Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSkeleton Crew

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skeleton Crew
    Posted: February 22 2008 at 00:23
Friends...I come to you with two issues.

First, a question: Which member of SC (meaning Frith or Cora) does the majority of singing (if either of them does a significant amount more than the other)? Or...who sings the lead part on songs like It's Fine, The Hand That Bites, The Border (the main/solo voice part), and/or The Way Things Fall (Back Apart)?

Secondly, I searched and found nothing about the crew so I figured it's about time for an appreciation thread about these guys. I've recently re-listened to both of their albums and I gotta say for the most part it's fantastic stuff. Great musicianship, musical ideas that are creative/exciting, wonderful interplay, full on doses of RIO/Avant-Garde, catchy melodies, humor...what more can you ask for? I also find great inspiration in the fact that it's two/three people playing all those instruments and contraptions and being able to make it sound as good as it does (as someone who is trying to become a better musician and trying to see how much I can do myself).

So please, fans, enthusiasts, the curious...gather around, discuss, enjoy and spread the love for Skeleton Crew.

Edited by Man With Hat - February 22 2008 at 00:23
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 12:48
No-one responded? =(

I can't pick out who's singing, but I love this band as I love all of Frith's projects where he gets to write songs. It's good to hear avant-garde rock music which limits itself, rather than tries to break established limits, because the songs are so very often better.

Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 16:46
This is one band/project I really need to hear.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 19:24
Frith's the main vocalist.  If you compare it to his other albums you can tell.  Love his quirky singing style.  And just to make you insanely jealous, I saw them play in Atlanta with Zeena, twice!  The second show was an all improv affair.  During one of the breaks we (the audience and me) started doing some polyrhythmic clapping rather than the standard audience clap.  It was awesome!

FYI, for those who don't know already, Tom Cora died in '98.

Also, they all played multiple instruments at a time live.  Wonder if there's any film or video of them in concert out there somewhere...

I didn't know or had forgotten about the existence of the Country of Blinds until the double CD came out.  What a treat!

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 22 2008 at 19:29
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 23:07

Although im a RIO fanatic, I've yet to hear all these HC offshoots, with SC being one of them.

I'll try to include their 2-in-1 CD in one of my next orders. They're fantastic I've heard!
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 09:23
Just visited Fred's site:

Coming soon on Fred Records:

Technology of Tears (Music for Dance Volume 1)
Art of Memory II (early 80s weirdness with John Zorn)

I have ToT, it's very good and weird.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 17:54
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Frith's the main vocalist.  If you compare it to his other albums you can tell.  Love his quirky singing style.  And just to make you insanely jealous, I saw them play in Atlanta with Zeena, twice!  The second show was an all improv affair.  During one of the breaks we (the audience and me) started doing some polyrhythmic clapping rather than the standard audience clap.  It was awesome!

FYI, for those who don't know already, Tom Cora died in '98.

Also, they all played multiple instruments at a time live.  Wonder if there's any film or video of them in concert out there somewhere...

I didn't know or had forgotten about the existence of the Country of Blinds until the double CD came out.  What a treat!

Cool. Thanks.

Sadly I don't know that much of Friths discog. other than with Henry Cow. Just picked up Gravity (which is awesome BTW), and I think I have a guitar oriented album of his. But I agree...the voice combined with the semi-screaming/angry semi-singing is quite Cool.

That sounds like an amazing concert. I've tried to start an unusal clap at more mainstream affairs with little success. TongueOuch

I particularly like the bonus material on the 2CD set. Almost all of it is just as good as the real albums. Clap

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 17:56
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Although im a RIO fanatic, I've yet to hear all these HC offshoots, with SC being one of them.

I'll try to include their 2-in-1 CD in one of my next orders. They're fantastic I've heard!

Truth! Big%20smile

Probably my favorite HC offshoot, though I sadly haven't heard all too many.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 18:06
Actually I was just relistening to Country of Blinds and Cora has a more prominent vocal role than on Learn to Talk.

Post Reply Post Reply