Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 210211212213214 217>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2023 at 10:42
The Show - neo-noir mystery meets Lynchian surrealism and dreamworld. Or something. Written by Alan Moore. Sometimes it gets too weird for weirdness' sake but rather entertaining. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2023 at 17:17
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

John Wick Chapter 4
We watched this at the weekend. I'm not sure why exactly but I didn't like it as much as the previous 3 movies. Some of the fight scenes seemed a little clumsy in their execution and it was way, way too long. The overhead scenes in Paris were the best parts and was really like watching a computer game. Good but not great. Only 6/10

Having now had my third viewing [of all four films], I have to say I prefer JW4 to 3 .   It was a fairly elegant end (assuming he is dead,which I think he must be), and also I didn't care for the Halle Berry character in the Third Chapter.

Great series though, Reeves must've been one big bruise after all that training & filming.   I wonder if they'll try to revive the character.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2023 at 10:00
Hi,

Nightwatching
England 2007

Wow ... what a treat, and totally theatrical on top of it. I thought I was watching another opus by Peter Brook.

(Film about Rembrandt and one painting in particular, although it shows a lot about his style and ability. The film is beyond words! And PG's special on the DVD is even better, although a bit on the tiresome side. It gives a new "meaning" to the arts, but in the end, unlike PG's art school studies (more than once!!!), there are a lot of things that are intuitive that can't be quite explained ... and watching things like "The Pillow Book" will not help you understand anything or even enjoy the film!)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2023 at 00:23
Dungeons and Dragons

Exactly how I like my fantasy 'big budget' films, light hearted fun and not up itself. I hope they don't ruin it by releasing a series of sequels but I'm not holding my breath. Did laugh a lot at the obsese dragon sliding down the cavern. f**king hilarious. My only slight quibble was how easy it was to defeat the baddie in the end (sorry spoilers!). She gained these amazing powers but they take her down easily anyway. That made little sense but then I've never played the game so probably its outside of my understanding. Oh, and Hugh Grant is a hoot! (8/10)
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2023 at 13:22
1408 - psychological/supernatural horror film based on a Stephen King short story. Started quite promising, turned silly and then started to take itself too seriously. Strangely captivating, though, so maybe it was a good film after all. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 09:46
^ watched that ages ago, can't remember that much about it other than it had John Cusack in it (and Samuel L Jackson). I'd recommend Identity (2003) for another John Cusack film if you haven't seen it.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 11:39
^ I haven't seen Identity. I looked it up and it seems interesting. Thanks for the recommendation! 
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 01:25
Blade Runner 2049 - one of the greatest looking films I've ever seen. Good film but not as good as the original and definitely requires that you've seen it. 

T2 Trainspotting - hey, another sequel set decade after the original. Just like Blade Runner, no match for the original and requires that you've seen it. I liked this sequel more, though. 

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - one of my most watched films ever since I was a kid. Never gets old even if I know it by heart. 

Poison - four short films by Wes Anderson, based on stories by Roald Dahl. Weird stuff. I don't recommend watching them all in a row. The Rat Catcher was my favourite, possibly because I watched it first. 

Edited by Hiram - November 12 2023 at 01:26
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinprog77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 03:23
WHEN EVIL LURKS  

is possibly the best horror movie of 2023
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2023 at 11:05
My wife and I have just finishing watching Mission Impossible : Dead Reckoning Part 1. It's a truly stunning film  - the best of the series so far for me. Everyone was terrific in it too and there wasn't a minute of dullness. Breath-taking. I loved it 10/10

Edited by Gentle and Giant - November 13 2023 at 11:05
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2023 at 13:08
HI,

Just saw 2 Ken Russell films. Mahler I had seen before, but had never written a review for it. LISZTOMANIA I had avoided for a long time, as for my tastes with TOMMY, Ken Russell became a sort of cartoonist, and I kinda lost interest, thus never bothered. I did buy the early BBC set of disks, it has a couple of things in it that I really liked. The ELGAR special is great. And one of my favorites had been the DANTE GABRIEL ROSSETTI film, which was very nice and far out.  Also very nice in this set was his film on Isadora Duncan, which was really good.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2023 at 10:43
Chariot (2023)

So low budget they couldn't afford a proper ending it seems. 7 strangers find themselves waking up on a plane with no recollection of how they got there. Sounds crashingly unoriginal but I always get suckered into watching these sort of things. Didn't hate it but can barely recommend it either. Good time passer at 95 minutes and didn't get bored but then that 'ending'... oh dear. 6/10.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2023 at 12:41
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Chariot (2023)

So low budget they couldn't afford a proper ending it seems. 7 strangers find themselves waking up on a plane with no recollection of how they got there. Sounds crashingly unoriginal but I always get suckered into watching these sort of things. Didn't hate it but can barely recommend it either. Good time passer at 95 minutes and didn't get bored but then that 'ending'... oh dear. 6/10.
CORRECTION
It's a 2013 movie NOT 2023
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2023 at 20:00
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Chariot (2023)

CORRECTION
It's a 2013 movie NOT 2023

Thanks, it was trending on Amazon (No 8 in the UK) so I assumed it must be a new film. Also I didn't recognise any of the cast from anything else. 
Apparently it was made for $42,000 which is very impressive in this day and age. As I said it's not bad but I would have liked an ending that was not ambiguous. I felt that a negative ending was appropriate, often those though are shelved after screen tests but would they have even been able to afford screen testing I wonder? It would have been cheaper to do as well. No ending was dissapointing for me.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 10:05
Final Cut 2022 (French with English subtitles)

The idea is a film crew are filming a zombie flick and then are attacked by real zombies. I do like a well made spoof horror film and this is one of the better ones. The structure of the film works well and any questions you have for the first 30 minutes are all answered by the end. It's almost lifting the veil off a very clever magic trick. I liked it. 7/10

Edited by richardh - November 27 2023 at 17:01
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 16:59
The Godfather 1972

I intended to watch the whole saga again in one go but the first film is near 3 hours long so had to cancel that idea. 
My thoughts (in bullet point format)
Is Marlon Brando really that great in this?
Jimmy Caan tends to be overlooked as 'Sonny' but is as good as Brando and Pacino imo
It still shocks in all the right places and doesn't seem dated.
I laughed at times (this is important as it makes it more 'authentic' in my mind)
The 3 hours pass very quickly!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 18:46
^ You could watch The Godfather Saga which combines the first two movies re-edited into one chronologic format, but I prefer them separately.   I agree James Caan was excellent as Sonny---  DeNiro auditioned for the part but his portrayal was so disturbing Coppola went with Caan and gave DeNiro the part of young Vito Corleone in GF II.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 23:48
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ You could watch The Godfather Saga which combines the first two movies re-edited into one chronologic format, but I prefer them separately.   I agree James Caan was excellent as Sonny---  DeNiro auditioned for the part but his portrayal was so disturbing Coppola went with Caan and gave DeNiro the part of young Vito Corleone in GF II.

Interesting, didn't know that even existed but may check it out at some point.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2023 at 01:53
It was a well-meant but ill-conceived TV movie.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 14:25
Napoleon

Ridley Scott's utterly inaccurate & unrealistic non-biopic on the French military prodigy is surprisingly entertaining, which is what a two and-a-half hour movie should & needs to be.   Unlike the equally long but lugubrious Oppenheimer, this is a period piece that moves, fascinates, and filled with the little details Scott is so good with---  the two bridled horses used by scouts, the unipods under a sniper's rifle for accuracy & balance, the lettuce in Marie Antoinette's hair before her head comes off and is held up for all to see [and yet just a few years later the French would have another King and be right back where they started].   Joaquin Phoenix's unexpected and quirky performance is appreciated and the limited love scenes with Vanessa Kirby's Josephine welcomed.   Despite its shortcomings and failures, Napoleon must be judged as the film that it means to be, not what the world expects from it.

Edited by Atavachron - December 01 2023 at 15:02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 210211212213214 217>