Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPholas Dactylus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pholas Dactylus
    Posted: November 18 2007 at 21:39

It's been a while since I've heard their album (from what I can remember, the vocals were entirely narration), but I have recentley been reading a lot of reviews and just came across another on the home page.  It is rare that a review doesn't say something about the lyrics and how terrible they are....so I'm curious:  just what are they about?  How can they be that bad?  I'd appreciate it if any of our Italian friends could enlighten me.Smile

Signature Writers Guild on strike
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 10:40
Good question, I've wondered too.  I've read many times how awful the lyrics are but no one says what they actually say.....

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 22:13
Well, maybe Raffaella could enlighten us, because i do understand / speak, but just a little bit Italian, so its not enough for me, i cannot tell you about the lyrics.

Anyway i luckily got this album 2 or 3 months ago, and believe me that is very recommendable! 

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 22:27

^I'll take your word for it because I can't remember much about it (it's been a while since I heard this one...don't even remember how I heard itConfused).  So Pholas Dactylus is on my list with literally hundreds of Italian prog bands.

I'll have to ask Rafaella about those lyrics, thankfully it won't ruin the album for me because I don't know what's going on.

Signature Writers Guild on strike
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2007 at 00:55
Hello everybody! Smile As I have already told some of you in private, I don't have the Pholas Dactylus album at home, but it will be available to me in three weeks, when I finally get to fly to the US to see Micky again after three and a half monthsCryHeart.  I will always remember when I heard it for the first time - I even remember the situation, driving back from a national park in the Appalachians... I heard those lyrics, and I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry.

I'll be very happy to provide you with sample translations of the lyrics in question when they are available to me once again. For the time being, suffice it to say that the whole album - a concept, of course! - is based on some half-baked, science-fictionish tale conveyed in the most overwrought words I've heard in my language for some time. And obviously the vocal delivery matches the lyrical content.. This is one of those occasions in which you regret understanding the language, because the lyrics can spoil your enjoyment of some otherwise very good music.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2007 at 23:09
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

^I'll take your word for it because I can't remember much about it (it's been a while since I heard this one...don't even remember how I heard itConfused).  So Pholas Dactylus is on my list with literally hundreds of Italian prog bands.

I'll have to ask Rafaella about those lyrics, thankfully it won't ruin the album for me because I don't know what's going on.

love the album... a top 10'r for me from RPI land...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 17:46
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Hello everybody! Smile As I have already told some of you in private, I don't have the Pholas Dactylus album at home, but it will be available to me in three weeks, when I finally get to fly to the US to see Micky again after three and a half monthsCryHeart.  I will always remember when I heard it for the first time - I even remember the situation, driving back from a national park in the Appalachians... I heard those lyrics, and I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry.

I'll be very happy to provide you with sample translations of the lyrics in question when they are available to me once again. For the time being, suffice it to say that the whole album - a concept, of course! - is based on some half-baked, science-fictionish tale conveyed in the most overwrought words I've heard in my language for some time. And obviously the vocal delivery matches the lyrical content.. This is one of those occasions in which you regret understanding the language, because the lyrics can spoil your enjoyment of some otherwise very good music.

So, did you finally get the album? I am curious as well about the lyrics.

Good album, by the way Clap

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 17:48
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

hahahha.. oh no.. she's waiting until we combine our album collections to become  the pride of PA's hahhahah.  She'll never buy it when I have my gold-plated ...bronzed ..cheerished copy of the album LOL  I love that album.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 17:50
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahahha.. oh no.. she's waiting until we combine our album collections to become  the pride of PA's hahhahah.  She'll never buy it when I have my gold-plated ...bronzed ..cheerished copy of the album LOL  I love that album.

Ok then, you translate it ...

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 17:52

Ouch

good practice... I'll see what I can do.. .but I'm not promising anything.  Since we decided to move here and not there.. my Italian lessons have taken a back seat for awhile.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 17:59

Ouch

good practice... I'll see what I can do.. .but I'm not promising anything.  Since we decided to move here and not there.. my Italian lessons have taken a back seat for awhile.

Was just teasing you, didn't mean to touch a soft spot, sorry.
Just watch those movies Philippe mentioned in his blog as practice for now....
LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 18:03
I do need to get those movies damnit Angry LOL

Post Reply Post Reply