Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSleepytime Gorilla Museum Appreciation Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum Appreciation Thread!
    Posted: May 13 2008 at 18:27
This thread is for all the Sleepytime Gorilla Museum fans. Lately I've been absolutely obsessed with these guys, due in part to me watching a concert on youtube while not having had enough sleep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdpBXrC4S78&feature=related

Here's the first two songs, the entire thing (some 13 videos) are within easy finding distance. In my opinion, they are incredible live. The sound is always great and the humor and improv is amazing. I really can't wait until they start touring again.

As for their studio stuff: Their debut is amazing. I have a review which is just bursting at the seams with praise. I love it. My favorite songs have to be Powerless and Sleep is Wrong.

Of Natural History is also a great album. Unfortunately I feel its a bit too spaced out in the middle and end. Bring back the Apocalypse is my favorite song like ever. The seemingly random yet completely organized elements are boss, and the xylophone is so hardcore (somehow).

Their newest album though, In Glorious Times, I think is a bit of a step down from their previous two. It just seems to be lacking and a lot of times I feel like they're just making noise. No standout tracks for me.

I have a question though, does anyone know when they plan on making another album?

Edited by DJPuffyLemon - June 18 2008 at 19:40
cookieacquired View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 20:53
I believe word on the street is that SGM is due for a new album this summer (which hopefully will be promoted with some big touring type plans). They've debuted a new song at their live shows earlier on in the winter, so things look very promising

And on your epic song: It would be interesting and probably a bit of a gambit, but that means more time of Sleepytime which is always good

Though I think FC: Freedom Club is epic enough itself (probably being one of my favorite SGM tracks)

Fenmalain View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 22:23
SGM and their related bands (Idiot Flesh, The Book of Knots, Tin Hat Trio, Two Foot Yard, ect.) make up a huge chunk of my weekly music diet.  They have yet to dissapoint me. 
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 22:28
I think them doing a 20 minuter would be interesting, but as with all songs of any length, it more matters if its good or not

Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 23:11
I adore SGM. But I think In Glorious Times was on par with the others. I'm am eagerly awaiting the new album, hoping dearly that this song will be on it.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 19:53
I enjoy Of Natural History and In Glorious Times on occassion and I really love Tin Hat Trio/Tin Hat.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 08:47
Well I posted here yesterday but it was lost due to the hacking...

Of Natural History: A+
In Glorious Times: A-
Grand Opening and Closing: B+

Someone who saw them live told me Nils said they'd have a new album this summer...

As for the epic, I don't think it would work, but I don't feel like retyping my longish explanation that got lost once already.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 09:20
I think they have the potential to do one well but not really the inclination to do so

DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 13:11
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Someone who saw them live told me Nils said they'd have a new album this summer...
That's pretty great news, considering this summer is sometime between now and August!

Concerning an "epic", I can't really imagine them doing one now that I think of it more. Like's been said, I don't really think they are inclined to make one. But honestly I can't really see them even being able to without relying on the build-up-then-verse-then-more-build-up-then-climax-then-interlude-then-another-climax-then-fade-away formula they've used for all their other longer songs.
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 20:07
Oh boy, new SGM.  Excellent news.  Big%20smile

I finally found a copy of Grand Opening And Closing.  I'll have to let it grow on me.  Of Natural History was one of the most inventive and superb albums I've heard in recent years.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 21:40
Say, how many of you Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum fans have actually been to a museum with gorillas? Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 21:53
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Say, how many of you Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum fans have actually been to a museum with gorillas? Tongue

I have.  And they were indeed sleeping (at least to the extent that "sleep is the cousin of death")

$10 says no one gets that reference
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 01:59
its been a while since I paid attention to SGM, I never got around to hearing In Glorious Times, I suppose I will some day, I saw them play once- for the short time they were on stage they were great! but sadly the venues in albuquerque can be S-heads and they closed up and kicked them off the stage before their set was completed,
Idiot Flesh was a great band too!
DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 19:46
I've listened to the entirety of Of Natural History. And its pretty sweet. I think that the only tracks which don't work are the  17 Year Cicada, What shall we do without us?, and Cockroach. The last one isn't that bad, its a nice tune, but its a really bad closer. This album could've used some amazing ending. But as it stands, the best songs were at the beginning.

Still trying to get into in Glorious Times, but unfortunately, all the hitting of the garbage can lids is kind of getting on my nerves. It sounds too much like noise, which is weird considering what the other albums sound like...
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 20:34
This is such an awesome band. Secret Chiefs 3 is a great neighbor.
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 21:57
Yeah, I too have heard many rumors of an album this summer.  But if there truly is one, they should have mentioned it more on their label, no?  I mean, it can't be a coincidence that all of these people are saying the same thing... but when it comes to SGM, I guess anything could happen, haha. 

But anyways, to whoever said they were playing only one new song lately, oh boy, they've been playing a whole lot more than one new song.  A person that went to a recent live show reviewed it saying that the songs were on par with Of Natural History's songs... which excites me

VERY MUCH SO THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Drakk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 22:18
Originally posted by DJPuffyLemon DJPuffyLemon wrote:

Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

That's pretty great news, considering this summer is sometime between now and August!

Concerning an "epic", I can't really imagine them doing one now that I think of it more. Like's been said, I don't really think they are inclined to make one. But honestly I can't really see them even being able to without relying on the build-up-then-verse-then-more-build-up-then-climax-then-interlude-then-another-climax-then-fade-away formula they've used for all their other longer songs.

I don't think they are incapable of making an incredible epic song; Nils's previous band, Idiot Flesh, was rumored to have a 20 minute song they played live at all their concerts.  I believe The Straw is what it came to be on album format, and if that song is not the definition of 'epic', then I don't know what is.

That being said, I highly doubt I'm not going to really, really like the new album.

Unless they go boy band, then it's iffy.

Edited by Drakk - June 18 2008 at 22:18
[QUOTE=darkshade] [QUOTE=Sckxyss]
I'm disappointed - neither of these players are avant-garde!

Al di Meola.

[/QUOTE]

haha i know. but the poll itself is avant-garde
[/QUOTE]
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 02:19
Epic...

Babydoctor is the answer.  With them making a "20-minute song", it's possible but only if the songwriting would allow for it, or if it's necessary.  It's not about quantity for SGM, it's quality.

Edited by mecca - June 19 2008 at 02:20
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 02:58
I just heard Of Natural History a week ago or so when I was having trouble sleeping around 1 or 2am, and it was one of the most amazing and interesting things I had ever heard. I didn't want to pause it for a second. Everything about it was just so good: the music, the concept (which I thought was really well done), the atmosphere (of some songs)...

I listened to In Glorious Times the other day and was unimpressed. I haven't listened to Of Natural History again yet; I'm hoping it stays just as good with every listen. I have a fear it will get old after a few listens because the music is so shocking. But I realize there is a lot of depth and weird things going on constantly so I think it will be one of those albums which always offer something new to hear. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 14:46
In Glorious Times took a while to click with me...it's just a different album with a different feel to it, a bit more dark maybe even

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>