FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Syn and & Big Sky back in the stud

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Syn and & Big Sky back in the stud
    Posted: June 17 2008 at 21:48

Steve Nardelli, Tom Brislin (Spiraling/Yes), and Francis Dunnery (It Bites) - along with some very special guest artists - will be back in the studio throughout July '08 to work towards finishing the recording of 'Big Sky'. This project will be the modern incarnation of The Syn's second full studio album (see also 'Syndestructible', 2005, Umbrello Records). These sessions, like those of earlier this year, will be filmed for broadcast on various Web 2.0 media portals through Umbrello Music Entertainment, LLC.

In addition, the virtual band project '14 Hour Technicolour Dream' featuring an original, unreleased song by Steve Nardelli, two Umbrello Records recording artists, Kevin Still (also credited as a producer), Kelly Child and others, with yours truly as executive producer, will complete its recording process - which is already well underway - during that same time period.

Much more information to follow shortly both here and at http://www.synmusic.net

Best,

SmileSteve S-N

Steve Sikes-Nova
Social Networking Webmaster for The Syn & Umbrello Music Entertainment, LLC

Note: The Syn now also have an official page on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Syn/8804892878

Edited by virginiaprogras - June 19 2008 at 05:26
"To err is human; to purr, feline." Robert Byrne

Newgrass, Prog & More! Web Radio

http://www.live365.com/stations/virginiaprograsser

2,200+ Progressive & Eclectic Fans Worldwide Since 2003
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 03:53
I guess the question is "is Chris Squire involved"? From the report above, sadly it would seem not.
iguana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 05:47
i enjoyed SYNDESTRUCTIBLE – gave it a somewhat lukewarm review here but it
has certainly grown on me since. however mr. nardelli seems to be some sort
of oddball to me ... falling out with peter banks and chris squire in such a
short amount of time. ah, well, let's cut the gossip.

now that YES is over (my opinion) maybe squire has time to reconsider?
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?
virginiaprogras View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 08:02
Yes's history is rife with major conflict; remember,  they even split into two bands at one point (the Sguire-led 'Yes' and 'Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe'). In addition, after Peter Banks and Yes parted ways early on he has not played with the band again even though Yes has been a revolving door for many of its other current and former members.

It is interesting that given this very public history of the main members of Yes 'not playing well with others', Steve Nardelli continues to be painted as the "oddball" reason that both Chris Squire and Peter Banks are not currently with The Syn.

Ying%20YangSteve S-N

iguana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 04:04
my two cents: out of the YES canon of members and ex-members it seems to me that
chris squire and alan white (both late of THE SYN) are the most reasonable and ego-free
of the lot and the one's that would certainly both qualify as mediators –also for YES in
numerous cases. don't know about peter banks but he still seems to have some sort of
chip on his shoulder about how(e?) he has been treated as in regards to his YES legacy.
hey, i wouldn't mind the original five back together for some sort of project!

however, given that steve nardelli hasn't been in the public eye musically for approaching
fourty years (also a visible and audible fact, but i found that rather charming and not
negative at all) some of the comments he had made struck me as odd. and i am still
baffled at the velocity of squire's departure, coupled with the very curt statement,
given that the album and tour turned out to be so promising for them.

ah, well, it's francis dunnery now in the SYN – great guitar player, singer and songwriter,
but not exactly known as mr. matey. as long as they create exciting and challenging
music, who cares if they headbutt each other as a personal greeting at rehearsal
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 05:25
Fair enough, iguana, however characterizing Chris Squire as as "ego free" as Alan White (a fine chap, indeed) is somewhat of a stretch...

In any event, Tom Brislin, Steve Nardelli, and Francis Dunnery are getting along quite famously in the 'Big Sky' recording sessions (to resume around July 1st). Just listen (24/7) to my interviews with both Tom and Francis at:

http://www.synmusic.net

to hear their enthusiasm for working with Steve Nardelli on 'Big Sky'.

Best,

:)Steve S-N

iguana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 07:12
Originally posted by virginiaprogras virginiaprogras wrote:

Fair enough, iguana, however characterizing Chris Squire as as "ego free" as Alan White (a fine chap, indeed) is somewhat of a stretch...

well, who is really i derive my theory from the number of solo albums he has recorded
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 10:12
Originally posted by iguana iguana wrote:

Originally posted by virginiaprogras virginiaprogras wrote:

well, who is really i derive my theory from the number of solo albums he has recorded

The lack of solo output does not necessarily = lack of ego...There can be many other factors involved.

Re: "progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?" I say false. My ongoing prog interview series 'Conversations From the Farmhouse" (which includes conversations with Carl Palmer, Chris Squire, Ian Andersons, Dave Cousins, Les Holroyd, Alan White, Billy Sherwood, and Tony Kaye, to date) originates from an old rural Virginia USA farmhouse, Except for the chaos caused by a menagerie of dogs, cats and horses we live quite tranquily indeed. Wink

Winston TK View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 11:45
I, for one, will be somewhat curious about this latest Syn offering.  I was extremely pleased (and surprised) by the previous release, "Syndestructible".  Great production, great playing and great songs all around.  A very pleasing experience.

The addition of Tom Brislin this time around should be a welcome one.  I experienced Mr. Brislin when he was on tour with Yes during their YesSymphonic Tour here in Vancouver awhile back, and he was VERY impressive. 

I do wish, however, that Shane Theriault was playing guitar once again with The Syn.  Maybe he'll be one of the special guest contributors?  I purchased the Syndestructible Tour DVD when it came out and I was blown away by him.  In fact, although Chris Squire was my main reason for checking out the newly revived Syn in the first place, Mr. Theriault really stole the show on many occasions.

Whatever the case, the new album will me on my "must buy" list. 
--Winston TK
 Post Reply Post Reply