Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "Best ofs" and "Greatest Hits" as an introduction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Best ofs" and "Greatest Hits" as an introduction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 10:39
You guys should listen to "Focus" by Cynic. Its all the best songs they've ever done on one cd!
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 09:51
I agree with all who said that compilations are usualy not a good way to meet a new band or artist.
I also suspect live albums as a more sufisticated style of greatest hits form or in some cases the musicians in a live album are too busy to show how great players they are instead of concentrating about the best way to do the music (for me, and I guess many will not agree this is the case of Led zeppelins' "The song remain the same"). There are great live albums (my example - ELP welcome back my friends) but when you do'nt know a band you have no way to guess how their live album is like.

In the last 3 years I was exposed to a lot of new (for me) bands here in PA . My way is to read reviews. Usually when a review is written well I can feel if it's fits me. Than I go to that album and read some more reviews and also see if there are more key albums of that artist. This is how I discovered Esperanto (Danse macabre is a masterpiece IMO), Eskaton (4 visions), Discipline (Unfolded like staircase), Amon Duul II (Phalus dei, Yeti, TDL, Wolf city) and many more.

After a while you get to know others' taste so it gives you some more hints. For example, Ivan love melody so when he loves something it is very beautifull for sure. Baldjean prefers dark music and Rafaela has a taste that is quite similar to my taste. So that's another way to understand which albums to search for.

Oh, and if skipping "More fool me" is a crime then I'm an outlaw.
omri
Gentlegiantprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 09:34
The first Genesis album I ever got was Turn It On Again- The Hits. How f'in dissapointing is that ? I expected something like a mixture between Yes and Floyd and instead got a bunch of pop songs. Nearly put me off Genesis forever until I did my research and found prog archives, and with it Cinema show, Watcher in the Skies and Musical box.

Sometimes best ofs are good, but you never know. But as a fan I wouldn't want to risk buying the one album by the band you didnt like and then saying no to that band forever because the most popular album didnt do it for you.

I got Caravan's for Girls Who' first and didn't like it and didn't therfore like caravan. In a moment of Madness I bought ITLOGAP and loved it, and it then showed me what was good about 'For Girls''

Let the maps of war be drawn !

http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 05:51
I have to agree with Raffaela: live albums are a great introduction. if you don't get hooked by great albums like "Gong Live Etc.", "Frumpy Live" or "Guru Guru Live" (just  to name a few) you won't get hooked at all. I am aware though that (strangely to me) many people prefer studio albums because of the "sound quality"

Edited by BaldJean - February 28 2008 at 05:53

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 04:59
I bought Deepest Purple when it was first released many years ago, more recently I bought First Generation and I Prophesy Disaster by Van der Graaf Generator, and Caravan's Where but for Caravan Would I.

I recommend all of these compilations for anyone interested in hearing these three bands for the first time.

And don't tell me I don't love prog because I'm not listening to the tracks in the order the artist intended on the original album. If someone skips past More Fool Me when they listen to Selling England by the Pound they're guilty of the same crime. Wink
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
MusicalSalmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 23:26
Live albums are better. Live albums are like compilations, but live. And if you happen to get into the band, and you find yourself owning every one of their CDs, it's better to have a live album as well than a compilation album!
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 22:40
I actually feel some Best Of/Greatist Hits complilations can be a great way to either introduce oneself to a new band or rediscover an old band.  Generally these need to be multi-disc sets; a single disc Best Of is generally worthless in my experience.  Here are a couple examples from my collection that I think serve the purpose well:

Genesis Platinum Collection:  three CD's spanning most of Genesis' career.  This provides an opportunity for new listeners to familiarize themselves with the bands various eras for very little cost and can serve a jumping off point for acquiring the individual albums.  Purists will argue that it shortchanges the early years, but that not its point.

Atomic Rooster Heavy Soul:  two CD's spanning nine albums of material.  This has the plus that it's generally stocked in your local music shop, which will not have the individual albums.  Again at very little cost you get a great introduction to this band.

Procol Harum Anthology:  two CD's covering huge amounts of the band's first four LP's.  Again, a pretty cheap way ($20) to acquire some of their best stuff.  This one however inexplicably omits The Devil Came From Kansas and has nothing from Broken Barricades.  But when i check out the prices of Procol's CD's on Amazon ($25 each for some of their CD's) this one looks like a real bargain.

I'm not saying I'd want to base my collection on these, but they can serve a purpose.  Besides I can't pop my Procol LP's in the car's CD changer.

Often an even better buy for the listener who's not a completist with regard to a particular band (particularly those with extensive catalogs) is to pick up a box set, which will generally give a decent overview of a band.  I'm thinking in particular, for me anyway, of Judas Priest's Metalogy and Motorhead's Stone Deaf Forever.  I think I paid under $40 for each of these. 

moodyxadi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 22:36
Originally posted by fighting sleep fighting sleep wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I believe "best ofs" are always the wrong approach to getting to know a band because they are not the artistic vision of the band and don't convey the songs in proper context.

Instead of buying an illigitimate release that cannot convey the full content of any one given album theme, musically or lyrically, just do this.  If you can't afford to buy many titles by a band, do a little research and you can quickly find out what fans consider the "definitive" releases by each band.  It's not tough to do.  Then, buy one of their good albums.  You'll get a legit piece of art, and you'll find out whether you like the band. 
There is no need to buy some hodgepodge of songs that have no organic relation to each other, other than record company doofs assured they were the chosen tracks on the radio. 

Clap words that my heart means to say.

However, as happenstance goes, it was a compilation album, Pink Floyd's "Echoes" that launched me into Prog in the first place. The third disc of Genesis' Platinum Collection gives a great taste of our favorite Gabriel stuff, and I personally believe that with ELP, there is no better place to start then the Best of or Essentials (if you like the smorgasbord of quirkiness there, then their actual albums will be a real treat).

One of my favorite methods of amassing music is get an Essentials album of a band that I'm unsure about, and if I like it, begin gradually to collect their albums, deleting the repeats from the Essentials list on my iPod as I go. That way I appreciate their songs individually, as well as better appreciating their place on their respective albums.

Well, If I'm aware of some band's artistic value and general style (based on reviews from people that seems to get a taste next to mine and samples) I never buy a 'best of'. But if the band in question seems to be interesting but there is strong disagreement about its value (in my case: Styx) I try to get acess to a best of like the "Essential"s collection or a live album - what is a lot better in most cases. But Imagine if someone wants to discover what's the noise about Deep Purple and buy the Made in Japan album; all the pre-Gillan and Coverdale-Hughes material are off. Made in Japan is probably one of the three best live albums ever, but don't you think that the albums Burn, Stormbringer and at least Hush and some songs from their third album have importance?

I know that in progressive rock terms a representative "best of" is complicated to build, and that's the reason why I'm used to buy compilations only from pop-rock or hard rock bands. Nazareth's GH and Grand Funk's 21st century masters presented these bands very well to me, and gave me clues to start exploring their regular albums.  That's one of the reasons that make me believe that, after a good research, it's possible to start exploring a new sound within the limits of a best of album.
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 22:11
I dislike most Greatest Hits for several reasons:

1. Every album has a mood and atmosphere, the order of the songs helps to keep that atmosphere alive, in greatest hits you normally have the songs chosen randomly and without any order.
  2. Very rarely a compilation presents the best tracks, normally what we listen are the most commercial ones.
  3. Many compilations cut the long songs to make space for more material and that's an aberration.
  4. The bands have eras and a "Best of" throws inside everythoing the label thinks is going to sell.

I go with a live albun without hesitation.

Iván

puma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 21:58
I've found I like live albums better for that purpose. Seeing as live albums are essentially collections of a band's favorite songs, and usually are really good performances (good enough to be made into live albums), I like using them to help me get into a band. It worked for Kansas, with Two for the Show, it worked with Hawkwind, with Space Ritual, and it worked with King Crimson, with Cirkus-the Young Person's Guide to King Crimson Live (although that IS a bit different).

This hypothesis only applies to bands on this site, though; if you are trying to get into a band like Cream or Mountain, just get the albums.
fighting sleep View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 21:38
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I believe "best ofs" are always the wrong approach to getting to know a band because they are not the artistic vision of the band and don't convey the songs in proper context.

Instead of buying an illigitimate release that cannot convey the full content of any one given album theme, musically or lyrically, just do this.  If you can't afford to buy many titles by a band, do a little research and you can quickly find out what fans consider the "definitive" releases by each band.  It's not tough to do.  Then, buy one of their good albums.  You'll get a legit piece of art, and you'll find out whether you like the band. 
There is no need to buy some hodgepodge of songs that have no organic relation to each other, other than record company doofs assured they were the chosen tracks on the radio. 

Clap words that my heart means to say.

However, as happenstance goes, it was a compilation album, Pink Floyd's "Echoes" that launched me into Prog in the first place. The third disc of Genesis' Platinum Collection gives a great taste of our favorite Gabriel stuff, and I personally believe that with ELP, there is no better place to start then the Best of or Essentials (if you like the smorgasbord of quirkiness there, then their actual albums will be a real treat).

One of my favorite methods of amassing music is get an Essentials album of a band that I'm unsure about, and if I like it, begin gradually to collect their albums, deleting the repeats from the Essentials list on my iPod as I go. That way I appreciate their songs individually, as well as better appreciating their place on their respective albums.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 17:18
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Pink Floyds Echoes and Queensryche's Greatest Hits make for very good compilations that give a strong feel for the band as an overall, rather than just the obvious few songs.

Seconded (I've got both albums).  However, in my humble opinion live albums can be a much more effective way to get introduced to a band. To make a recent example, Caravan's wonderful The Show of Our Lives, which features live recordings from 1969 to 1975 (the heyday of the band's career), is even better than a simple "Greatest Hits". Rush's numerous live albums are also an excellent means of introduction to the band's vast output.

Agreed about the live albums, I got into Marillion via the Real to Reel/ Brief Encounter double CD release, and theres a number of great performances of some of their best songs on their, making it an excellent introduction.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 16:50
I'm not a fan of compilations. Some work and some don't, but I prefer actual albums. Even if it isn't a concept, the songs were written together, so they belong together. Another issue is wasting money. I have had compilations that made me want to explore the band further. Once I had real albums, I never listened to the compilation. So I was stuck with it.

Edited by bhikkhu - February 27 2008 at 16:51
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:57
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

I hate all forms of compilations, best ofs and greatest hits. Now when I want to find a Genesis or Yes record in the store, all I find are greatest hit collections. Prog rock is an album-oriented genre, and should be experienced as such. If someone doesn't like it in that form, then they don't like prog rock.

I love strong opinions like these but I have to disagree. After having listened extensively to plenty of prog albums all the way through, I've grown dissatisfied with the make-up of certain albums, and so have made my own mixtapes from them. Gentle Giant work particularly well when you get to re-do their track orders.

I won't apologise for removing tracks from their original contexts because I don't care. ;P I much prefer songs to albums and concepts be damned, because at the last, concepts rarely affect the music *positively*. Secondly, bands like Floyd and ELP don't have entire albums that I like, so I reconstitute them at will.

PS, wasn't that Tool album deliberately distributed with the wrong track order? Or was that a joke? =P

Well, the vinyl edition (Which I also have, so I know this to be true) has an alternate track order than the CD edition, but in that sense, the band still did it intentionally, for some purpous or another (Mostly to get the prog elitists masturbating at their own coolness for discovering this "clearly intelligent meaning that is presented through re-arranging the track orders").

What I'm talking about is . . . if you want to start someone liking Prog properly, you should play them whole albums, or at least selections from whole albums rather than play them mixed-up trash that TimeLife decided to release once they obtained the rights to "some old art rock band"'s material.

But then again, that it only my opinion. I'm not trying to sound like an elitist, but I am a purist to a certain extent; especially when it comes to albums vs. profesionally-licenced mix tapes that have no direction.

Since Prog Rock is often written with a certain intent, the least one could do is respect that intent and play an actual studio release from said artist, regardless of how you feel about concepts within themselves. I was introduced to Prog properly: with whole albums being played to me, and I liked it because it was different from what I was used to. Had I heard a compilation disc with selections mashed together from different eras of the band's career, I seriousely doubt "Another Brick in the Wall" or "The Fish" would mean what they do to me now, since neither song has a proper beginning without hearing what came before them.

Edited by p0mt3 - February 27 2008 at 15:59
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:54
That's true. =) I think Ghost Rider was right when she said that live CDs were a better account of a band's work, even for a newcomer.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:38
Keep in mind that this thread was regarding an introduction to a band.  Obviously if you have all or most of the albums there is absolutely no reason to buy a compilation unless you are a collector or your really want the "bonus" tracks that can't be found any where else.  But if you are new to a band how is the best way to get introduced to them.  One way is greatest hits.  Another way as already mentioned is to find the best albums based on others' posts or the reviews here on PA.  The problem with others' posts is that you can go to just about any thread here in the forum and find some people who think that the band's "best" albums suck, and their "worst" albums are great.  It is all a matter of personal taste.  By supporting greatest hits albums, I am ignoring the ability to illegally download albums, but a better more legal method would be to go to sites like Napster which allow you to listen to songs 3 times, that way you can listen to the album as it was meant to be heard.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:36
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

I hate all forms of compilations, best ofs and greatest hits. Now when I want to find a Genesis or Yes record in the store, all I find are greatest hit collections. Prog rock is an album-oriented genre, and should be experienced as such. If someone doesn't like it in that form, then they don't like prog rock.

I love strong opinions like these but I have to disagree. After having listened extensively to plenty of prog albums all the way through, I've grown dissatisfied with the make-up of certain albums, and so have made my own mixtapes from them. Gentle Giant work particularly well when you get to re-do their track orders.

I won't apologise for removing tracks from their original contexts because I don't care. ;P I much prefer songs to albums and concepts be damned, because at the last, concepts rarely affect the music *positively*. Secondly, bands like Floyd and ELP don't have entire albums that I like, so I reconstitute them at will.

PS, wasn't that Tool album deliberately distributed with the wrong track order? Or was that a joke? =P
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:31
Personally, I'm not a fan of greatest hits compilations. The songs feel out of context to me and I'd rather hear them on the original album as they were meant to be. Plus, my favourite songs from a band tend to be the deeper cuts and not the "hits" so I prefer getting the original albums. I know some people like to have the hits but I guess that's just not how I am. If I were to want a compilation of a band I just make myself a mix that has what I would view as their "hits" 
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:26
Greatest hits can be good and bad...sometimes there are a couple unreleased songs or rare cuts on them..like a lot of obscure Alice Cooper "Greatest Hits" albums that I come across sometimes have some rare cuts I have never seen before.

I also like the title of Dream Theater's "Greatest Hits" album coming out in April, or March..I forget. It's called "Dream Theater's Greatest Hit....and 21 other pretty cool songs", considering "Pull Me Under" was their only "Hit", I find it funny LOL, there will also be some rare radio edits on that as well.

I am against "Greatest Hits" cd's when the artist takes only their "Hit" songs and puts them on a cd without anything extra....It's like making a mix...anyone can do it.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 14:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>