are the deluxe package with the DVD (I don't have a DVD player, not a high priority for me) and a bare-bones edition with the CD and nothing else.  I don't know about you all, but I like having a booklet with art, lyrics and recording info.  At least it has a link to their website where the above fetish material can be found.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
 Post Reply Post Reply