Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Greatest ever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Poll Question: Is Dream Theater on the way to becoming the greatest prog band ever?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [13.19%]
204 [86.81%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 16:20

Best band ever?????Confused

I was just about to start a sympathy thread for all those who cant tell the difference between Dream Theater and sh*t!Wink

They play music as if the only instruction they've ever had is watching the guitar duel set-piece from the movie "Crossroads"LOL

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 16:21

Originally posted by Velvetclown Velvetclown wrote:

Sorry, but there is no Easy Livin  Just Lumpy Gravy ......and Ben Nevis

DT before JT VC, surely not?Confused

Just for you:Wink

Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 16:34

I vote yes. To me, they are the greatest band ever.

My opinion... get over it.

Possessed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 17:49
So far 30 negatives and 3 diehard fans.
Beau Heem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 18:04
Originally posted by Possessed Possessed wrote:

So far 30 negatives and 3 diehard fans.

33 nay-sayers and three suspected Die Hard fans...

Surely, claiming DT to be the best of the best of the best equals calling Die Hard / 2 / 3 / n / n+1 art.

Cheers

-beau
--No enemy but time--
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 18:30

Originally posted by antisilence antisilence wrote:

Since the release of Images and Words DT has been the pioneers of NEO PROG ROCK/METAL....but can they be the greatest.I think they can.....Petrucci,Portnoy and Rudess extract incredible feel from every song, especially Petrucci..Rudess isint far behind...and Portnoy is alredy the best ever.John Myung deserves special mention here....for he can outpace most guitarists with thoseincredible fingers and manages to outshine Geddy Lee and King Crimson`s bassists...previously the best with almost laughable alacrity. If they have a stumbling block,its the vocalist.Though Labrie is excellent by most standards,he just isint good enough for DT.Though a good studio artist, his live performances range from good to absolutely horrific.He needs to be more consistent.Other than that...there is nothing to stop this long island fivesome.

Nothing except lack of talent and not having a clue.OK Portnoy is a good drummer and Rudess is a decent keyboard player but they still havn't made one truly memorable peice of music in their entire album discography.What is their 'masterpeice work' then? Greatness should not be ascribed to this bunch of prog wannabies.

(apologies for the aggressiveness of my response but I find the automatic presumption of 'greatness' on this band to be a tad irritating)

billyshears'67 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 19:09
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Since the release of Images and Words DT has been the pioneers of NEO PROG ROCK/METAL....but can they be the greatest.I think they can.....Petrucci,Portnoy and Rudess extract incredible feel from every song, especially Petrucci..Rudess isint far behind...and Portnoy is alredy the best ever.John Myung deserves special mention here....for he can outpace most guitarists with thoseincredible fingers and manages to outshine Geddy Lee and King Crimson`s bassists...previously the best with almost laughable alacrity. If they have a stumbling block,its the vocalist.Though Labrie is excellent by most standards,he just isint good enough for DT.Though a good studio artist, his live performances range from good to absolutely horrific.He needs to be more consistent.Other than that...there is nothing to stop this long island fivesome.

Nothing except lack of talent and not having a clue.OK Portnoy is a good drummer and Rudess is a decent keyboard player but they still havn't made one truly memorable peice of music in their entire album discography.What is their 'masterpeice work' then? Greatness should not be ascribed to this bunch of prog wannabies.

(apologies for the aggressiveness of my response but I find the automatic presumption of 'greatness' on this band to be a tad irritating)

Wait a second here!

DREAM THEATER is a group of highly trained and skilled musician's (3 of which attended Berklee)! I'm sorry, you may not like their music, but don't go as far as saying they have no clue and such, that's simply ignorant!

Their masterpiece work, in my opinion, is either "A Change of Seasons", "Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper", or "Learning to Live."

P.S.
Do you even play an instrument lad?

I do view them as one of the greatest metal bands, but not one of the best prog bands.

Peace & take care

terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 19:12
They are a very important prog-metal band but NO! They'll never be the greatest prog band ever despite their instrumental virtuosity. They're not even pioneers of neo-prog (that would be Genesis, Saga, Marillion) nor prog-metal (that would be King Crimson:Red and Rush).
Xanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 19:39

conservatism is a major force in this forum...with some exceptions

"Oh, yes, sitting-the great leveler. From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?"
John Gargo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 20:21
I voted "Yes," not because I think they are the best band ever... in fact, far from it.  No, I voted "yes" because so many of you people take these polls TOO f**kING SERIOUSLY.  Relax!!!

Edited by John Gargo
Lunarscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 21:03

Not in a million years.....

________

Lunar

Music Is The Soul Bird That Flies In The Immense Heart Of The Listener . . .
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 21:05
I like 'em, but they are no where near the greatest.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 03:20
Originally posted by billyshears'67 billyshears'67 wrote:

Wait a second here!

DREAM THEATER is a group of highly trained and skilled musician's (3 of which attended Berklee)! I'm sorry, you may not like their music, but don't go as far as saying they have no clue and such, that's simply ignorant!

Their masterpiece work, in my opinion, is either "A Change of Seasons", "Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper", or "Learning to Live."

P.S.

I do view them as one of the greatest metal bands, but not one of the best prog bands.

Peace & take care

With respect...''Greatest metal bands?'' ..not even close to Iron Maiden (IMO)  I don't doubt they are very talented musicians.I've seen them live twice and I actually like LTE.However they have not created anything that is really interesting ...in my opinion...and considering the amount of time they've had I think they must be 'clueless'.I've got a 'Change of seasons' and compared to say 2112 by Rush ..well it just doesn't compare.And since I got Tool 'Lateralus' I've come to realise just how mediocre DT are in terms of 'prog metal'.Sorry.

Edited by richardh
chorus of one View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 03:30

Highly trained? Oh my god they attended Berklee! So did thousands of other music students...does that mean all their bands are the greatest ever too? I believe none of them even graduated...  Don't get me wrong, they're pretty good at what they do, but their godlike status among fanboys is entirely undeserved.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 03:32
Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

If Yes can blow them away, they can't be that good...

Them's fightin' words, mister! 

Me?

Pick a fight?

Never... 

Oh - go on then!

/rolls up sleeves...

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 03:41

Wait a second here!

You can be a highly trained musician and be extraordinarily capable in the technique of playing your chosen instrument - but compositional skills are something else. It's a fair point to suggest that they haven't a clue about composition, since they don't seem to use any ground-breaking techniques for adapting form, style, rhythm, melody or harmony - which are the 5 building blocks of music after all. All their pieces use standard rock structures, and often other people's riffs!

I would agree that there seems to be a shortage of imagination in their work, which they seem to make up for by using lots of virtuosic "bluff" - fast stuff designed to dazzle rather than actually fit into the musical structures.

Note also that there are universities, conservatories and colleges that are far more renowned for music teaching than Berklee - most in Europe...

P.S.

The ability to play an instrument is different to the ability to be able to appreciate music

I can't and won't argue with your opinion!

Peace & take care

Edited by Certif1ed
antisilence View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 03:57
Well this response has taken me aback......i admit i gotta listen more.....sorry guys.....but u gotta admit...myung is bloody good!!
Metropolis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 06:04
They are very good, but there are many bands out there that are better, that is kind of a ridiculous suggestion

Edited by Metropolis
We Lost the Skyline............

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 11:32
Instrumental virtuosity and talent have nothing to do with eachother. There's a very good reason a band like Pink Floyd is revered so highly, despite the lack of sheer playing prowess throughout the members. (I know someone's going to jump up and bite my ass for it, but it's true.)
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 11:55
they are the best prog metal, that is all.
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>