Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKarda Estra - Eve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Karda Estra - Eve
    Posted: November 04 2007 at 15:19
KARDA ESTRA - Eve

Karda Estra is another band I got to know through PA and I am still "studying" the works of Richard Willeman who is behind this project.
I started with Eve and the spell of this album has taken me in. One single word to describe it would be Beautiful. Borrowing as much from classical as from prog rock, this is a fabulous album that should get more attention here.

I'll give you their bio from here in PA as well as reviews:

The older I get, the more easily I’m surprised with new bands, KARDA ESTRA is an amazing group of British musicians from the late 90’s to the date, their music combines the dark spirit of the Eastern Europe ethnic sound present in the use of Bazouki and Rastrophone with the skills of the most pristine Symphonic Prog you can imagine expressed in complex and well developed orchestral arrangements that create an atmosphere of mystery and obscurity enhanced by the haunting chorals.

KARDA ESTRA is the brainchild of the multi instrumentalist and composer Richard Willeman who is obviously obsessed with the 1800’s Gothic Revival and created this Neo Classical – Progressive project to exploit that dark mood that we Progheads love so much.

Their main inspiration is so wide that goes from Romanian music from the Carpathian Mountains to Steve Hackett with who he shares that obsession with obscurity.

Since their debut, KARDA ESTRA constant members are Richard Willeman (classical, electric and bass guitars, keyboards, percussion, bouzouki, rastrophone and other exotic instruments), the wonderful and sometimes scary voice of Illesha Bailey, Rachel Larkins (viola, violin) and Zoe King (flute, alto saxophone and oboe) but always has counted with other excellent musicians to complete the band like Caron Hansford who plays oboe, cor anglais and bassoon, a luxury team.

The main theme in his albums is terror and reaches it’s peak with “Eve” based The Future Eve, written in 1886 by Villiers de L'Isle Adam about a scientist who creates a fiancée for his fiend Lord Ewald (2001) and Voivode Dracula of course based in the novel by Bram Stocker.

Didn’t had the chance to listen their latest album “The Age Of Science And Enlightenment” released a few months ago but it0’s one of the first thing I’m going to do in the next few days.

Symphonic nuts will love this band, essential!!!

Iván Melgar Morey - Perú

KARDA ESTRA — Eve

Review by Silk

5%20stars This is beautiful stuff that demands concentration. On first listen it can slide past too easily and seem a little bland. Once you're into it however the subtlety of the writing and playing becomes very clear and what seemed at first a "pleasant listen" becomes quite dark and brooding as befits the theme. Very highly recommended.

Posted Saturday, February 07, 2004, 01:51 EST | Permanent link

KARDA ESTRA — Eve

Review by progprinter2

4%20stars The term "Progressive Rock" is far too limiting for the UK based Karda Estra. Their latest album entitled "Eve" is an album firmly rooted in the classical/chamber music genre, yet encapsulates all that was wonderful about the 70's progressive rock scene.

Karda Estra is essentially a one man project, that being Richard Wileman who plays Classical, Electric and Bass Guitars, Keyboards and Percussion. He is joined by 5 ladies on the album. Ileesha Bailey on vocals, Helen Dearnley, Violin, Caron Hansford, Oboe, Zoe King, Flute, Alto Saxophone and Clarinet and Rachel Larkins, Viola and Violin.

Eve is inspired by a novel called "The Future Eve." It was written in 1886 by Villiers de L'Isle Adam. The album is not an adaptation of the book, rather an exploration of the overall feelings contained in the story.

I find the album to be as inspired and massive as the story suggests. With the intricacy of Renaissance's "Song Of Scheherazade," the album is one of the most emotionally stirring, atmospheric pieces of music I have heard in a very long time.

For those of you who enjoy straight Prog Rock with lots of keyboards and complex time signatures, you better pass this one up. But for those of us who realize that some of the finest in Prog stems from the Classical masters of old, pick up Karda Estra, a new album for a new era of Progressive Music.

We are all very pleased to have Karda Estra featured on the Progressive Music Society CD, "Portals, Movements & Structures."

"The door to good music is unlocked once more......."

Thanks for your time,

Lew Fisher

Posted Tuesday, March 15, 2005, 08:05 EST | Permanent link

More  reviews here:http://www.progreviews.com/reviews/display.php?rev=ke-evehttp://www.progressiveworld.net/kardaestra3.htmlhttp://www.progweed.net/reviews/kardaestra/kardaestra-band.htmlhttp://www.dprp.net/reviews/0204.htmHomepage - http://www.kardaestra.co.uk/http://www.myspace.com/kardaestra

1. An ordinary mortal (4:33)
2. Andraiad (8:27)
3. The pale ray (3:28)
4. Super electrical (4:40)
5. Eve (7:37)
6. Sparks that flash and fall (10:23)
7. Thoughts and silences (3:23)

Total Time: 42:35

Line-up/Musicians

- Ileesha Bailey / drums
- Helen Dearnley / violin
- Caron Hansford: oboe, English horn
- Rachel Larkins violin, viola
- Richard Wileman / classsic electric & bass
guitars, keyboards, percussion
- Zoe King / flute, alto sax, clarinet

Releases information

Cyclops - Cycl 104

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 13:32
Wow glad to see a thread about it, actually i have the cover of Eve in my msn avatar since 2 weeks ago, i really love this album which is full of beauty and great arrangements, i invite everyone to listen to this magnific band Clap

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 18:09
Bump....
Thanks Memo.
I need to re-acquaint myself with the other albums I have and also get the latest album as well.

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2007 at 17:39
Bump Tongue

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
 Post Reply Post Reply