25 [53.19%]
22 [46.81%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Sell out" vs Natural artistic direction
    Posted: January 07 2008 at 07:16
Do you consider 80's works of Genesis, Yes, etc. as a "sell out", or just as a natural artistic change?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 07:43
I'd say it was a natural artistic change, as neither Yes or Genesis went straight from prog to pop, but made a couple of transitional albums with both prog and pop influences, so the direction to pop was pretty clear.

But really it depends on whether they decided to make more commercial music to sell more records or was it the kind of music they wanted to make at that time.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 08:12
As much as I love Genesis, I think they sold out in the 80's. I've listened to Tony Banks trying to explain that all the Genesis trademarks are still there, on tracks like 'No reply at all' and his arguments dont really stand up. He just sounds like a politician trying to wriggle out of tight spot. The fact is, they wanted bigger audiences, and in order to achieve this they had to write more commercial music; music that was radio friendly, could be sung along to, and danced to. I actually enjoy a lot of their 80's music, but I dont think it's accurate to describe it as a natural artistic progression. They made some great pop, but with the exception of a few tracks, thats all it really was.

It's different with Yes. 90125 was a defining 80's album, and I feel they sold out a lot less than Genesis did in making that record. It helped them a great deal, working with Trevor Horn. 90125 is quite a groundbreaking album IMO. Much of the music is quite heavy (Hold On, City of Love etc) but given an 'Art of Noise' treatment. Even as a metal fan at the time, I loved this album and thought it was very fresh and even 'arty' sounding. I'd not really heard anything else in the 80's quite like it. It's the album that put me on to Yes. Rick Wakemen also thought it a great album, and has said he would have loved to have been part of it.

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:09
I think both factors.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:12
Genesis seemed more sell-out-ish than Yes, in my opinion.

However, selling out in itself is a sort of natural artistic direction.

Edited by Philéas - January 07 2008 at 11:12
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:13
Originally posted by Phil�as Phil�as wrote:

Genesis seemed more sell-out-ish than Yes, in my opinion.

However, selling out in itself is a sort of natural artistic direction.

It's not natural anymore...
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:24
It depends. It may very well be.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 12:13
With Yes it was kind of both.  With Genesis it was sell out.
Hat of Truth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 13:19
Sell out.
They wanted to sell records, so when Peter and Steve left, they had to go to a more radio-friendly way of music.

I really don't have any opinion about Yes.

Edited by Hat of Truth - January 07 2008 at 13:19
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 13:48
Sold out. It was no longer Genesis when Peter left it was Philesis. I read recently where Steve was going to leave the band earlier as well but his g/f asked him to stay.
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 19:37
Can somebody give me a solid definiton of selling out?
This may be harder then a definition for progressive rock.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 21:07
"Selling Out" originally meant casting off artistic ideals for Mainstream sucess. However, since the first "Sell Out" was Bob Dylan, that definition lost any real meaning in 1965.
What?
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 11:13

...as if they were going to release Selling England Part II in 1983.  You just couldn't make the same type of music anymore and stay alive - they had to adapt to survive, whether or not the results hold up.

Signature Writers Guild on strike
khammer99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 13:06
 Interesting... How often is a band thought to have sold out, because they went in a different musical direction? Are they branded Sell Outs because their hard core fans don't like the musical  direction they took?

Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has

been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.

- Terry Pratchett
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 23:47
Originally posted by khammer99 khammer99 wrote:

Interesting... How often is a band thought to have sold out, because they went in a different musical direction? Are they branded Sell Outs because their hard core fans don't like the musical  direction they took?

Well, i think you have to look at what sort of change in musical direction a band went for. Using an example, not particularly prog related, but a good example nonetheless, metallica. From their First album to Master of Puppets, quite clearly their sound had changed from their earlier 1982-83 days. But this album had showcased a great progression in the bands compositional abilities and technical skill, so in this case, it was a natural artistic direction. But in the case of the Black Album (1991),  again, a different musical direction, but this time around, the compositions became (IMO and many others) became rather dull and the level of technical ability to execute the songs had clearly dropped off a fair bit. In the case of the Black Album, it was a case of Bob Rock pushing the band into a sound that could appeal to more mainstream metallers and in general more metallers, as opposed to Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning and MOP which at their respective times had fan bases mainly rooted in Thrash metal fans.

As for Genesis and Yes, im willing to say Genesis clearly sold out in the end, while Yes certainly moved to a more poppy sound, it never seemed quite as geared to the pop market as Genesis' poppier releases.
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 03:09
Selling-out isn't just a style change. It's the watering down or otherwise drastic alteration of a band's music for the express purpose to increase popularity and/or sell more albums. Money money money!
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
Aristilus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 05:19
I think Genesis sold out in a big way. I dont think Yes did to the same extent. Phil Collins craved sucess in the singles chart, whereas, Yes, apart from "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" carried on with making great albums.
khammer99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 15:08
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

Selling-out isn't just a style change. It's the watering down or otherwise drastic alteration of a band's music for the express purpose to increase popularity and/or sell more albums. Money money money!

If a band doesn't sell enough albums, they go bankrupt, just like any other business. If enough bands don't sell enough albums, then record companies do not invest in "fringe" prog bands, that everybody seems to like around here. How much money is a band allowed to make? You need define what you mean by "sell out".
 I don't like popular music (Brittney Spears, Rap, Hip Hop, etc). But there are "popular" bands that I like (Led Zeppelin, BOC, etc). If a band sells there music to sell cars, soap, vacations, so what? Musicians don't get to eat?
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has

been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.

- Terry Pratchett
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 15:50
natural artistic direction. they did not sell out. they just wanted to try a new music style.
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 15:52
Originally posted by khammer99 khammer99 wrote:

Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

If a band doesn't sell enough albums, they go bankrupt, just like any other business. If enough bands don't sell enough albums, then record companies do not invest in "fringe" prog bands, that everybody seems to like around here. How much money is a band allowed to make? You need define what you mean by "sell out".
 I don't like popular music (Brittney Spears, Rap, Hip Hop, etc). But there are "popular" bands that I like (Led Zeppelin, BOC, etc). If a band sells there music to sell cars, soap, vacations, so what? Musicians don't get to eat?

You completely missed my point. Making money is not the bad thing here, it's the compromise of musical and artistic integrity.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>