1 [25.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Astro Can Caravan & Jaga Jazzist
    Posted: April 20 2008 at 20:40

Astro Can Caravan were formed, according to their short-on-info website and Myspace, in 2001 in Kuopio in Finland by Otto Eskelinen, Pharaoh Pirttikangas, Tomi Kosonen and Tuomas Eriksson.
The band has gone through a lot of personnel changes ever since, with at least 35 people that have played in ACC in some line up or another.
According to Pentti Dassum from ACC, the 2007 line up of ACC is: Otto Eskelinen, Pharaoh Pirttikangas, Rasmus Pailos, Jusu Berghäll, Tuomas Eriksson, Tuomo Kuure, Pauli Lyytinen, Tomi Kosonen and Pentti Dassum ("give or take a few people, depending on the traveling distance... we live around finland, on a radius of ca 600 km from each other").
ACC are as Crucial Blast puts it a “jazz / prog / abstract / free-skronk-noise collective/orchestra”. Their albums 21st Century Drifting Episode and Questral Places will please listeners into jazz and avant-rock, and who like rhythmic and groovy textures, varied instrumentation and variety and richness of sound.

Thanks to Pentti Dassum for the help in compiling this biography.

==Assaf Vestin (avestin)==

In 1994 a couple of kids from Norway all around the age of 14 decided to make an album combining their wide range of influences, but the main one being jazz and electronic music, they made in 1996 their first album "Grete Stitz". It wasn't that much of a ruckus, but they where slowly on their way to perfecting their own sound.

It was in 2001 with their album, "A Livingroom Hush" , that the 10 piece instrumental band named Jaga Jazzist finally was in the spotlight. It was also when they became known all around the world with their unique sound and toured out of their own country for the first time witch gave them a lot of recognition from all over the world as well as the raving reviews they got from the album. In 2002 "A Livingroom Hush" was dubbed jazz album of the year.

In 2003 they released their follow up, "The Stix", witch saw the band experimenting more with their electronic side without the help of remixers. It also showed the band in a more rock direction than the previous one.

After all of the touring for The Stix was over, they went again into the studio to start recording their latest album, "What We Must", but after that they went and recorded the demo "Spydenberg Sessions" in witch their signature sound came evident; combining genres, artists and bands from all over the map that by reading their list of influences you wont believe it could be possible. After the band made a tour in the US and Canada showing their new material, they went on to record their latest album "What We Must". This album showed their post-rock influences more clearly than their previous two albums.

Jaga Jazzist is a strange band in it sense of mixing all their influences to make their own sound. They have jazz, electronica, progressive rock, shoegazer, psychedelic, hip-hop, alternative rock, experimental artists, post-rock and more all under their own umbrella of sound. Curious to know what they would sound like? See for yourself.

: : : Chamberry : : :

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 23:23
People who don't know both might wish to check out these links: http://www.myspace.com/astrocancaravan
http://www.myspace.com/jagajazzististhesound

I really like both, but will go with Astro Can Caravan.

EDIT: one of the links had a space in it and so needed fixing.

Edited by Logan - April 20 2008 at 23:36
Just a fanboy passin' through.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 23:27
Thanks for the links, Logan, forgot to post them (I make a point of always posting them but that got away this time).

I also will go for ACC; I like their groovy acid jazz take and their avant-ish side.
JJ is not far behind though.

Both great bands that should be explored!

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 23:39
My necessary edit gave me a chance to add the much needed "really" since both are terrific.  Astro Can Caravan's is really special to my ears.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 12:05
I might be biased here, but I prefer Jaga Jazzist over Astro Can Caravan. There's something in Jaga Jazzist's music that I always liked and that's the atmosphere they create with their music.

Sadly I still haven't clicked with Astro Can Caravan and I have both their albums for quite some time now. I'll keep trying.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 20:50
Bump for more people to discover or comment.

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 00:46
strange i didn't post here before....
Both are great bands but so far i think y enjoy more listening to Astro Can Caravan and their cool jazzy music

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 01:03
Jaga Jazzist for me. Perhaps I haven't given Astro Can Caravan enough time, but Jaga is one of my favorites.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
 Post Reply Post Reply