Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes reported to be recording new album!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes reported to be recording new album!
    Posted: May 09 2008 at 18:13
I heard it on the radio yesterday, appareantly Anderson & co are writting the material for their new album, which will feature 4 epic songs!Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile Yessssssssss... seems like they are gonna release it with the 40th aniversary world tour (oh God, please let them come here).

I dont know about you, but Im pretty excited! As I heard it from the radio I have no link or anything, so if anyone finds something Ill be thankful!
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 18:15
Stern%20Smile madness.

I am both worried and excited. It's a rollercoaster ride of emotions right now.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 18:20
hahhahah... IF it happens.... it will be interesting to say the least.  I don't think any of us would be surprised that if Yes did a final album.. and I'm sure this would be it... that they would revisit their glory years as a thanks of sorts  for all the fans. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dr. Prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 18:25
Does Anderson @ co include Rick Wakeman? (not junior). If so, very intrigued.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 18:25
do it do it do it do it =P
As little as I value post-Relayer Yes material it'll be a joy to listen to a band who *once* knew how to make good symphonic rock compared to every attempt at it I've heard so far this year - Magenta, Moongarden, RPWL, The Tangent et al have left me all completely unmoved and I'd rather hear Fails from Topographic Oceans, part II by far. o:) now call me a nostalgia junky
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 18:31
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

As little as I value post-Relayer Yes material it'll be a joy to listen to a band who *once* knew how to make good symphonic rock compared to every attempt at it I've heard so far this year - Magenta, Moongarden, RPWL, The Tangent et al have left me all completely unmoved and I'd rather hear Fails from Topographic Oceans, part II by far. o:) now call me a nostalgia junky

I couldn't agree more...  some of my biggest disappointments.. and my most prized drink coasters LOL.. are what passes for modern symphonic prog... christ...  it was perfected over 30 years ago... I'd rather listen to some REAL progressive rock that that retreaded sh*t  like TFK.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 18:50
exactly. =) also I want to see you defending the new album in the forums, that's always entertaining ;)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 18:55

exactly. =) also I want to see you defending the new album in the forums, that's always entertaining ;)

oh hell  yeah.. I will I'm sure LOL
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 19:40

With all due respect, if the new Magenta leaves you unmoved, there is no hope for you finding good music going forward. Brilliant album.

As for Yes, my hopes for a decent album are about as low as you can go.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 19:54
The LADDER and MAGNIFICATION were a good return to form, especially the last one , so why not be optimistic? Steve Howe seems in great form after what i heard on PHOENIX.......Daddy Wakeman or Junior, does it even really matter?  Jon Anderson hasn't lost his voice....
.....so why not believe!!Thumbs%20Up
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 20:04
Great man!!! So excited, don't care the members, just the music ok? Magnification was a hell of an album. Let's see if the keyboards come again..

Yeah I hope they come to Argentina!!
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 21:23
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

Stern%20Smile madness.

I am both worried and excited. It's a rollercoaster ride of emotions right now.

i am more worried then exited. . . Ermm
Endless Wire View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 00:03

Wow this is amazing news!  I didn't even know Yes was even thinking about making a new album, but if it really does have four epics than that would be incredible.  I personally thought The Ladder was good, not great, but I thought Magnification was actually a very good album.  Without a doubt better than any recent releases by any other classic prog bands.

Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 00:05
As scary as it seems, I can only can only come up with excitement. Yes rocks, what can I say.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 00:05
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

With all due respect, if the new Magenta leaves you unmoved, there is no hope for you finding good music going forward.

'splain zis =P
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 00:26
Even as it prepares for its 40th anniversary tour this summer, Yes is working on new material, frontman Jon Anderson has revealed to Billboard.com.

Anderson says the progressive rock heroes are preparing four new songs of the "opus" variety -- lengthy, multi-movement compositions along the lines of "Close to the Edge" and "Tales From Topographic Oceans."

"They're very, very different," Anderson says. "It'll be interesting when we perform them, because we know that we want to try and perform them in a unique fashion."

But Anderson adds that he's not sure those songs will wind up comprising Yes' first set of new material since 2001's "Magnification."

"Putting together an album really isn't logical anymore," he notes. "Putting together a large piece of music or something that is really a jump in a musical direction takes a lot of commitment from everybody.... But maybe during the tour we will discuss making some new music."

CM8ShowAd("Middle");
Anderson says he'd also be amenable to some sort of reunion of the Yes lineup that made the group's triple-platinum 1983 smash "90125" as well as 1987's "Big Generator" and 1994's "Talk."

He and Trevor Rabin, the guitarist and co-producer in that incarnation of the band, have been in discussions about "maybe touring some of that '80s-period music, because it was very special."

But Anderson says he and Rabin aren't necessarily thinking about resurrecting that version of Yes as a recording entity.

"I wouldn't do it, like, Yes," Anderson explains. "I'd do it like me and Trevor aspiring to be the two of us making music and see what we come up with.

The Yes anniversary tour kicks off July 12 at the Festival d'ete de Quebec in Quebec City. [billboard]

There ya go.  I think I'll pass. 

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 00:31
why not...it would be nice

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 00:35
What news. I so would love to see another YES album and I know damn well it would be a killer. Those guys are't dumb. No, they are only the best Progressive Rock Band I have ever heard, bar none. I can't wait to see them live in August. I tip my hat to this band. What a treasure they are.
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 02:42
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I couldn't agree more...  some of my biggest disappointments.. and my most prized drink coasters LOL.. are what passes for modern symphonic prog... christ...  it was perfected over 30 years ago... I'd rather listen to some REAL progressive rock that that retreaded sh*t  like TFK.

I think the problem with symphonic prog is that is WAS perfected - so everything since follows that perfect formula or, if not, is not considered symphonic prog.

I wonder, micky (and this is a genuine question, I don't know the answer) if YES turn up with Close To The Edge II, whether our reaction to it would be more positive than to modern symphonic prog following the same formula?

In the end, it's all about the strength of the material they come up with. The personnel are secondary. Let's hope, please [insert deity of your choice] they can find four excellent songs in them.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 05:19

Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I think the problem with symphonic prog is that is WAS perfected - so everything since follows that perfect formula or, if not, is not considered symphonic prog.

I wonder, micky (and this is a genuine question, I don't know the answer) if YES turn up with Close To The Edge II, whether our reaction to it would be more positive than to modern symphonic prog following the same formula?

In the end, it's all about the strength of the material they come up with. The personnel are secondary. Let's hope, please [insert deity of your choice] they can find four excellent songs in them.

I have to agree. How can you improve on CTTE or even GFTO. Additionally how could Jon Anderson do better than Olias of Sunhillow ( What a brilliant title for an album)

What impresses me the most ( business acumen aside) is that Yes continue to be creative in studio's unlike latter day Genesis for example who are content to regurgiate reunion tour shows for DVD release. I am sure Yes will do another studio release but will it ever be good enough?? Hey Mike Oldfield managed Amarok in 1989!!!!LOL So let's hope.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>