Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLobster Newberg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lobster Newberg
    Posted: November 23 2007 at 21:07
Following a thread about Myspace bands in Progressive Ears.com I came to know this talented young band from Chicago that play a very nice and warm prog-rock inspired by as they say themslves:
The Allman Brothers Band, Andromeda, Atomic Rooster, Bad Brains, BB King, The Beatles, The Bee Gees, Camel, Captain Beyond, Caravan, Deerhoof, Dixie Dregs, Frank Zappa, Fuzzy Duck, Gentle Giant, Hot Water Music, The Ides of March, John Coltrane, King Crimson, Leaf Hound, Led Zeppelin, Love, The Move, Miles Davis, Phish, The Pretty Things, The Raw Material, Roxy Music, Spooky Tooth, The Turtles, Umphrey's McGee, Van Der Graaf Generator, Wishbone Ash, Yes The Zombies

And sounds like according to them:
Van Der Graaf Generator, Atomic Rooster, King Crimson, Caravan, Camel, Umphrey's McGee, Dixie Dregs, Pink Floyd

Their Myspace bio:
LOBSTER NEWBERG
Biography
Lobster Newberg is serving up an innovative debut CD that will satisfy your musical appetite. These contemporary artists from Chicago suburbia are astounding audiences with their intuitive imagination, in a style reminiscent of Pink Floyd and King Crimson. Take finely tuned genres, blend them into a series of songs reeling with the technical ability of this unique band, and you have a sound for which we have long awaited. Constantly challenging themselves to produce music that is intriguingly inventive, they reach into unconventional territory. Lobster Newberg offers a modern concept in music which is hard to find today. While members all have different tastes in music, they create songs that are a breath of fresh air. Fans have found their music an unexpected welcome in a music scene that is stagnant. Colin Peterik who nimbly runs the keyboard also sings on the tracks. “Our music doesn’t age. Listen to it now or 20 years from now. It’ll still be new… it’ll still be fascinating.” Paradox, a track off their debut CD, Vernal Equinox, speaks to their wide range of musical interests and to the ability of Lobster Newberg to express it all in a complementing wave of synchronicity. And then there’s Happy Together, a refreshing rendition of The Turtles' classic tune, showing this band’s love of the past integrated with a modern conceptual approach. All the original songs are collaboratively written and deliver complex, multi-layered interlocking arrangements. It’s been far too long since we’ve seen this polished molding of sound and word. Once you try this recipe for Lobster Newberg, you’ll never go back to the same old thing again.

I bought their cd through their Myspace, will be reporting more when it comes.
GentleGiant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 14:28
Ordered  "Vernal Equinox". Great expectations Thumbs%20Up
BeGiantForADay

"This British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity,progress and originality in their mix."

http://rateyourmusic.com/~GentleG
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 14:35
According to their bio at least, they might be eminently suited to Eclectic Prog. We'll definitely watch this one!Thumbs%20Up
Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 14:37
Whoa who would have thought, I had one of their tunes set as my Myspace profile song about a year ago! Great band, haven't ordered their CD yet though.
Beauty will save the world.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2007 at 16:59
Given that they have a CD for sale, and we have sharpened the rules for Released/Unreleased, I suspect this band needs to be moved out of Unsigned, into Suggest new Bands/Artists.

Any objections?
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2007 at 17:37
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Given that they have a CD for sale, and we have sharpened the rules for Released/Unreleased, I suspect this band needs to be moved out of Unsigned, into Suggest new Bands/Artists.

Any objections?

Great idea!

Which genre team should deal with this? Symphonic?

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 01:54
Symphonic or Eclectic, from what I read (haven't listened yet). Let's ask Guigo to move the thread, like he did with J'Accuse earlier this week.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 02:31
I've just finished listening to the three samples, and I would even say they might be suitable for Heavy Prog - at least on the strength of "Lloyd", which reminded me of bands such as Atomic Rooster or even Deep Purple. However, I'd like to listen to something more, if it were possible, so that we are sure we are finding the best possible placement for the band.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 07:59
I will receive the album soon and let you "know"

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 13:16
Moved for a possible inclusion evaluation. Approve
Guigo

~~~~~~
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 11:59

To the genre teams, please see my thread in the collab zone.

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 16:16
CD on order, and I think I noticed that inclusion in Eclectic is only a bio away...
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 11:09
Well - the CD arrived in the mail this morning, and I must say it's quite enjoyable. The first track goes straight into Dark Side of the Moon territory (quite a resemblance to Eclipse in the vocal melody).
An amazing listen - and inclusion in Eclectic is underway, or so it seems....
ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply