This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virgin Black poll & discussion
    Posted: February 15 2008 at 09:20
VIRGIN BLACK

In light of their coming new release in the Requiem Trilogy (Fortissimo), I thought this is a good occasion for this poll and discussion. Personally I don't like their new offering Fortissimo much, especially given what they've accomplished before (though as a stand alone it's not bad, but nothing remarkable).

Still with all that they've made, I find myself going back to their tow first full-length albums. Two remarkable pieces of experimental music.

Music and spirit of the band:

Weird, quirky, left-field, out-there, avant-garde, experimental; all of these are some of the descriptions that Virgin Black has received alongside with doom-metal, gothic-metal. But those latter ones are misleading as they miss the true spirit of this band, which is beyond being simply a metal band. They have surpassed this and are creating an original sound which metal is one attribute in it, but not necessarily the main one. This is even more true when you look at their upcoming Requiem release in which one is a full blown orchestral piece without any modern instruments within it.

Somber, extremely dark to the point of being depressive, mostly slow and heavy (although there are faster and more energetic parts); those describe well the mood of their two full length releases – Sombre Romantic and Elegant… And Dying. The metal element is there for sure, but there are many acoustic passages in which the piano or cello give the general feel and the vocals complement with their anguish tone and the appropriate lyrics. There is a sort of majestic feel to those albums (primarily due to the choir – the band and guests chanting – and the cello, flute, piano and other keyboards. Aside of the usual rock instrumentation, there are the cello (played by Samantha Escarbe along with the lead guitar), piano and the bands choir vocals. Here is the place to mention Rowan London’s vocals. While I personally like them and think that his tortured voice fits the music perfectly, it can deter people. Hard to describe, but they are deep and sound as if he is in pain (or as I mentioned, tortured).

Background and releases:

Virgin black is an Australian band from Adelaide. They released a self-titled demo in 1995 and had a big success even outside of their hometown and it lead to three of the tracks there appear there to be on the “Falling On Deaf Ears” compilation. The track Mother Of Cripples was even played in their 2003 shows. It is scheduled to be re-released and is reported to be of high recording quality.

1998 saw the release of their EP Trance. As is said in the band’s website: ““Trance” represented a progression toward the experimental with classical and industrial angles becoming evident.” It has been remastered and expenaded.

In 2001 the band released an album that took many by surprise. The originality and the mixed sadness and rage that flow from this album caught the attention in the metal world and beyond, receiving many praises in magazines. Five years in the making, this reflected the investment the band members put into this. London, Escarbe and Ian Miller (bass, vocals) produced and partly mixed this album and Samantha created the art-work for the album (as well as for the next release). The band’s website says: “London and Escarbe have described the concepts on the album as revolving predominantly around “the dichotomy of tragedy and hope” with each song or piece having both an individual and relative meaning.” The success of this album lead to record deals with Massacre and The End Records.

Two years later Elegant… and Dying came out (2003). It continued in the path of its predecessor, and yet did not blatantly repeat it. It is elaborate, complex, as dark as before and captivating. The band’s website says this: ““Elegant…and dying” showcases an astonishingly deep conceptual slant by simultaneously exploring two unique and individual themes in unison, with one being a direct continuation and expansion of that on “Sombre Romantic” its predecessor. The album has an approachable façade that progressively spirals into what reviewers deemed “a more eclectic, unconventional and challenging” experience, a work of art to be admired as much as enjoyed.”

But the band is ambitious… and this ambition will be shown in 2007 by the release of 3 albums which were worked on simultaneously, all following a basic theme – a requiem.
Here is the band’s description of this project:

Requiem - pianissimo is an entirely classical album with instrumentation performed by the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra, and featuring spectacular choral arrangements along with tenor, mezzo-soprano and soprano solo voices. "Requiem - pianissimo" forsakes guitars and drums in favour of the melancholic tragedy and bombastic dynamics of classical composition.

Requiem - mezzo forte is where the band joins the orchestra and strikes a balance more reminiscent of previous Virgin Black outings, albeit, with greater epic breadth.

Requiem - fortissimo unleashes a sound infinitely heavier than anything in Virgin Black's history. While still retaining an air of classical sensibility, it concludes the series with an intense dose of death/doom.

This is one of the most interesting and original bands active currently. Highly recommended to people who like their music filled with anguish, despair, sadness etc; people who like challenging music who does not conform; people who are not afraid of metal, since there are some extreme metal parts, including some black metal influenced parts; and people who like incorporation of classical music elements in their musical diet.

Current lineup:
Rowan London - Vocals, piano, and keyboard
Samantha Escarbe - Lead guitar, cello
Grayh - Bass, vocals
Luke Faz - Drums

Previous band members:
Dino Cielo - Drums
Craig Edis - Guitar, vocals
Ian Miller - Bass, vocals
Aaron Nicholls - Bass
Brad Bessel - Bass

ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 11:02
Finally a poll I can finally vote in. Going to go with 'Mezzo Forte'. Not impressed with the new album, how about you?

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 11:05
Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

Not impressed with the new album, how about you?

That's what I wrote in my first post; I don't think too much of it.

(It's also clearly shown in the review I wrote)

I plan on doing an interview with them, provided they won't be mad at my review.... LOL though we did converse by email several times before, so....

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 14:46
This thread is sinking faster than a rock in quicksand.... so BUMP

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 20:42
Ahem....
Smile

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 16:01
^^ sorry Assaf, I wish I could add something meaningful...I was recently put onto them via another forum (Embarrassed) and have heard their Myspace stuff...interesting..quite difficult to categorize...I might well check them out in more detail in the future, but the list grows ever longer....Ouch
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply