Topic Closedmike rutherford

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: mike rutherford
    Posted: March 21 2005 at 13:48

he has one the the most varied bass sounds and patterns: he is VERY underrated!

Edited by greenback
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Swinton MCR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 14:23

Possibly - but Genesis was always so flowery and feminine - especially on Trespass and Nursery Cryme, Hackett thought it was feminine thus the bass is not as booming and driving as Rush and Yes...Thus he's not regarded as a top Bassist.....

He isn't as good as Squire/Lee - everybody knows that !!!

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 03:23

Truly one of the most under-rated musicians in progressive rock - bass guitar, 12 string guitar, moog taurus bass pedals, acoustic 6 & 12 string, backing vocals - not to mention one of the truly great rock noses; but then again, he has to bow down to Geddy Lee on that front too.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Jim Prog Wizard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 13:50
Rutherford is IMO criminally underrated as a bassist.  Just listen to the bass on "Get 'em Out By Friday" and "Fountain of Salmacis".  Not to mention live recordings, he went all-out for them eg "Firth of Fifth" on Second's Out.
"Progressive Rock is the ultimate form of music" (Mikael Akerfeldt, 2003)
Zero the hero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 13:59
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

I think Chris Squire to be the most unusual bass player.I note that he seems to play upper bass notes a lot,i think i remember an interview with Bill bruford where as he mentioned that he had quite a hard time keeping up with Squire's playing technique.Maybe i'm wrong...Any Yes fans to confirm this?

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 14:09
His first solo album is pretty decent, at least with regard to the 'smallcreep's day' suite.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
slipperman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 08:02

Originally posted by Jim Prog Wizard Jim Prog Wizard wrote:

Rutherford is IMO criminally underrated as a bassist.  Just listen to the bass on "Get 'em Out By Friday" and "Fountain of Salmacis".  Not to mention live recordings, he went all-out for them eg "Firth of Fifth" on Second's Out.

Nice to see Rutherford getting proper respect! He is often not given due credit, but when you're in a band with one of the world's best guitarists (Hackett), drummers (Collins), keyboardists (God...err...Banks) and frontmen (Gabriel), you can see how he'd be left out now and again. Jim Prog Wizard points out some of the man's finest bass moments, but I'd also point to "Can-Utility And The Coastliners", which wins as much for the crushing Squire-like tone as it does for the lines he's playing.

...it is real...it is Rael...
Jim Prog Wizard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 00:29

Agreed, I love the super-fast bass doodle he does after the acoustic guitar mid-section in "Can Utility".

Also, "Afterglow" on Seconds Out.  His bass line over the outro is exquisite - not complex, just beautiful. 

"Progressive Rock is the ultimate form of music" (Mikael Akerfeldt, 2003)
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 00:37
Lets not forget the simplistic lead guitar either as in Abacab. You also have to listen to his solo ' Acting very Strange' to realize how frigging versatile he is. Highlight on bass though would have to be Dance on a Volcanoe and Squonk off TOTT. Very underrated and one of the most stabilising influences in the band, probably the main broker of peace between Collins and Banks too.
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 00:57

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Truly one of the most under-rated musicians in progressive rock - bass guitar, 12 string guitar, moog taurus bass pedals, acoustic 6 & 12 string, backing vocals - not to mention one of the truly great rock noses; but then again, he has to bow down to Geddy Lee on that front too.

If we're talking noses, then Geddy would have to bow to Pete Townshend! 

Ben2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 02:43

Originally posted by Jim Prog Wizard Jim Prog Wizard wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly. And don't forget his ultra-groovy bass lines in "The Lamb..." (the song) and "I Know What I Like". Yes, his style is certainly similar to, and probably partially inspired by, Chris Squire, but I like his playing, AND that classic Rickenbacker tone, a whole lot.

jazzpiranha View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2005 at 11:19
Much love to Mike Rutherford and his subtle and tasteful musicianship. He was a guitarist turned bassist, so I'm sure his approach to bass playing was more melodic and musical than the conventional groovin'.  Plus he had Phil Collins (most definitely the best musician in the band) driving his talents into uncharted territories.  His tone was the best on "Selling England", one reason that it's my favorite Genesis album, quite possibly my favorite album of all time.  Mike Rutherford was also one of few bassists/guitarists that ALWAYS kept his thumb on the back of the neck, (not that I'm downing Jack Bruce, Geddy Lee, or Chris Squire).  Of course Geddy and Squire are awesome, but being a great musician is about doing what is best for the music (some of Squire's noodling in "Yessongs" can give me a migraine).  Whether it's the fast runs in "Get Em' Out By Friday", the 8th note pulse of "Abacab", or the 13/8 groove of "Robbery, Assault and Battery", Mike Rutherford always kept it together!

Edited by jazzpiranha
Kiss My Kerosene!
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2005 at 11:27

Originally posted by jazzpiranha jazzpiranha wrote:

Much love to Mike Rutherford and his subtle and tasteful musicianship. He was a guitarist turned bassist, so I'm sure his approach to bass playing was more melodic and musical than the conventional groovin'.  Plus he had Phil Collins (most definitely the best musician in the band) driving his talents into uncharted territories.  His tone was the best on "Selling England", one of a few reasons that it's my favorite Genesis album, quite possibly my favorite album of all time.  Mike Rutherford was also one of few bassists/guitarists that ALWAYS kept his thumb on the back of the neck, (not that I'm downing Jack Bruce, Geddy Lee, or Chris Squire).  Of course Geddy and Squire are awesome, but being a great musician is about doing what is best for the music (some of Squire's noodling in "Yessongs" can give me a migraine).  Whether it's the fast runs in "Get Em' Out By Friday", the 8th note pulse of "Abacab", or the 13/8 groove of "Robbery, Assault and Battery", Mike Rutherford always kept it together!

i always believed that ruth's bass make the solid and complex genesis' foundations.

[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
alchemist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 14:07
Ruthenford is great... HE WAS IN GENESIS, possibly one of the worlds most gifted rock bands in history!!!! he always did a great job on bass, and on 12 strings as well... listen to fountain od salamancis nad you'll find out how good he is!!

no great genius has existed without a touch of madness...
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 15:11
Top musician - I was watching a live recording of Genesis earlier and it's quite funny how during Steve Hackett's solo the camera is just on Mike playing some chords - I guess Hackett sitting motionless on a chair didn't look so interesting?
gleam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 15:19
Originally posted by Zero the hero Zero the hero wrote:

Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

I think Chris Squire to be the most unusual bass player.I note that he seems to play upper bass notes a lot,i think i remember an interview with Bill bruford where as he mentioned that he had quite a hard time keeping up with Squire's playing technique.Maybe i'm wrong...Any Yes fans to confirm this?

Bill Bruford said he created his famous trademark "rimshot" off of the snare drum just in order to stand out from Squire.

gleam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 15:33

PS. Has anyone noticed that their is a Mike Rutherford listed in the membership area with the genesis website as a reference?

OldFatherThames View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 16:53
Mike Rutherford is like everybody say VERY underrated. Not only like a bass player, but like a guitarist two. His work for Genesis with bass and 12 string guitar is absolutely essential for the band. Not only Rutherford, but also Phil Collins, who I think is also very underrated just because people don't like him to sing some poppy stuff. I'm not a very hard fan of the Collins era, but I'm a HUGE fan of the Gabriel era, and really, Phil Collins is an excellent drummer ! He sure is on my top three favorite drummer. Just listen at cinema show......I love the drum part in the piano solo !!!
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 02:14
i cant imagin genesis with anyone else but rutherford on bass.he is
simply amazing. do you think genesis would settle for anything less than
an amazing player?
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 15:24

Yes. He is very underrated both as bassist and as guitarist. But he is a very good musician. Maybe he was "forced" a bit to be the bassist in Genesis. But he always combined very good the use of the bass, the 12 string guitar and the bass pedals. I think that it is not easy to play guitar while you play bass pedals. He also was a very good composer in Genesis.

Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>