0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Gone Wild Life, Part Three
    Posted: April 06 2008 at 00:33
Maybe the third time is the charm.  I just know that you have all been eagerly awaiting the 3rd installment of Prog Gone Wild Life.  This third one is of mythological proportions.  Alright, many of the creatures are either fictional or mythological.  Anyhow, hopefully some of you know who these bands are and can recommend them to the rest of us and tell us something about them.

Enjoy, but don't go in the water because you just don't know what might be lurking.

Edited by rushfan4 - April 06 2008 at 01:02
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 00:58
Here is a link to a thread started by Avestin discussing Interference Sardines.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 01:01
Marsupilami's "Arena" is a pretty wild early album.  Good stuff.  Ibis is Yes-influenced Italian, not bad.  

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 01:07
Kaputter Hamster is a one album Krautrock band that Certified and Sean Trane once has a short thread discussion about.  I wonder if anybody else knows anything about them.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 01:30
Kong is listed as a prog related band but they appear to be an experimental/post metal band.  They were championed by Opeth Guitarist.  Here is a link to a thread that he created encouraging us to listen to this band.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 01:38
Lemur Voice is a prog metal band that I have heard of, and I believe that I have even heard one or two of their songs.  I believe that they sound somewhat like Dream Theater.  I found this thread from back in 2005 that discusses this band, but there wasn't too much activity.  Anyhow, in case any one is interested here is a link to that thread.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 13:51
Since I seem to be talking to myself again, I found this thread where some folks were talking a bit about the Italian Leviathan, but nothing overly informative so please feel free to add something to this thread or that thread.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 13:54
Cacho, if you happen to stop by, based on the below thread, you might find the Leviathan (USA 70's) band of interest.  The posters in this thread say they remind them of Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 13:57
Finnforest mentions them above, but here is a more detailed thread provided by Avestin regarding Marsupalami.  They definitely sound quite interesting.

omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 12:32
I'll add my voice here, maimly to avoid rushfan4 from being so lonley .

Matching mole : A band Robert Wyatt fonded in 1970 right after leaving The soft machine. The name came from the french way of saying soft machine - machine mole and using this sound to the new band's name.
They made 2 studio albums - self titled in 1970 and Little red record in 1971. Both albums are a mixture of jazzy beats and weired sounds and although classified as canterbury I believe that avant-garde describes this music better. In a way these 2 albums are proto-rock bottom which means they sound very strange but beauty and thoughtfull. The band also released a live album called March.
I love them and I think that those who likes Wyatt's early albums or the more freaky canterbury like Gong will find them pretty good.
omri
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 12:51

Ibis - Sun Supreme  is an album I like a lot, even though it may not be the most original. Wonderful melodies.

Lobster Newberg is a new band started by teen agers and that have created a very good album that is heavily influenced by bands such as Beatles, VdGG, Allman Bros and others. Very well done.

Like James said, Marsupilami's album Arena is quite wild, great album

Mastodon - well if you like your metal highly energetic and quite aggressive, stemming from hardcore roots but with cool twists and intense then this is for you.

Matching Mole - nothing to add to Omri's post but second my appreciation for this band.

Missus Beastly - I like them and their fuzzy psych/blues sound as heard on the gorilla album

Interference Sardines - follow the link that Scott gave above to the thread I made - recommended and they have recently released a new album.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 13:11
"proto-rock bottom," I like that very much.

I really like what I've heard of Interference Sardines (http://www.myspace.com/interferencesardines).  A few days ago I was trying to research I.S.'s latest album, Spot de Rue, brought about by starting on an unimaginative poll -- Rouge Ciel vs. Interference Sardines.  Spot de Rue has not yet been added to the discography, but I could not find a track list.  I could email them, but if any has it, please add the album or list it here and I will.

Both Lobster Newberg and Marsupilami are terrific, but like Omri, I have to give it to Matching Mole.  It should come as no shock to people who know my tastes at all that I'm a great admirer of Wyatt, jazzy Canterbury Scene and Avant music (and much Canterbury Scene could be multi-tagged avant  -- it's no surprise that so many into the Avant Prog category also love the Canterbury Scene).  Both studio albums (I haven't heard the live album) are terrific albums (and I love the humour, "Signed Curtain" is something I could imagine myself writing).  I even like O Caroline very much as I like contrast in the albums.  Can't resist putting on some Matching Mole "LIttle Red Album" -- I'm in the mood for "Man's True Hole."
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 16:59
Don't you hate it when you type a fairly lengthy response and for some reason you get an error message and you lose everything that you typed.Angry

Since I don't feel like re-typing the whole stream of conciousness from before, all that I will say is that at this point all that I have done is dabbled in the Canterbury Scene.  I probably have 5-10 albums from bands listed in that category.  I have heard of Matching Mole, but don't believe that I have ever heard them.  I have heard two songs from Soft Machine and my impression was that they were more of a jazz band than a rock band. 

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 00:29
I'm usually careful about copying the text to clipboard (highlight > right click -> copy) before posting but I just  lost  a fairly lengthy response myself by accidentally hitting one of the mouse buttons that deleted the text and inserted a user name I'd copied earlier.  SO i'll make it shorter than I would like.

It depends on the songs and albums of Soft Machine.  The first was more psych pop/rock and then it became more Fusion, jazz and psychedelic rock -- (Fusion being common for Canterbury Scene bands, one reasons why the team is Jazz Rock Fusion/ Canterbury).  I'd say that the band was psych/ pop/ rock/ jazz.  Definitely became very jazzy but never sounded like pure jazz to me (and I used to be a big listener of jazz), so I call it jazzy or Fusion.  I do think of SM as more of a jazzy rock band than a rocky jazz band.  Definite pysch, still that rhythm and blues influence common to rock, and despite jazzy improv and instrumentation, I think the core of it compositionally and line-up wise followed more the rock approach -- rhythmically it's quite rock I think, and structurally too (not just songs but instrumentals), and also the chord progressions that were commonly used don't seem that jazz).  And I've read that when it came to "improv" it was different from a jazz approach.  Psyschadelic rock was important to the style.  Jazz-rock, I'll leave it to others to quantify.  There are more classically jazzy bands of the Fusion variety in the archives that are more jazz.   Jazz -- one of the most important ingredients of prog for me generally.

Edited by Logan - April 08 2008 at 00:40
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 02:01
you know, Ibis released a couple of excellent album, Sun Supreme is excellent

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 12:35
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm usually careful about copying the text to clipboard (highlight > right click -> copy) before posting but I just  lost  a fairly lengthy response myself by accidentally hitting one of the mouse buttons that deleted the text and inserted a user name I'd copied earlier.  SO i'll make it shorter than I would like.

It depends on the songs and albums of Soft Machine.  The first was more psych pop/rock and then it became more Fusion, jazz and psychedelic rock -- (Fusion being common for Canterbury Scene bands, one reasons why the team is Jazz Rock Fusion/ Canterbury).  I'd say that the band was psych/ pop/ rock/ jazz.  Definitely became very jazzy but never sounded like pure jazz to me (and I used to be a big listener of jazz), so I call it jazzy or Fusion.  I do think of SM as more of a jazzy rock band than a rocky jazz band.  Definite pysch, still that rhythm and blues influence common to rock, and despite jazzy improv and instrumentation, I think the core of it compositionally and line-up wise followed more the rock approach -- rhythmically it's quite rock I think, and structurally too (not just songs but instrumentals), and also the chord progressions that were commonly used don't seem that jazz).  And I've read that when it came to "improv" it was different from a jazz approach.  Psyschadelic rock was important to the style.  Jazz-rock, I'll leave it to others to quantify.  There are more classically jazzy bands of the Fusion variety in the archives that are more jazz.   Jazz -- one of the most important ingredients of prog for me generally.

When I think about it, I will copy to the clipboard also to prevent losing a post, but that is only when I think about it.  Losing a post like that, will make me think about it for a little while, but then I will probably drift away from doing that until such time that I lose another post and it makes me think about it again.

This is definitely an interesting comment as in to what distinguishes a jazzy rock band from a rocky jazz band.  It has probably been discussed before in other threads, but this is the first that I have stopped to think about that.  Although this probably can be objectively quantified, I suppose that this distinguishment is probably still subjective to each individual's tastes .  I definitely recognize that the inclusion of jazz by rock bands is a major characteristic of much progressive rock.  For whatever reason, when I heard the songs from Soft Machine, my subjective meter registered them as a jazz band versus a rock band.  Grant it I've dabbled in jazz only slightly more than I have dabbled in Canterbury so I don't qualify as a "that is jazz" expert. 

Sort of a subset of Laplace's prog universe with jazz in one plane of the universe intersecting with the rock plane, and sometimes the metal plane or the symphonic plane.  Or are these quadrants?
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 13:48
Logan,

I also love this track but is'nt it called Nan true's hole ? (I'm not capable of checking it myself at the moment). Speaking about contrast in the album don't you think that "God song" does it in Little red record ? I love the lyrics and the idea of making a phonecall to god (pardon me I'm very drunk).
omri
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 13:14
Originally posted by omri omri wrote:

Logan,

I also love this track but is'nt it called Nan true's hole ? (I'm not capable of checking it myself at the moment). Speaking about contrast in the album don't you think that "God song" does it in Little red record ? I love the lyrics and the idea of making a phonecall to god (pardon me I'm very drunk).

Not "Man's True Hole"?  So it is.  Better I'd written that than "Nan's True Hole," at least, since that is positively disgusting.  LOL Embarrassed ("nan" meaning grandmother).

"God Song" has been my most played track off of it.  A recent experience turned my thoughts to spiritual matters.  I think I played it again and again in the hopes of getting some reaction from God (hopefully not something very bad).  I'm agnostic, but really was very upset, and God (if it exists or not), or the idea of God, was something I could vent my frustration to/ at.  I wanted some kind of sign.  I know that Wyatt is an atheist, or is he really agnostic (and it fits the anti-religion communist message that one might expect in an album so-named), but I love that line where he makes that excuse/ insincere apology "You know that I'm only joking... pardon me, I'm very drunk" -- so please don't smite me).  There's a song that would make many people uncomfortable (it's acerbic), and even though I'm not religious, it made me feel a little guilty or uncomfortable to an extent.  Love the song, though.  I'm not sure how long after recording that that his accident happened.  "What on Earth are you doing God, is this some sort of joke you're playing?" 

"Marchides" is terrific.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 16:20
another no contest...

any prog metal group that grabs me on first listen has to be f**king good hahahha

Mastodon
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 16:25
That must be the band that we are all eagerly awaiting the now infamous review. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>