Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSoft Heap yes, Soft Head no?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soft Heap yes, Soft Head no?
    Posted: March 05 2008 at 07:03
is there any reason why Soft Heap are in the archives, but Soft Head are not? it is rather strange indeed, because they are more or less the same band, only Soft Head had Dave Sheen as drummer instead of Pip Pyle. the music is pretty much the same as the music of Soft Heap too, so I really don't get it. Soft Head are one of the many spin-offs of Soft Machine, like Soft Heap or Matching Mole. as already mentioned, Soft Head has almost the same line-up as Soft Heap, only Dave Sheen was replaced by Pip Pyle in Soft Heap. "Head" and "Heap", by the way, are constructs out of the first letters of the Christian names of the musicians (Hugh, Elton, Alan, Dave respectively Pip). Soft Head made one album only, "Rogue Element"; it is very much on the jazzy side. here the details:

Soft Head: Rogue Element

Released: 1978
Label: Ogun
Genre: Jazz-Rock

Alan Gowen: Keyboards
Elton Dean: Saxophones
Hugh Hopper: Bass
Dave Sheen: Drums

Tracks:

Seven for Lee - 8:51
Seven Drones - 4:25
Remain So - 4:48
Ranova - 16:52
C You Again - 4:13
C.R.R.C. - 14:00
One Three Nine - 6:33

Edited by BaldJean - March 05 2008 at 14:27

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 10:09
We were discussing these bands a little bit in the Canterbury thread - I had only just discovered their existence last week.  Embarrassed  I would think that the omission of Soft Head here is indeed an oversight.  Maybe repost this in the Suggest New Bands thread?
 Post Reply Post Reply