Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Harpeth Trace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Harpeth Trace
    Posted: December 10 2007 at 23:05
Anyone heard of these guys? I picked up their debut EP 'Man and the Cousin' a few weeks ago. A little bit psych, a little folk, a little indie and obvious Mojave Desert influences. They sound a little bit like Dead Meadow.

Home Page

mySpace

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 17:21
Enjoying the music (listening to it now -- good folk/ psych etc.); I'd never heard of them before.  Dead Meadow's in psych, what would be the best place for The Harpeth Trace if they were to be included, do you think?

Influences: bill fay; elvin jones; the zombies; sibylle baier; leonard cohen; scott walker; the rolling stones; beach house; the clientele; jennifer gentle; the left banke; jim white; galaxie 500; mo tucker; watt; mutantes; macca; serge gainsbourg; six organs of admittance; jalan manoped; the kinks
Just a fanboy passin' through.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 22:20
These guys are a bit hard to place.  I found this CD in a used book store and its kind of growing on me.  I've looked for more from them but I think this is it (at least for now).  All the members now have, or have had, other projects though.  I may check out some of those.

I think psych would be the best place (if they belong here, which I'm not quite sure of), but am hoping some others out there have heard them and have opinions.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
th_bojangle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 12:34
Just heard an advance release of their new (Feb 5, 2008) album and am trying to dig up more info on them. As reported on parasitesandsycophants.blogspot.com:

When The Harpeth Trace sat down to put their ambitious, vintage daydream pop to tape, singer/songwriter Josh Kasselman was growing increasingly morose and distant. His already unpredictable song structures were now arriving accompanied by narcotic, ephemeral lyrics – choice material for sure, but also a sign of the spiritual collapse on the horizon. With the encouragement of engineer/co-producer Raymond Richards (Brian Jonestown Massacre, Mojave 3, The Broken West), the band completed the recording of its debut album, On Disappearing, in December of 2006. Before 2007 had arrived, though, Kasselman had boarded a plane to Bangkok, and would spend the next half-year wandering the hills and streets of Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia. Undeterred, Harpeth Trace drummer Rob Poynter (Correatown, The Idaho Falls, Frankel) and bassist/guitarist Barry Poage (Monster) got together to finish mixing the album at Richards’ Red Rockets Glare studio. They eventually lured their singer back to U.S. shores with the final product – an engrossingly existential 35 minutes that seem to live outside of the realms of time and place. Evoking shades of The Zombies, Bill Fay, Galaxie 500, The Left Banke, Skip Spence, Dungen, and The Clientele, On Disappearing alternates seamlessly between psychedelic immediacy and winsome melancholy. The album reaches shelves on February 5th.

the upcoming tour schedule looks like this:

January 26 @ Young Art Gallery –  Los Angeles, CA
January 27 @ Hemlock Tavern – San Francisco, CA
January 29 @ Rotture – Portland, OR
January 30 @ Someday Lounge – Portland, OR
January 31 @ ABC House – Olympia, WA
February 01 @ TBA – Seattle, WA
February 02 @ The Ike Box – Salem, OR
February 03 @ The Firehouse/UC Davis
– Davis, CA
February 04 @ www.killradio.org – “…IS GOOD" with John Hershfield
February 05 @ Safari Sam's – Los Angeles, CA