FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime appreciation thread~!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 43>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anime appreciation thread~!
    Posted: November 20 2023 at 15:03
Watching Azumanga Daioh. Osaka is me fr
D~B
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 16:58
Bump! Any anime fans still around?

This was probably the year I saw the most series. I enjoyed watching some lighter stuff during lockdown, including a few musical ones. Your Lie in April was excellent even if a bit predictable. Kono Oto Tomare has a good story but I didn't connect with most characters.

I'm currently watching Sound! Euphonium and I was very surprised to hear a marching band rendition of YMO:

Jonathan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 15:59
I've been watching Himouto Umaru-Chan lately, which is hilarious. I've also been watching Pop Team Epic and I like that too but not as much as Umaru Chan. Also while Pop Team Epic is good IMHO it is a little overrated to me because of the second half of each episode being hardly different from the first half.

Edited by Jonathan - June 10 2018 at 16:01
"Do not do to others as you don't want done to yourself."- Confucius
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2016 at 18:06
I have so much anime on my plate before I get around to watching it, but it's one I'm going to check out, eventually. 
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2016 at 16:42
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Originally posted by doompaul doompaul wrote:

Not the biggest fan, but Tokyo Ghoul was pretty good. The first season, anyway.

That's been on my radar for a while now.  Is the second season no good?
I never got around to seeing it. I think the channel I was watching it on got shut down by the interwebz police. I was pretty impressed with the first season, though. It was actually pretty disturbing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2016 at 16:35
Originally posted by doompaul doompaul wrote:

That's been on my radar for a while now.  Is the second season no good?
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 16:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 16:28
^I'll probably get around to them next week sometime.  I've read good and bad about MS, so we'll see.  The cyberpunk setting is really what drew me in, initially.  

I went on a bit of a BR/DVD buying binge again a few days ago and ordered Ergo Proxy (BR), Parasyte (BR), Un-Go (BR), Solty Rei (DVD) and Ghost Hunt (DVD).
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 23:02
Mardock Scramble? I think I've seen that one (on the big screen) and, if I'm not mistaking with another movie I saw on the same evening, it's... a bit extravagant for my taste.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 20:03
Been awhile since anyone posted in this thread.  

Anyway, I've watched a few more series in the past couple of months and have a few more on the way.  I watched Gungrave, Robotics;Notes, and currently watching Jormungand.

Gungrave was surprisingly decent, although nothing crazy special about it.  Just a good crime anime.

RN was a bit disappointing as I read that it was a pretty good mystery anime and what was revealed was kind of lame.  Not terrible, but not great.

Jormungand is fan-freaking-tastic, so far.  Excellent gun anime in a similar vein to Black Lagoon and in ways to Stand Alone Complex (the whole team aspect).

After I finish that, I ordered Heat Guy J, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, and the Mardock Scramble movie trilogy.  I pretty much dove head first with these choices without much prior knowledge of them.  I watched trailers for all three and they each seemed pretty interesting, so I figured what the hell. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 17:00
^I'd love for Monster to get a decent release on this side of the Pacific.  And on that note, Funimation is finally giving both seasons of Code Geass and Ergo Proxy blu ray releases this fall.  Time to replace my dvd copies now...
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 08:57
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I finished Monster yesterday, and rated it 10/10 on MAL. Complex plot, amazing characters (and lots of them), no fillers and very entertaining. It really didn't seem like 74 episodes long.

Yeah, Monster is a good show. I watched it many years ago and really enjoyed it.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 06:14
I finished Monster yesterday, and rated it 10/10 on MAL. Complex plot, amazing characters (and lots of them), no fillers and very entertaining. It really didn't seem like 74 episodes long.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 15:55
The Psycho Pass movie was damn good and picked up sometime after the second season, although I doubt this will be the end of the franchise because this wasn't really any kind of a climax or anything to the story.  There's still plenty that could be done with it. 

And I'm starting to venture into the Ghibli Studio movies now, having ordered Castle In The Sky and Nausicaa.  I'm picking up My Neighbor Totoro today and I already have Princess Mononoke, which is one of the best movies I've ever seen, anime or not.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2016 at 14:17

Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

I'm told that the movie is more of a sequel to the first season than the second season is, but I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know that for sure.

They just want people to forget its existence lol.

And I don't understand that, because I think it's a great addition to the franchise.

I'm re-watching both Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop and I'm reminded how awesome Watanabe is.  The characters, atmospheres, settings, music, etc.  All perfect.  The voice of Steven Blum always helps, too.

1. They would agree with you, but it's just that they do NOT want any pieces of sh*t that are a part of the franchise...which they think the second season is, so...

2. Also, I only got into 10 episodes of Samurai Champloo and NOTHING from Cowboy Bebop (despite actually owning the damn series LOL). I've enjoyed what I saw of the former, though I may need a redo to refresh myself and whatnot, especially because I was THAT lazy back in the winter of this year.
Progrockdude
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 21:26
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Don't know if this has been said but Mushi-shi is fantastic. Basically the progressive rock equivalent to anime.
I love Mushi-shi but I don't get the comparison. I'd compare it more to minimalism or ambient or some such.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 19:14
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

I'm told that the movie is more of a sequel to the first season than the second season is, but I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know that for sure.

And I don't understand that, because I think it's a great addition to the franchise.

I'm re-watching both Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop and I'm reminded how awesome Watanabe is.  The characters, atmospheres, settings, music, etc.  All perfect.  The voice of Steven Blum always helps, too.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 10:40

Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 10:39
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Don't know if this has been said but Mushi-shi is fantastic. Basically the progressive rock equivalent to anime.

Hmmmmm, interesting comparison. Care to have a spoiler-free explanation?
Progrockdude
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2016 at 20:59
http://fryingpanmedia.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 43>