Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTribute Bands; A Good or A Bad Thing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 07:07
I was at the Royal Scottish National Orchestra' gig recently playing Beethoven and Mozart. It struck me that they were a tribute band to a genre of music. Now I know that Beethoven did not have a chance to record his music to pass down to future generations, but no matter how often you listen to a record, nothing beats hearing the music played live. That is, in my opinion, the true worth of tribute bands.

On the down side, it is a shame that fans who turn up to see tribute bands do not seem to support original bands. I was at a Regenesis gig in Glasgow, and it was sold out (as usual) at a venue that holds 500. It was an excellent gig and I got talking to some young guys about how I had seen Genesis in 1973. They were very impressed with this. On the wall was a poster advertising The Flower Kings gig in a few weeks at the same venue. I told these young lads how good TFK were and that they should go. I never saw them there and there were probably only 200 fans at the gig. Little wonder that they have not been back! Regenesis sold out the next year again.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 07:14
When was this TT? I've seen ReGenesis a few times, but not for a few years, I thought they'd split some time ago??

Are they still going? If so, is Steve Marsh still on guitar??

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
TartanTantrum View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 10:44
I saw them every year for about 5 years the last show being 2005. Theri guitarist was called Andy I think - his first gig with the band being in Glasgow. Their web site says stay tuned. Last year I saw G2 (excellent) and I was talking to Piers LaDavison (keyboards and former ReGenesis) and he told me that Regenesis are not finished and that they would be back.

Edited by TartanTantrum - March 06 2008 at 10:46
enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 15:01
I've seen the Aussie Floyd 3 times (superb),
I've also seen Pink Fraud (ok, but on a much smaller scale)
and Stairway to Zeppelin (good fun, but again small scale).

I enjoy these tributes because it gives you the chance to hear the songs of your favourite bands played in a live context for a fairly cheap price (ok, the Aussies are £25, but it is worth it). Most of the genuine artists are either not touring or  disbanded or dead, so a tribute keeps the spirit alive.

My question is......
These tribute acts are making money by playing another bands songs, do they have to pay any form of performance royalties?
The Aussies regularly pack out 4,000 seater venues and although much of the money is fed back into the shows production (new lights each year Tongue), they must be making a decent living.
Add in the money from DVD and live CD sales......
do the real Floyd get a cut?

Edited by enigma - March 07 2008 at 15:03
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2008 at 12:56
Originally posted by enigma enigma wrote:

I've seen the Aussie Floyd 3 times (superb),
I've also seen Pink Fraud (ok, but on a much smaller scale)
and Stairway to Zeppelin (good fun, but again small scale).

I enjoy these tributes because it gives you the chance to hear the songs of your favourite bands played in a live context for a fairly cheap price (ok, the Aussies are £25, but it is worth it). Most of the genuine artists are either not touring or  disbanded or dead, so a tribute keeps the spirit alive.

My question is......
These tribute acts are making money by playing another bands songs, do they have to pay any form of performance royalties?
The Aussies regularly pack out 4,000 seater venues and although much of the money is fed back into the shows production (new lights each year Tongue), they must be making a decent living.
Add in the money from DVD and live CD sales......
do the real Floyd get a cut?

According to the Performing Right Society's website, a concert venue must get permission from the copyright holders before using copyright music in public. If the venue pays for a PRS Music Licence, this gives permission to play copyright music. 

"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2008 at 13:25
Originally posted by enigma enigma wrote:

The Aussies regularly pack out 4,000 seater venues... they must be making a decent living.

Same with The Musical Box - they regularly sell out major tours in the UK (including the Royal Albert Hall on more than one occasion); just goes to show, if you're a good tribute act, the demand is there to hear the music played well.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
ES335 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2008 at 22:51
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

it would be interesting to do a survey of tribute band musicians, to see how many, if given the choice would in fact prefer to put on a show, playing their own music, if they were convinced they could get the same number of people in through the doors... I suspect many of them would jump at the chance...

While I'm sure some of them would jump at the chance, I think a pretty high percentage are very happy with what they are doing. Good tribute bands are not simply cover bands. They go to a lot of trouble to recreate the experience, finding setlists, costuming, and most importantly to the prog fan, tracking down the same vintage equipment that the original artist used, be it guitar, bass, amp, keyboards, even using the same guage strings. If the original player used a custom instrument they try to get one built to the same specs, all so that the music sounds as close as possible to the original. These people are seriously dedicated to what they are doing, it isn't the kind of thing one does simply because there isn't anything better to do. They are essentially fanboys with talent.
Bible-thumping heavyweight evangelistic boxing kangaroo
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2008 at 05:12
My view has changed slightly since i saw a recent pink floyd tribute band,who decided to have a eastend london grime rapper,freestyling over run like hell and another brick in the wall.I was furious!
Then after the gig i overheard them talking about how another brick in the wall was a song about staying in education because its important WTF!!!
Vienna View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 16:26
I hate the idea of 'tribute bands' and the few I've seen have made me cringe. I couldn't see the point of them until I went to see The Purple Project at Riffs Bar. My god that was something else. These guys totally rocked and the audience loved them. What did this band have that others to my mind didn't? They just oozed love for the music, a bunch of really talented musicians and a singer who could actually sing rather than putting on a voice to try and match the original singers, that was the Purple Project's secret. Their enthusiasm spread and before you knew it you were hooked and it was great reliving those DP moments! I'm not sure I will be venturing out to see many other tribute bands but I'd definitely recommend the Purple Project to any DP fans out there. Their web page is www.classicpurple.com.
rhinn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2008 at 19:56
How can classical music be compared to tribute bands who only want to make a fast buck on nostalgia?

I can't believe so many people want to listen to poor subsitutes of real music?  Classical music was written aeons ago and should not come under the crime of tribute. As i said tribute bands only make money out of nostalgia not real music performance.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 07:34
Tribute bands can fill the gap where the original acts will never play for several reasons. I'm quite sure that an honest and fair tribute band gigging in, say, Brazil's Centre-West will raise money only for the trip and a  post-gig snack.
Guigo

~~~~~~
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 19:53
Re " tribute bands". I was talking to a friend about Trooper and Helix coming to a local club over the next few months. I mentioned how many of these groups usually just have one or two remaining original members. I told him of how Foghat was still around, but that only the bass player from the last good album onwards was still there.
Anyways, he said he'd read an article about tribute bands with a few comments from a Foghat tribute act. When asked what was the biggest problem they faced, he responded that it was being undercut on what they charged for a gig. "By other tribute acts ?" "No, by Foghat itself!"LOL
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
khammer99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 00:05
 Tribute bands are basically a rip off, and show a lack of imagination. I'm all for a band playing covers as part of their set, although for the most part, they brutalized the original song.
 Give me the original, or when I see a band, I like them to mix in some original stuff with the covers.
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has

been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.

- Terry Pratchett
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2008 at 10:30
Originally posted by ES335 ES335 wrote:

Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

it would be interesting to do a survey of tribute band musicians, to see how many, if given the choice would in fact prefer to put on a show, playing their own music, if they were convinced they could get the same number of people in through the doors... I suspect many of them would jump at the chance...

While I'm sure some of them would jump at the chance, I think a pretty high percentage are very happy with what they are doing. Good tribute bands are not simply cover bands. They go to a lot of trouble to recreate the experience, finding setlists, costuming, and most importantly to the prog fan, tracking down the same vintage equipment that the original artist used, be it guitar, bass, amp, keyboards, even using the same guage strings. If the original player used a custom instrument they try to get one built to the same specs, all so that the music sounds as close as possible to the original. These people are seriously dedicated to what they are doing, it isn't the kind of thing one does simply because there isn't anything better to do. They are essentially fanboys with talent.

you make a whole host of excellent points here, ES...Clap

while reading your description, the thought occurred to me that there is almost a parallel with the Early Music Scene, which has grown over the last 30 years, where conductors such as Trevor Pinnock, John Eliot Gardener and Paul McCreesh have supported the use of authentic replica instruments, and similar sized orchestras/ choirs to perform early music and baroque, in the manner in which it was intended, as opposed to a large orchestra more suited to Mahler, which makes early music sound 'mushy'.

this can loosely be called a 'tribute' I suppose, especially when you consider that they are involved in the historical analysis of late medieval documents and sheet music, to recreate something which was performed as Vespers on a specific Sunday, in Venice, in March 1643 (for instance...)

...a Monteverdi tribute act...Wink
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Axe/Hatchet/Saw View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2008 at 21:13

When I was working in Japan a few years back, I had the pleasure to attend some shows by Japanese bands doing progressive rock tributes:

Amsterdam (Red era King Crimson tribute band) - This is an awesome Japanese trio doing the impossibles. The guitarist was a combination of Robert Fripp's guitar and John Wetton's vocals.  The setlist was also a dream come true. They played Starless, One More Red Nightmare, Fallen Angel, Red and other songs from that period.

UnKnown (Japanese UK cover band) - This is a funny band. They kept on asking the audience to shout   U-K. The singer was a far cry from John Wetton but the female violinist was quite good.

Gerard - This is not a cover band but they like to play cover songs like Tarkus, 21st Century Schizoid Man,  Red, etc.  They were quite good.

21st Century Schizoid Band - Great musicianship but I don't like the singer. He should stick to playing guitar only and find somebody else to sing.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 06:17
Originally posted by khammer99 khammer99 wrote:

Tribute bands are basically a rip off, and show a lack of imagination. I'm all for a band playing covers as part of their set, although for the most part, they brutalized the original song.
 Give me the original, or when I see a band, I like them to mix in some original stuff with the covers.

i always had mixed opinions about tribute bands, but eventually got to see  "AC/DC" and  "Who" tribute bands - having seen the "real" bands live i was bl**dy amazed how good they were!  they had the band members' characters down to a tee, the right gear and the music was brilliant.   a good tribute band is a joy to behold  if they get it right and are true fans, so nobody is getting ripped off, truly a "tribute". they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery Wink

Prog Archives Tour Van
kshacklett View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 19:28
It's all good:  Bands that nail the originals, bands that improvise a lot, bands that do their own arrangements, bands with different instrumentation,  bands that suck.... it doesn't matter.  If they enjoy doing it it's good.  If someone enjoys listening to them, it's gravy.

If someone doesn't like it, tough sh*t.  The world does not revolve around him or her, or even the original bands for that matter.

Any celebration of good music is a good thing... and isn't imitation the sincerest form of flattery?

My two cents,

Kerry
kshacklett View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 19:41
Like minds.... I noticed shortly after posting that the previous post also made the imitation remark.  Score two.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123