Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Reasoning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Reasoning
    Posted: February 26 2008 at 19:52
I downloaded this band's debut album from iTunes, Awakening, and am enjoying several of the tunes - most notably the title track. I also enjoy Within Cold Glass, Fallen Angels, Sacred Shape, Aching Hunger and Shadows of the Mind. I'm less impressed with Playing the Game and Chasing Rainbows. This band sounds to me like equal parts "Going for the One"-era Yes and Evanescence, with a touch of Asia and Floyd thrown in. I had never heard of them before stumbling across their CD on iTunes. I'm curious whether anyone else has heard this band and what you think of them.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:41
I have... I think I was the one who added them hahaha.  Good group.. think Dean brought this one to the team.  Enjoyed what I heard of their music. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 16:25
I first heard a streaming track on this site and fell in love with them immediately.  Really cool web site, too.  You might also be interested in the limited edition autographed DVD they have for sale.  It's got one video and interviews with most of the band members.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 27 2008 at 16:36
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

lucysmusicbox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 19:02
No I haven't yet I guess i need to check them out 
lucysmusicbox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 19:03
No i haven't yet  I'm about to go and check it out 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 04:35
No u haven't yet  Yr about to go and check it out 
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 04:36
No u haven't yet  Yr about to go and check it out 

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 06:10
I got the album a few weeks back and I'm still getting into it but they seem pretty good. I think there may be a new one soon if I'm not mistaken.
limeyrob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 15:05
I've had the album for a few months and it's great
Graemeh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 16:03
Hello all. this is my first post to this forum which I've just found. The Reasoning are indeed releasing a new album in October called Dark Angel, although a limited edition pre-order dvd and cd will be released in early/mid September. A trailer for it is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyKqNYmRaGY

It is heavier and darker than Awakening but retains the vocal harmonies. But it also allows Rachel Cohen (formerly Rachel Jones - ex Karnataka) a full part and she has just the most gorgeous voice. They also have a new guitarist, Owain Roberts, who is awesome.

Apologies for shameless plug (especially as this is my first post) but Rachel and her husband (and band founder and bass player) Matthew are two of my best friends

thanks for reading
Graeme
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 16:55
Welcome Graeme, looking forward to the album's release immensely - The Reasoning were the highlight of the Cambridge Rock (and Beer) Festival for me (did I see a glimpse of that performance in the YouTube vid?). Darker & heavier is good - I like dark & heavy.Approve

What?
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 17:03
continuing the shameless plug on Graeme's behalf:

Sunday, Oct 19th: The Reasoning: The Robin2, Bilston, Wolves...would anyone like to meet up with Andy Carter (Sleeper) and me??

Big%20smile
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Graemeh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 17:57
Oh I'll be there. matey, and certainly up for a beer or 2.Thanks for your post!

Only been there once before so happy to meet up at  a hostelry of your choosing!

Cheers
Graeme

Edited by Graemeh - August 24 2008 at 18:05
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 18:03
^^well, I'll be driving, so it'll be beer-lite sadly, but it'd be good to say 'hello'..

in the mean time, why don't you wander over to our 'Shed' some time (General Discussions Forum) and introduce yourself...we could do with one or two actual musicians in there...LOL
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Graemeh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 18:11
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Welcome Graeme, looking forward to the album's release immensely - The Reasoning were the highlight of the Cambridge Rock (and Beer) Festival for me (did I see a glimpse of that performance in the YouTube vid?). Darker & heavier is good - I like dark & heavy.Approve

Hi Dean, thanks for your kind comment.Yes, that was from Cambridge. Sadly The Reasoning were let down badly by the sound crew, as I'm sure you know, but Mostly Autumn were treated even worse! However it was a fun day and I have to say Touchstone were great, as were Breathing Space. John Otway was amazing and Marillion, well, they're my favourite band, and for some reason, although she's seen them many times, my wife finally "got" them that night. Not sure why, as they had plenty of problems of their own on the night, but I'm not complaining!
Cheers
Graeme
CandyLion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 18:24
The Reasoning are quite a good band, I found them on Amazon after searching for a CD by Knight Area. 
Graemeh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 18:43
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

^^well, I'll be driving, so it'll be beer-lite sadly, but it'd be good to say 'hello'..

in the mean time, why don't you wander over to our 'Shed' some time (General Discussions Forum) and introduce yourself...we could do with one or two actual musicians in there...LOL

O if only! Sadly my musical skills are not something you'd pay money for, it just so happens that Matt and Rach from The Reasoning are 2 of my very best friends  and I'll do anything I can to help them as they are quite honestly 2 of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. I've been backstage with them at various places and seen other bands play the big "I AM" card but not these guys. I might end up being  a one trick pony here (and my apologies if that is the case) but if you get to see them play live and meet them afterwards you'll understand what I'm labouring the point about!

I'll head on over to the shed anyway!

Graemeh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 19:39
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

I would love to if i could find it! Aplogies for being an idiot but where is it?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 13:54
Thanks for the tip on the new one.  Just got in on the preorder.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 14:00
Originally posted by Graemeh Graemeh wrote:

I would love to if i could find it! Apologies for being an idiot but where is it?

LOL

click on the Forum entitled 'General Discussions' on the main menu... then head for the Thumbs%20Up icon, marked 'The Shed'...Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>